Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dealer Service And The Scangauge Ii Cable?

timberwolf

My Prius is due for its first annual service soon. For those with a ScanGauge II, do you unplug and remove your cable from the OBDII socket before taking the car into be serviced at the garage?

Normally, when I park the car, I unplug the cable at the RJ45 end and take my SGII out of the car. I leave my cable permanently plugged in at the DLC3 (OBDII) socket. I've got one of those velcro cable wraps to stop the cable falling out onto my feet, and I've simply feed the cable out through the opening containing the bonnet release level and then up to the dash with a short length of the cable laying there, with the door closed the speaker has bent the cable.

I removed mine from the socket as I assumed it would be needed for the service (and wanted to avoid giving the garage any opportunity to hassle me about it!). I actually leave it connected the rest of the year. Have to remind myself of the proper reconnection procedure though!

I removed mine from the socket as I assumed it would be needed for the service (and wanted to avoid giving the garage any opportunity to hassle me about it!). I actually leave it connected the rest of the year. Have to remind myself of the proper reconnection procedure though!

Can I ask a really dumb question - What is this cable you're on about?

Thanks. I've sort of semi-installed my cable, with a cable-tie and wedged it along the grey rubber near the door - I'd prefer to just unplug the OBDII end but otherwise leave the cable where I've routed it (but I have the same concern WRT to what the dealer may think about it - I'm probably worrying too much)

I don't think I follow a proper reconnection procedure as such, as I thought that was only necessary if you swapped it to a new vehicle, I just plug the SGII back into the RJ45, it lights up and then I start the car. Before disconnecting it from the RJ45, I always wait for it to go to sleep, I think it says to wait as that ensures it saves correctly.

Grumpy Cabbie, I think you may have more than enough kit in your car soon without getting one of these http://www.scangauge.com/ B)

Can I ask a really dumb question - What is this cable you're on about?

Scangauge is a computer that you can plug into the OBDII port (a socket on most modern cars) and have it display a myriad of info on the car's performance, error codes and much more, see here.

It's a superb tool, perhaps a little geeky for some but it can reveal some very useful info.

I've just ordered my Scangauge, can't wait to get it and sort out a mount. Going to try and knock up a small wooden base for it so it can sit atop the steering column shroud.

I've just ordered my Scangauge, can't wait to get it and sort out a mount. Going to try and knock up a small wooden base for it so it can sit atop the steering column shroud.

Post a picture of your final set-up, I'm sure others would be interested to see it. Also, your favourite gauges once you've had a chance to play bit!

Timberwolf,

The 'connection procedure' glitch I experienced was when I disconnected from the OBD socket with all systems off before the service, and then reconnected again with all systems off after the service. As I tried to drive off, all manner of emergency dash lights & alarms came on and the car just slowed to halt (first time I'd experienced a complete disconnection betwen the pedals and the car's response!). The SGII manual says you should connect it up with the car on in 'Ready' mode (not even 'Acc') or 'invalid error messages may be seen' - slight understatement there! Perhaps this doesn't apply when disconnecting at the RJ45 end.

Post a follow up on what you decide to do and (if anything) the garage says!

Yikes! I'd forgotten that it was possible to crash the OBDII bus.

I'll try to remember to post a follow up in about a weeks time.

• 2 weeks later...

Are these any good? Surely alot of the gizmo's on the prius tell what this "scanguage" does. As for the fault codes, in my expirience they are just so reliable its not often you see the engine warning light on.

Post a follow up on what you decide to do and (if anything) the garage says!

I left the cable partially installed with the RJ45 end laying on the dash (SGII not in the car) and unplugged the OBD II end. With the OBD II unplugged, I found that the cable dangled down in front of the pedals, so I temporarily velcro tie-wrapped the OBD II plug end below the bonnet release lever opening.

No comment about the cable, but then I was underwhelmed by the customer care, so I am not sure if the cable got no comment because I hadn't left much clue as to its function or they just weren't interested. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Are these any good? Surely alot of the gizmo's on the prius tell what this "scanguage" does. As for the fault codes, in my expirience they are just so reliable its not often you see the engine warning light on.

It's not for fault codes that most of us use them. It's for data such as RPM, inverter temp, traction Battery, ignition timing etc which you can't get from the MFD. All very useful if you're interested and helps improve your fuel saving technique.