Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Difficult To Reverse D4d 2003 (new M)

pero2

Hi,

I'm having difficulties putting the car in reverse, I really have to depress the clutch pedal fully (and I mean fully) and even then it sometimes sticks and have to try several times- any ideas where might be the problem? There are no signs on clutch being worn (like slipping uphill). 132.000 KM on the meter.

Thanks!

Peter

Hi,

I'm having difficulties putting the car in reverse, I really have to depress the clutch pedal fully (and I mean fully) and even then it sometimes sticks and have to try several times- any ideas where might be the problem? There are no signs on clutch being worn (like slipping uphill). 132.000 KM on the meter.

Thanks!

Peter

Have you tried engaging the gears with the engine stopped. If they engage easily then the problem is likely to be the clutch. This could be a problem of adjustment or a worn thrust bearing. If the gear is hard to engage then the problem will be the gearbox or linkage.

Fitter

Hi,

Thanks!

Peter

Have you tried engaging the gears with the engine stopped. If they engage easily then the problem is likely to be the clutch. This could be a problem of adjustment or a worn thrust bearing. If the gear is hard to engage then the problem will be the gearbox or linkage.

Fitter

It is sometimes stuck even with the engine stopped! What can I expect- gearbox failure?

Peter

Hi,

Thanks!

Peter

Fitter

It is sometimes stuck even with the engine stopped! What can I expect- gearbox failure?

Peter

Hello, as Fitter says have the external linkage checked between the lever and the gearbox first as it maybe just a problem there, regards Pete.

Hi,

Thanks!

Peter

Peter hi

Try to have an air escaped from the braking circuit. Or another problem might be with master cylinder's piston seal ring + change braking fluid.

I do not believe yoou have another links problem.

Cheers/Igor

Interestingly I had my clutch and fly wheel changed last year by Toyota dealership. Master cylinder was changed in between the clutch and the fly wheel. I thought that what I was observing was something one can live with but after seeing this posting and the replies I think I will share with you a very similar clutch behaviour. With the engine off the clutch works perfectly well, I can engage all gears without any problem whatsoever. Once the engine is on, however, things get complicated. As the OP says, unless I push to the floor (and it HAS to be done in a single stroke, very quick push down, if I did it slowly, just pushing the pedal down I could not engage the gear) the first and reverse gears would not engage easily. For a new clutch and fly wheel I had the feeling that it was asking for too much effort.

Do you think that it could be poor alignment or lack of hydraulic pressure in the system? The clutch and the fly wheel (and the master cylinder) are new-ish. I do not expect that they are defective (or should I?). My gut feeling tells me to take the car back to Toyota and ask them to have a look at it. The clutch comes with three years warranty and I am in its second year.

Any comments/suggestions would be welcome.

@ Pero2, can you please keep us updated on your progress with the issue?

Cheers,

Jordan