Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Flush - Good Or Bad?

Exmeg2

10x for the explanation "acetip". I was just questioning the phrase "Don't do it, because is not in the manual.", which is not true for the EGR. I don't think anything, just wondering if it's needed. May be it's reasonable to do, if you are buying a second hand car with a questionable history (as 90% of the second hand cars in my country), but with a quick oil change after the flush (may be a 2K miles change, after the flush), so that it could remove the leftovers of the flush agent.

why not fill sump to min on dipstck then do 10/20 miles then drain and refill.that would get the residue of the flushing fluid out, as acetip suggested on another post,

which sounds sensible to me.

If the oil coming out of the sump runs freely, then there shouldn't be too much of an issue.

If it is like sludge, then it may be worth using an engine flush.

I wouldn't use it just for the sake of it.

• 10 months later...

Old topic i know, but!

I have just booked my 2010 Auris SR for its 2year service, 12200 miles on the clock and the oil is still quite clean, £199 but no mention of brake fluid change which is apparently

recommended at 2 years old and costs £39. I was told "we recommend an engine flush and fuel treatment for £33 " i can find nothing in the handbook where Toyota recommend an

engine flush and fuel treatment, whatever that is, but when i take the car in Wednesday i will ask what Toyota head office would make of it.

Common sense tells me not to drain the oil and then run the engine with something like parrafin in it, sounds like a con trick to me and i really expected better from Toyota.

Dont have the the flush or fuel treatment they are not needed.its juat a money making scam for them.

Its funny they mention the flush and treatment but not the brake fluid change which is required. If you have any brake problems,you may have them saying that it was caused by not having the fluid changed.

Hiya I have just had my 20k service on my 2010 sr (18 months old) and brake fluid was changed.

No mention of engine flush though....sounds a bit dodge to me!

• 3 months later...

Old topic i know, but!

I have just booked my 2010 Auris SR for its 2year service, 12200 miles on the clock and the oil is still quite clean, £199 but no mention of brake fluid change which is apparently

recommended at 2 years old and costs £39. I was told "we recommend an engine flush and fuel treatment for £33 " i can find nothing in the handbook where Toyota recommend an

engine flush and fuel treatment, whatever that is, but when i take the car in Wednesday i will ask what Toyota head office would make of it.

Common sense tells me not to drain the oil and then run the engine with something like parrafin in it, sounds like a con trick to me and i really expected better from Toyota.

That doesn't happen. The stuff is added before the old oil is drained. The engine is then run on tick over for a few minutes after which the oil is drained. The purpose of the stuff is to dissolve any gums, formed from the interaction of the oil with combustion products, that gradually form around the oil ports around the circumference of each piston. I'm referring to those holes you see in the piston located between the compression and oil scraper rings. It's just to ensure that these oil ports are completely open maintaining maximum oil pressure where it is needed most; where the piston rings are in contact with the cylinder wall.

You don't have to do it if you don't want to. A car that's only a year old might not benefit that much, if at all (I stand to be corrected here). The older the vehicle is, the more likely several of these oil supply ports may become clogged or blocked completely, adding to engine wear. The only real way to tell is to strip the engine down and have a look. When does that tend to happen? When the engine's knackered, of course. Too late then though. I'm sure Toyota has no objection to selling you a new engine or reboring your old one - for a price.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links