Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 7 - Noisey Tranny!...i Think

macman05

Hey guys

Ive had my Gen7 190 '99 for 6 months now. When I first got the car - I noticed straight away that when I am changing down gears and using the gears to slow down (not touching accelerator) I can hear a, what I can only describe as a rattling/metalic sound (kinda like what a old morris minor or old mini sounds make). I argued with the dealership going back and forward, back and forward etc - until finally they agreed to have an independent person look at it. They "thought" it might be something to do with the "overrun" - Im not a mechanic so don't know exactly what that is. Anyway they said they would replace the gearbox with a re-conditioned one. Which they did (SO they say - I got a print out of the work done, but how would i really know). However the same sound can STILL be heard.

Normal accelerating and changing gears when taking off and generally moving from 1-6 are great, engine sounds great and racy, gears sound smooth. Its just when changing down, like ball bearings are making sounds or something. The gears aren't crunching etc

After all the bother I have experienced and the inconvenience of being without my car for long periods of time while this was all getting sorted, I didn't want to endure it again and thought perhaps that these celicas just make that sound.

Searching this forum, I didn't really come across any grovels or rants about the sound levels of the transmission. So thought I would ask what you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys

Ive had my Gen7 190 '99 for 6 months now. When I first got the car - I noticed straight away that when I am changing down gears and using the gears to slow down (not touching accelerator) I can hear a, what I can only describe as a rattling/metalic sound (kinda like what a old morris minor or old mini sounds make). I argued with the dealership going back and forward, back and forward etc - until finally they agreed to have an independent person look at it. They "thought" it might be something to do with the "overrun" - Im not a mechanic so don't know exactly what that is. Anyway they said they would replace the gearbox with a re-conditioned one. Which they did (SO they say - I got a print out of the work done, but how would i really know). However the same sound can STILL be heard.

Normal accelerating and changing gears when taking off and generally moving from 1-6 are great, engine sounds great and racy, gears sound smooth. Its just when changing down, like ball bearings are making sounds or something. The gears aren't crunching etc

After all the bother I have experienced and the inconvenience of being without my car for long periods of time while this was all getting sorted, I didn't want to endure it again and thought perhaps that these celicas just make that sound.

Searching this forum, I didn't really come across any grovels or rants about the sound levels of the transmission. So thought I would ask what you guys think?

So no one has any comments on this issue? Im guessing everyone is satisified with their 6 spd manual transmissions?

Never really come across this. Does the noise go if you press the clutch?

Hmm, yes it does - the noise is most apparent in 2 or 3rd gear and usually its when say your coming up to traffic lights and as you approach, you are changing gears to slow down and not using the brake, so the gears are engaging and slowing the car down.

If I were to drift up to the lights with the clutch pressed in, the sound would not be heard as the gears aren't slowing the car down.

Someone in another forum commented that celicas have noisey trannys, would u guys agree? (gen 7 models with 6 spd manual)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I have just bought a celica 2001 190 model and I think it has the same problem as you describe, did you find out what the problem was with your car?

Thanks

With out being able to hear your problem its hard to diagnose, to view your gearbox to see if has had a recon unit, most suppliers mark their boxes so no one pulls a fast one by sending a faulty box back,ie: now having 2 good boxes if you follow.

I should imagine the gearbox will have been out prior to your replacement work,and it would not really be possible,just by looking at it to say wether the box was replaced.

I would atleast expect the gear oil to be NOT BLACK (in for some time)

They changed your gear box (hopefully), they disturbed the clutch release bearing, they didnt comment on its condition, so thats good, or they didnt check it at gearbox refitting.

I wouldnt be surprised if 2 support bearings are failing inside the box, would require a road test to listern to, (heard plenty) on box strip down, due to wear and tear, replace all shaft support bearings, if it is internal shaft bearings, when they fail the shafts could drop and jam the gears up.

Views and ideas only,hope you get to the bottom of it.

Hey thanks for your input.. My brother is a mechnic so I might mention this to him and see what he thinks... Im dreading him to confirm if something is indeed wrong, the dealership was a pain to deal with when I made they replace the transmission when I first got it... *sigh*

Will report back if I hear something..

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links