Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alarm Faults On Auris T180

NADP555

I purchased my Auris T180 over 12months ago .It is on a 07 plate. I am having no end of trouble with the alarm going off on it for no reason at all. Been back a number of times to the garage who tell me they cannot find a fault code error. They have changed various sensors but still have the problem. They asked if I had mobile phones in the car or anything electrical. I haven't. They thought it might be radio interference by mobile phone masts or electric fence on a nearby farm. Again this is not the case as it happens away from home and not in one location. They really have not got a clue. Obvious things like Windows,Sun roof closed, door shut properly,nothing hanging in car..all checked.

They have changed the key fobs & reprogrammed it to another frequency. but still no joy.

You can shake the car and the alarm will not go off, so it is not wind,motion sensor.

We also had "Check Air Bag" come up from time to time then go out. Every time I take it back to the garage,they could find no fault or fault code stored.

This week when it came on again and I drove straight to the garage and did not turn the car off. They found a fault with a sensor under the seat, and told me this could also be related to the alarm problem!

Two days after having the car back at 6.24am. this morning,the alarm went off again!

I phoned the garage, the manager who told me what they had found earlier this week was away on holiday,so I spoke to another person who told me some thing entirely different. He said they had found a fault with the microphone sensor in the car and had de-sensortised it. As it is still going off, they said they will order a new one! Different to what i had been told by the manager.

I did find on the forum a posting dated last Nov of someone with an alarm fault on an Auris. At the time I had not registered on the forum. Went away to register,but can't now find the posting.........Any help in any direction, will be appreciated. Thanks..

Not really going to help with this but i dont believe alarm on the T180 is known to be troublesome, I have not seen anything here that suggests otherwise. Never had any problems with mine although it went off once when a kid kicked a stone which hit the underside of my car and it went off, I thought that was impressive!

• 2 weeks later...
I purchased my Auris T180 over 12months ago .It is on a 07 plate. I am having no end of trouble with the alarm going off on it for no reason at all. Been back a number of times to the garage who tell me they cannot find a fault code error. They have changed various sensors but still have the problem. They asked if I had mobile phones in the car or anything electrical. I haven't. They thought it might be radio interference by mobile phone masts or electric fence on a nearby farm. Again this is not the case as it happens away from home and not in one location. They really have not got a clue. Obvious things like Windows,Sun roof closed, door shut properly,nothing hanging in car..all checked.

They have changed the key fobs & reprogrammed it to another frequency. but still no joy.

You can shake the car and the alarm will not go off, so it is not wind,motion sensor.

We also had "Check Air Bag" come up from time to time then go out. Every time I take it back to the garage,they could find no fault or fault code stored.

This week when it came on again and I drove straight to the garage and did not turn the car off. They found a fault with a sensor under the seat, and told me this could also be related to the alarm problem!

Two days after having the car back at 6.24am. this morning,the alarm went off again!

I phoned the garage, the manager who told me what they had found earlier this week was away on holiday,so I spoke to another person who told me some thing entirely different. He said they had found a fault with the microphone sensor in the car and had de-sensortised it. As it is still going off, they said they will order a new one! Different to what i had been told by the manager.

I did find on the forum a posting dated last Nov of someone with an alarm fault on an Auris. At the time I had not registered on the forum. Went away to register,but can't now find the posting.........Any help in any direction, will be appreciated. Thanks..

may be same set up as the corolla? under bonnet switch see if the tab on the bonnet is fully pressing down on the switch if not adjust the tab to fully close the switch,just a thought.

Another thing with the bonnet switch, because of the position, just check there is no corrosion or water ingress into the micro switch. Trouble with checking for faults on alarms through the onboard diagnostics is that the system might not see it as a fault, but a geniune reason to sound alarm.

Keep us posted :)

Thanks for input guys. Still waiting for garage to say mcrophone sensor has come in they are supposed to have ordered. To date the alarm has not gone off again..Thats the power of the forum!! Let you know what they fit and when and the outcome..

Most car alarms rely on a voltage drop in their electrics to activate the system so any electrical fault in a system which is still active when the car is parked can trigger the system - even water ingress to some areas can cause similar symptoms. Try shaking the doors, bonnet and boot lid to see if anything happens - if so that would denote a switch problem. If you suspect an interior volumetric sensor to be at fault sticking a piece of good old duct tape over them can prevent them from activating although remember this may invalidate your insurance should the worse happen. Sometimes it a case of elimating each sensor or switch in turn.:)

Most car alarms rely on a voltage drop in their electrics to activate the system so any electrical fault in a system which is still active when the car is parked can trigger the system - even water ingress to some areas can cause similar symptoms. Try shaking the doors, bonnet and boot lid to see if anything happens - if so that would denote a switch problem. If you suspect an interior volumetric sensor to be at fault sticking a piece of good old duct tape over them can prevent them from activating although remember this may invalidate your insurance should the worse happen. Sometimes it a case of elimating each sensor or switch in turn.:)

any tech in mrT,s garages will be able to plug in their tester and identify the fault clearly

also microphone sensors are a fairly common fault on t180 and verso models

Thanks for comments & Advice. Still waiting for garage to get back to me when the part comes in. Don't want to compromise security of vehicle and should not have to on a vehicle under warranty. So hope the garage can finally fix it. Again when I do hear news , will keep you all posted.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Hi Andy SR180. As usual, once a problem is fixed, you don't go back to forum. So sorry for slow reply from your posting in 2010. Not sure what eventually fixed my problem, as they changed many things and recoded my alarm to a different frequency.  But yes it stopped it, but guess what.......... It's started again. Thinking it might be a Battery drain issue (AS I have original Battery on my now 10 yr old car ) I connected my car to a trickle Battery charger so the voltage would not drop.  Alarm goes off every 15 mins.  Looking for further guidance on this problem again they do say the security light that flashes, flashes once, twice, or three times depending on sensor that has been triggered.Just spoken to Toyota who when I asked the Q. which sensor is it, they said they would have to look at the car!  and double locking it , the alarm won't fo off. After 'discussion' I did say my Q. was simply what sensor has been triggered. Reluctantly after a long wait while they spoke to the technician, they told me one flashing light was the bonnet.  So I will try either spraying the contact switch or changing it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links