Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Flush - Good Or Bad?

Exmeg2

Over the years I have sought advice about using engine flush when carrying out an oil change. The majority of respondents have been in favour of using it but a sizeable number of highly experienced engineers have advised against it because in their opinion a chemical flush may accelerate the wear of some engine seals. Does anyone have any definitive information on this subject?

I have never used it. Reason- even if you don't flush the engine it will last much longer that many other parts in your car- in terms of wear. If you want to push out old oil just use liter or two of new oil while draining.

Dont bother with them, most or kerosene, or parrafin based and can do more harm then good.

Quality oil, regular changes and all will be tip top.

Cheers

Guy

I've never head of anyone doing any definitive scientific test on this so really can't help there.

My opinion based on years of experience of working on and maintaining many types of vehicles ... complete waste of time and money. Regular oil changes with quality oil .... to suit driving style ... if you regularly thrash it .... change the oil more often, will be absolutely fine, don't think flushing will extend the life of anything much or maintain better efficiency.

Only time I can recall using flushing agents was on a fiesta, the oil had turned to sludge/jelly (not sure why but might just not have been changed for a very long time) and wouldn't even drain via the drain plug ... surprised it didn't already sound like a bucket of nails! and sure wouldn't be taking any bets on it having a long and useful life!

I had an accidental "flush" of a motorcycle engine a while back .... leaky carb float valves let petrol through filling the engine with petrol ..... (not allowed overflow pipes on carbs anymore apparently for environmental reasons :angry: ). Now I worry that maybe seals or plastic parts may have been damaged .... it sat probably for several weeks with the engine full of petrol .... :(

taking it back to basics...

Toyota test the performance and durability of this engine, I am guessing around 400k km , in these conditions they will thrash it, in extreme conditions (using climatic chambers), they will run durability, all sort of drive cycles etc to recreate as many of the customers usages around the world as possibe...

They will only use oil and diesel and coolant as per drawing specifications...

If the engine needed flushes, additives , extra super cool oils etc to make it last etc... it would mean that Toyota, the most reliable, quality driven car manufacturer in the world is not doing its job properly.

Toyota don't recommend or sell it , so it is not required to assure the reliability of the car, just maintain it as per their recommendations, using their recommended parts, materials.

If the dealer is offering it, it is a "side business" where the dealer is trying to extort more money from you, don't bother, and ask them if TOYOTA fully approve this action. I bet they will start to be a bit "vague"....

I'm with both Aurissimo and Rumbly.

Toyota don't test, sell or recommend this as part of your normal service schedule and therefore your engine doesn't need it.

In extreme circumstances (engines where the oil has been left in so long it has turned to the consistency of icing sugar) there is a place for using it to clear all that semi-solidified muck out.

In summary, forget it

Guy aka Oilman is, as far as I am concerned, right and I am with GregP on this. Try putting in some cheap oil and run it round for a hundred miles and then change it for really good oil.

It worked for me for many years when I had to run around in old cars :yes:

• 1 year later...

engine flush burnd damaged my ring on my diesel and it started giving off a lot of white smoke illegal to drive on roads dont use flush in my opinion x

The way i see it, is if you use engine flush to shift the last bits of oil from your engine, what do you use to get the engine flush out of the same nooks and crannies?

Its a detergent not an oil, so having that inside an engine isn't going to do it any favours.

The correct oil will be good enough to run way past the recommended change interval, but by changing it earlier than required they are guaranteeing the life of the engine.

Stick to the intervals with the recommended oil and your car will be fine.

AFAIK, full flushes are an emergency procedure, not something you should ever have to do regularly.

Edit: Ooops, another necro-thread! :lol:

engine flush burnd damaged my ring

Bad luck there mate, hope it's healed up now ;)

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring up and old thread, but I have just had an oil change done at Mr. T and when I looked at the itemized bill they charged me for an engine flush. £10.01. With a part number of 5.

So is it still bad to do an engine flush ? How are they doing the flush and what are they using.....

Regards.... :huh:

Sorry to bring up and old thread, but I have just had an oil change done at Mr. T and when I looked at the itemized bill they charged me for an engine flush. £10.01. With a part number of 5.

So is it still bad to do an engine flush ? How are they doing the flush and what are they using.....

Regards.... :huh:

its like changing the remote Battery,anything for a profit.as an engine flush is not part of the service,you should have asked if you wanted it done.as anywork above the sevice schedule should require your permission.unless you said anything like do what needs to be done.

You would have thought a dealer would have to stick with what Toyota recommends.

These are extras the dealer I bought the car from offers: http://www.toyotaservicesense.co.uk/extras.html

they recommend a engine flush at 10000 miles what a con trick.why would an engine need this.

and the coolant change at 30000 miles.

thet are making it seems that these and other items are part of a service.would not trust these with my motor.

You would have thought a dealer would have to stick with what Toyota recommends.

These are extras the dealer I bought the car from offers: http://www.toyotaser....uk/extras.html

Now thats a strange one! As I thought that Mr T didn't recommend an engine flush having read this thread? Maybe some others on here will know the answer to this one?! :thumbsup:

It might be a franchise recommendation, not a Toyota recommendation.

its a money making scam.i bet they tell customers who know no better that thy need new brake pads etc when only part worn.the add is worded to make customers think is part of a service approved by toyota.

• Like 1

I'm sticking by my original post on this one.

This looks like the garage is offering extras, and why not?.

If they are making them look like or suggesting they are actual Toyota recomendations .... then it's a con.

If they charged you for something not in the official Toyota service item list without asking, go and ask for your money back.

• Like 1

What about this Auto-RX?

another one for the trade discription act.if your oil changes are done when they should be why would need to flush at 25000 miles.whether diesel or petrol.

Just thinking, if there is a probability of a big chunk of something block an oil path after a flush, then there are big chunks of something in the engine bay left. Or this is a lie too. If it is, than do not read the rest.

How to clean those chunks? I know that the engine flush is not mentioned in the service manual but the cleaning of the EGR is not mentioned eather, still many people have the EGR cleaned! We are all counting on the good oil and fuel, but still we are not sure of the quality of that oil, nor the quality of the fuel. As it appears many EGR's a cloged up badly.

EGR a cleaned out cos they do get carboned up.what makes you think your engine is that dirty to need a flush.yes a very dirty engine may have lots of sludge in it,that with earlier oils this would stick to things in your engine.later oils have more detergent in the,the sludge making carbon is held in suspension in the oil and will drain out when draining sump.if your engine is a diesel,then your oil may well appear black,but this normal.at about 90000 miles i had to remove the cam cover on my old passat td cos of a gasket leak,the camshaft and cylinder head were as clean as the day the engine was built.yet the oil soon got black after a oil change.just do the normal oil changes and your engine will be ok.when you change your oil it does not all get drained out.so the there is some left in that will make your new oil dirty looking.so if you flush your engine your going to leave some of this flushing oil in and this will contaminate your nice new oil and reduce its viscosity,as flushing oil is very thin.and a strong detergent.

10x for the explanation "acetip". I was just questioning the phrase "Don't do it, because is not in the manual.", which is not true for the EGR. I don't think anything, just wondering if it's needed. May be it's reasonable to do, if you are buying a second hand car with a questionable history (as 90% of the second hand cars in my country), but with a quick oil change after the flush (may be a 2K miles change, after the flush), so that it could remove the leftovers of the flush agent.