Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Diy Fitting - Parking Sensors

ExL200

I have just ordered a set of reversing sensors for my Hilux d/cab. I am wondering if anyone else has fitted these to their vehicles and if they did, where did you position the CPU and the speaker? Also, are there any helpful tips? Thanks.

Hi ExL200

I hope your HiLux does not have a metal rear bumper as the sensor's will give false readings. I found this out after I had bought and fitted a set to my Surf.

when they didn't register the correct distance I removed them and changed them for another make, these had the same effect. after trying a third set I gave up and had to buy another chrome bumper as mind now had 4x25mm holes in it.

Sorry if I have rained on your parade

Paul

Hi ExL200

I hope your HiLux does not have a metal rear bumper as the sensor's will give false readings. I found this out after I had bought and fitted a set to my Surf.

when they didn't register the correct distance I removed them and changed them for another make, these had the same effect. after trying a third set I gave up and had to buy another chrome bumper as mind now had 4x25mm holes in it.

Paul

No worries Paul; the kit I've bought is intended for pick-up's with metal rear bumpersn so, for now, my parade remains un-rained on!

I've bought is intended for pick-up's with metal rear bumpersn so, for now, my parade remains un-rained on!

[Parade Rain /ON]

I wouldnt fit reversing sensors to the mk6 Hilux rear bumper even if you get the ones intended for pickups!!

My mk6 bumper started rusting a few months after the sensors were fitted - rust all around the holes where the sensors fit. The bumper was swapped under warranty as it was all done by Toyota but the new bumper rusted within months too. After that i complained, got a third bumper and a refund on my reversing sensor kit.

I went for a Meta system like this that mounts behind the number plate. No drilling required, no rusty bumper, no false alerts - recommend it 100%

Hi ExL200

Paul

Paul,

Can you tell me where in the vehicle you chose to position the CPU and the speaker? How easy was it to route the wiring?

The CPU was hidden beind the side panel immeadiately behing the rear offside seat, the wiring then went foreward undr the side trim beneath the doors and the speaker/distance lights were sat on the dash with some very good 3M double sided pads.

Took about an hour in total.

I now have a reversing camera fitted up under the rear spoiler and a 2.5inch screen sat on the dash

Cheers

Paul

The CPU was hidden beind the side panel immeadiately behing the rear offside seat, the wiring then went foreward undr the side trim beneath the doors and the speaker/distance lights were sat on the dash with some very good 3M double sided pads.

Took about an hour in total.

I now have a reversing camera fitted up under the rear spoiler and a 2.5inch screen sat on the dash

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul, much appreciated :D

I've bought is intended for pick-up's with metal rear bumpersn so, for now, my parade remains un-rained on!

[Parade Rain /ON]

I wouldnt fit reversing sensors to the mk6 Hilux rear bumper even if you get the ones intended for pickups!!

My mk6 bumper started rusting a few months after the sensors were fitted - rust all around the holes where the sensors fit. The bumper was swapped under warranty as it was all done by Toyota but the new bumper rusted within months too. After that i complained, got a third bumper and a refund on my reversing sensor kit.

I went for a Meta system like this that mounts behind the number plate. No drilling required, no rusty bumper, no false alerts - recommend it 100%

Disagree. I had 4 sensors fitted in mine and didnt get any rust. Also didnt have any issue with distance (unless i wasnt paying attention doh)

Also didnt have any issue with distance

Was yours the Toyota TPA400?

Also didnt have any issue with distance

Was yours the Toyota TPA400?

stop being a :censor: you know i didnt.

I was talking about rust issues.

• 5 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me where to find the entry/exit point of the wiring into the cab for the reversing lights as I'm assuming I need to route my sensor leads through this same point? Thanks

Can anyone tell me where to find the entry/exit point of the wiring into the cab for the reversing lights as I'm assuming I need to route my sensor leads through this same point? Thanks

Ok chaps - I've found the grommett to route the wires through.

Next question - how do I find the reversing wire? I'm useless at car electrics but I have got a meter. I'm assuming I need to unwrap the sleeve that encases the wires as they run under the trim by the offside passenger door and then find which wire is the reversing one. I assume I put the gear in reverse with ignition on and then find the wire that gives a reading in reverse and no reading when not in reverse?

Help?

Ok chaps - I've found the grommett to route the wires through.

Next question - how do I find the reversing wire? I'm useless at car electrics but I have got a meter. I'm assuming I need to unwrap the sleeve that encases the wires as they run under the trim by the offside passenger door and then find which wire is the reversing one. I assume I put the gear in reverse with ignition on and then find the wire that gives a reading in reverse and no reading when not in reverse?

Help?

Is anyone there? Am I looking in the right place (RHD)? Can someone pls tell me how to id the reversing wire (I know the obvious is to id the reversing bulb and follow wires back but can I get to them in the rear cab?

• 1 month later...

[Parade Rain /ON]

Hi, i had sensor's fitted to mine at pdi by the dealer, after a short while they started to beep whenever i put it in reverse, but only during the day, after four unsucsessful visit's to the dealer i realised that it was only when it was hot i had the problem, when they fitted the sensor's they never rustproofed the hole's or/and made them slightly to small, so when it was hot the bumper expanded closing the hole on the sensor's or/and the hole's had rusted clamping the sensor's to tightly,so they beeped continually when in reverse, so i removed the bumper, took out the sensors, enlarged all the holes by approx 1mm and rustproofed then painted them, refitted sensor's bumper etc and never been a problem since, just something to bear in mind if you fit your own sensor's..