Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To: Remove Rear Bumper

nrgizerbunny

Here's a how to remove rear bumper, just in case you prang it, or like me wanted to install a wifi aerial.

Things you will need:

1. A long 10mm socket

2. A flat bladed screwdriver to remove clips.

1. Firstly Lift the bootlid up, take out the parcel shelf and fold the seats forward

bumper0001.JPG

2. Take out the lining that the spare tyre has above it, this should just lift out

bumper0002.JPG

3. Take out the bolts that hold the trim around the boot lock, 3 bolts, these also take the hooks out.

bumper0003.JPG

bumper0004.JPG

4. pull the plastic trim off

bumper0005.JPG

5. If you look through the cill, you'll see two studs with nuts on them, these are 10mm and need removing. You will need a LONG 10mm socket to get them off. you could try with pliers but you might be there all day.

there is one on the left and right of the vehicle

bumper0006.JPG

bumper0007.JPG

6. pull the trim towards the filler cap away from the body, you will now be able to get at the lights, these don't actually need to be removed (you can apparently get the bumper off without doing it, but when i tried i almost broke a clip!).

bumper0008.JPG

7. Using a 10mm long socket, remove the lights, there are 3 studs with nuts.

bumper0009.JPG

bumper0010.JPG

8. Once this is done, remove the light fitting and disconnect the wiring loom.

bumper0011.JPG

bumper0012.JPG

9. The car will now look like this

bumper0013.JPG

10. Remove the screws at the back of the wheel arch, one either side

bumper0014.JPG

11. Now working underneath the car, you need to remove 12 clips. pull the middle out with a screwdriver or lump of plastic, then withdraw. its pretty obvious which ones hold the bumper on.

bumper0015.JPG

bumper0016.JPG

bumper0017.JPG

12. working from a wheel arch, *lift the bumper up slightly* then towards you, if you took the lights out, you can disengage the clip fairly easily.

bumper0018.JPG

bumper0019.JPG

13. here's the bumper removed

bumper0020.JPG

14. here's my wifi aerial!

bumper0021.JPG

thats about it

• Like 1

Nice write up.

When I took mine off I did with the rear lights installed. That did not give me any headaches, but the side clips sure dide... :o

• 3 months later...

Thanks for this very handy tutorial nrgizerbunny! I used it this weekend on my pre-face lift to replace the bumper (still with another pre-face lift version - it came from a T3). A couple of small bits of information that might be of help to anyone else doing this.....

On your point 11 I only had 6 of the plastic clips to remove. Ended up breaking one.....can anyone recommend where you can pick up replacements?

11. Now working underneath the car, you need to remove 12 clips. pull the middle out with a screwdriver or lump of plastic, then withdraw. its pretty obvious which ones hold the bumper on.

With the replacement bumper (PFL) for the T Sport to reattach the mud guards I had to pierce one small hole either side in the bumper. The mudguards are held in with 2 screws, the first of which screws in from underneath, that hole was already in the bumper. The other screw comes from the side, the replacement bumper having come from a T3 that didn't have mud guards didn't have that hole, so I just had to pierce through the bumper to create it.

the two places for the clips are the dealers or scrapyards. when it comes to clips i usually buy new as the uv light, crud, muck etc causes much swearing and cursing so i avoid scrappies for them.

• 5 years later...

Hi

I am new here looking to install reverse sensors on mine... Unfortunately i cant see pictures...am I doing something wrong .

Ta..

Hi

I am new here looking to install reverse sensors on mine... Unfortunately i cant see pictures...am I doing something wrong .

Ta..

Nope, sad to say the original poster left the forum and in a bit of a tantrum and took all his pictures with him.

Still, if you are fitting aftermarket reversing sensors there is no need to remove the bumper.

If you look underneath the bumper you can see there is plenty of room to get the wires through.

Fitted them myself so do know it is quiet easy - just nervey when drilling the hole though the nice paintwork ! - assume you kit has a proper drill bit with hole saw.

Practice your hole drilling on a piece of plastic drain pipe first

post-95973-0-79622700-1427060759_thumb.j

• Like 1

thanks for you reply. I though my computer was going nuts.

Just say you have done a great job on yours. I have the aftermarket kit which came with the drill bit. TBH I am bricking. I will try it on the drain pipe though good suggestion.

Thanks for your help.

You need to ensure that your holes miss the crash bar located behind the bumper.

Take your time with the marking out to ensure you get the sensors level and evenly spaced.

When drilling the hole, start off with a very small drill to act as a pilot hole so that bigger drill bit does not slip on the curved bumper.

Use some sellotape over the area to help stop the paint chipping.

As the pic shows, seal the senors with some clear silicone to stop the wet getting in.

post-95973-0-55245500-1427113988_thumb.j

post-95973-0-43057500-1427114002_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Hi,

All Nrgizerbunnys pics were removed by him when he left the forum after an altercation.