Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Driving The Carina In Moderate Or High Winds...

twinrage

I've recently noticed when driving in moderate to high winds the Carina blows all over the place, anyone else noticed this?

The winds today for example were blowing me all over the place, I felt pretty unsafe. I thought about other things causing this but can't think of anything oter than the wind. I've never noticed the effects of a gust of wind actually moving the car like that in any other vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...
I've recently noticed when driving in moderate to high winds the Carina blows all over the place, anyone else noticed this?

The winds today for example were blowing me all over the place, I felt pretty unsafe. I thought about other things causing this but can't think of anything oter than the wind. I've never noticed the effects of a gust of wind actually moving the car like that in any other vehicle.

Could be your tyres, I put a new set on for my dad's car = significant improvement in road holding even in the bad better weather last weekend. My Tsport suffers on the motorway in crazy weather because it's a taller vehicle.

Carinas are known for there boaty suspension and handling so tis to be expected unfortunately.

My last one did it,even with Bilsteins and cut springs,leaving it alot lower than usual,and still it got buffeted by strong winds.

And only today,my latest Carina had the same problem,and its just as low as the last one.

Tyres have nothing to do with it,i'm running with a good Firestone 195/45/16 with plenty of thread and it still moves in the wind.

I have had two carinas in the past noticed with both of them if it was windy the moved around a lot.

Have too agree tyres wont make any difference, its just a large car catching a gust.

Have yet to find out with the t sport, no doubt the way thing are looking with the weather it wont be long though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate, i have a Carina E 1.8

i don't have to be high winds that makes the Carina steer the way it does. To me it wanders of the line all the time on the motorway without a wind, and there is nothing wrong with the steering no play mechanicaly that can explain it. My friend has a Mitsubishi carisma gdi and that aslo has lazy steering which is less positive than the Carina round corners. To me it is a fundamental chassis fault whereby the back end is steeing the car very slightly. Whilst i reply does anyone know who has succssefully disabled the imobaliser alarm system on these cars?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised to see other Carinas being reportedly unstable on the Motorway, I've done over 30000 miles in my (90000 mile total) '94 Carina 1.6 XLi saloon, many of them on Motorways \ dual carriageways and I always feel smug at how stable my cheap old car feels in strong winds at high speeds, it never has any tendancies to wander and remains really pleasurable / effortless to drive. It's on a mix of various cheap tyres too.

My wifes '07 Yaris 1.0.......now that does have a mind of its own on the road, horrible!

hi i have had a carina 1.6gli only in a realy high wind going over the orwell bridge did i get buffet a bout not a whole lot but i supose diffint poeple feel less safe than others now i have a 1.8si much stiffer suspension it is awesome feel realy sturdy even in gale force and i have had over 18 diffrant cars driven to destruction some only lasting a week my k 1.6 carina that my dad had for 7years lasted me 3 thats my record it was still going with 120000 k never broke down just decided to upgrad and when you see a 1.8si r reg with 71000 on the clock going for 450 pound you get it quick

• 2 years later...

I've not had my E estate for very long but so far I have found it to be a very solid and stable car, in many ways much more stable than my previous car, a much newer Astra hatch. Tbh I bloody love my Carina.

Yes i can vouch for that! They dont inspire confidence thats for sure! What i notice more than being gusted by wind is straight line steering on the motorway has to be consciously corrected all the time cant understand why a lot more carina owners have not admitted to this weak point

To me its just an old man's car that has to be accepted for what it is if we want cheap reliable motoring?? Dont think there is any mod that will cure it maybe a lowering kit in your case!??