Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heated External Mirrors On T-spirit Gen 2 Model

Jolly's Prius

Hi all,

I got a second hand 2006 (06) reg T-Spirit model and not sure does my car have heated external mirrors.

There are 2 switches on my steering wheel which control the rear heated screen and the front screen. Is it to do with either of them?

I only got this 2 weeks now and there are so many toys to play with....

Please suggest someone?

Jolly

No heated mirrors on any T spirit. I would like electrically operated wing mirrors like the Avensis has.

Nope, the UK spec Gen 2 doesn't have them and it has caused the odd heated thread. It was a bizarre decision by Toyota GB, which has never been explained, and is esp odd when the Spanish Gen 2 did have them!

Nope, the UK spec Gen 2 doesn't have them and it has caused the odd heated thread. It was a bizarre decision by Toyota GB, which has never been explained, and is esp odd when the Spanish Gen 2 did have them!

But the new Gen 3 has them doesn't it?

I believe so. When it gets colder you'll be able to tell us :P

It does cos they worked yesterday morning but they're slow.

And no, I'm not rubbing anyones nose in it. This is the first new car I've ever had and only cos I need it for work (and that I'm coming upto 40 :( ) My last couple cars after the divorce have been erm, well used examples to put it mildly. I am fascinated by how well some of the original saloon versions of the Prius are holding up as well as holding their values. There is a lot of bad press and nonsense printed about the Prius but I'm converted. It is exceeding my expectations so far - love it :)

I have a Gen 2 T Spirit so no luxury like heated mirrors. I do not know the full spec of the Gen 3.

I have kept away from the Toyota showroom just in case I get tempted to get the Gen 3 you guys go on about. I will have to wait a year or so before I change to a gen3 as my Gen 2 is not even run in yet!!

I'm constantly surprised at the seemingly arbitrary and often bizarre differences in Prius spec between one market and the other.

e.g. The US GenII's could not be had with height adjustable drivers seat and had drum rear brakes. Why drum brakes? I also note that most US GenII's came with 15" wheels whereas we have 16".

I'm sure there are explanations for most of these regional differences but what on earth would make Toyota spec heated mirrors in Spain and US but not here? There are GenII owners in Arizona with heated mirrors in 100 Deg plus sunshine. I'd love to hear the reasoning for that!

I'm constantly surprised at the seemingly arbitrary and often bizarre differences in Prius spec between one market and the other.

e.g. The US GenII's could not be had with height adjustable drivers seat and had drum rear brakes. Why drum brakes? I also note that most US GenII's came with 15" wheels whereas we have 16".

I'm sure there are explanations for most of these regional differences but what on earth would make Toyota spec heated mirrors in Spain and US but not here? There are GenII owners in Arizona with heated mirrors in 100 Deg plus sunshine. I'd love to hear the reasoning for that!

Hi Darren

I agree with you. It seems ridiculous that we get fobbed off with half of the accessories that other countries get but hey-ho that is Toyota for you. I think it is all down to penny pinching, cost cutting, etc, you would think that on a flagship motor like the Prius they would pull out all the stops as regarding accessories we can have in this country.

Stompe

:thumbsup:

Been sleeping on this for a while :rolleyes: and I recon it's the difference between RHD and LHD models. LHD countries have a wide variety of temperature extremes (Northern USA, Russia, Germany etc), whereas with the RHD countries ours is the only one I can think of where heated mirrors might be of use (think Japan, Australia, New Zealand, India etc).

I realise that each country has its own specs and model differences but maybe they just didn't bother designing heated mirrors for the RHD market. Perhaps ours are just slightly modified Japanese spec machines with a rear fog light stuck on?

Thanks for all of you who replied to my query. Its a shame that they (Toyota GB) forgot to put the heated mirrors for the Gen 2 models...and don't forget it is a top of the range spec as well!

What going on in here - Toyota GB?

Jolly

Been sleeping on this for a while :rolleyes: and I recon it's the difference between RHD and LHD models. LHD countries have a wide variety of temperature extremes (Northern USA, Russia, Germany etc), whereas with the RHD countries ours is the only one I can think of where heated mirrors might be of use (think Japan, Australia, New Zealand, India etc).

I'm sure both Japan and Nz have extreme climate variations, both have snow and the full range of weather as we have?

Janian august 2008 T Spirit Prius has heated mirrors brought on by screen heaters switches.

Dealer service manager told me at first service.

Morning All,

I am equally frustrated with the lack of heated mirrors and have looked at all sorts of options to try and overcome. I have asked Toyota about retro-fit but they claim it can't be done. I did find this link from eBay for someone who is suggesting that there is an a heated mirror replacement for the UK model and that he has sold lots of them without any complaints. However when I asked about the present of an appropriate point to plug in the wiring harness to plug the heated element embedded in the mirror, he said he did not know. I am loathed to buy the thing even though it is not very pricey for fear that after taking the whole assembly apart I have nowhere to connect up. For those interested the link is below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-PRIUS-HYBRID-...=item3356bcdabb

Anyone brave enough to try please share the experience.

I suppose I can't throw away the can of de-icer just yet. :angry:

Cheers

Yes, heated mirrors would have been jolly useful first thing this morning - my mirrors were fogged up again before I'd even reached the end of the street.

Sorry, no idea about the door mirror wiring, as you have done I would err on the side of caution and guess that they don't have the heater wiring installed.