Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shift Up! Shift Down! Shift Up! Shi........

justin7

I thought it was just for decoration !

OK, I tried when I got the car first to change up when the light came on but the poor thing was just lugging around everywhere and was not happy.

Now I cane it in all the gears changing up between 4 and 5k and the car really sings.

I get 58 mpg on a run and low 50s otherwise. Car is 3 months old with 3000 miles on the clock.

So, no. I don't pay any attention to the lights.

Cheers, Paulk

• Like 1

OK, I tried when I got the car first to change up when the light came on but the poor thing was just lugging around everywhere and was not happy.

Now I cane it in all the gears changing up between 4 and 5k and the car really sings.

I get 58 mpg on a run and low 50s otherwise. Car is 3 months old with 3000 miles on the clock.

Cheers, Paulk

Until the car is fully run in or has a few more miles on the clock the shift up light will not give a true indication of when to change up.

This is, however, not really a good reason to "cane it", as doing this can cause as much damage to the engine as letting it "labour" in too high a gear.

Does no-one treat their cars with respect anymore? :rolleyes:

in the running in stage i kind of followed the shift indicators. it was fine for normal driving conditions. i think it's only when you need the extra power that they're not very useful. since the running in stage i've gotten into the habit of changing gears roughtly in line with the indicators (it's second nature now and i don't bother looking for the indicator change lights). they kind of tought me how to drive the car in a calm and smooth manner. so yeah.......... i think they are pretty useful.

in the running in stage i kind of followed the shift indicators. it was fine for normal driving conditions. i think it's only when you need the extra power that they're not very useful. since the running in stage i've gotten into the habit of changing gears roughtly in line with the indicators (it's second nature now and i don't bother looking for the indicator change lights). they kind of tought me how to drive the car in a calm and smooth manner. so yeah.......... i think they are pretty useful.

What is "changing gear"? . . . . . . . :blushing:

A little birdy told me that after a few months practice you will have mastered the technique and be able to change gear before the light comes on!! :) :)

Its common sense really, listen to your engine, miss out a gear changing up etc, petrol isnt exactly cheap these days, even for an ikkle IQ! :D

I'm not convinced by the change up/down light. It's a good reminder to change gear and preserve fuel, but often when going up a hill in 4th and getting good MPG, it then says to shift up, then engine starts labouring, I have to apply more throttle and the MPG drops. Decided that I'm better at nursing the MPG myself by glancing at the instant readout and listening to the engine. Having said that, the car only has 500 miles or so on it, so maybe my engine is just tight still.

• Like 1

I don't pay attention to them either.

To do so, the engine would need big ends every couple of months considering when it thinks I need to change gear.

Just listen to the engine, it's the best way to drive!

common sence is the key you can seen the road ahead and its pitfalls light does help on straight roads and some urban driving but hills and contry back to the old grey matter im afraid .. love ma car though little budda great yehaa

I'm not convinced by the change up/down light. It's a good reminder to change gear and preserve fuel, but often when going up a hill in 4th and getting good MPG, it then says to shift up, then engine starts labouring, I have to apply more throttle and the MPG drops. Decided that I'm better at nursing the MPG myself by glancing at the instant readout and listening to the engine. Having said that, the car only has 500 miles or so on it, so maybe my engine is just tight still.

True, Steve, the lights are for drivers without "engine-feeling".

I don't pay attention to them either.

To do so, the engine would need big ends every couple of months considering when it thinks I need to change gear.

Just listen to the engine, it's the best way to drive!

What would (if what you say would be true which it isn't) be the problem then?.........it's warranty. :P

I drive my car it does not instruct me & yes SciFi Paul I cane mine every now & again too, it's called having fun. Now the induction & exhaust working together it sounds so gorgeous.....yum yum

Everyone who follows the green light.... your missing out on the VVTi!!

I drive mine economically some times, but sometimes you gotta let the engine rev a bit!! Its fun! :D

Everyone who follows the green light.... your missing out on the VVTi!!

I drive mine economically some times, but sometimes you gotta let the engine rev a bit!! Its fun! :D

Yes........exactly......in second gear to maximal revs......sounds great even with standard exhaust.

You can not overrev it (but do it when its warm enough of course!

Hooray for driving with verve !

If you can spin the engine, have fun and still get 50+ mpg what more can you ask for ?

I love my IQ. Best car I ever bought.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone pay attention to the shifty thing and shift when it tells you?

I have just taken ownership and have started to follow the arrow to see how it works out. The change up does seems premature. It gets me into 5th gear at 30 mph!

However, with all the computers running the car I guess it's configured to drive with the best fuel economy.

As with all these things they are just a guide.

Welcome to the new drive!

Its NOT premature but the first couple of thousand miles dont always be too gentle with the engine and let it rev from time to time......the lights take out a lot of fun ;-)

• 2 months later...

Cheers, Paulk

Until the car is fully run in or has a few more miles on the clock the shift up light will not give a true indication of when to change up.

This is, however, not really a good reason to "cane it", as doing this can cause as much damage to the engine as letting it "labour" in too high a gear.

Does no-one treat their cars with respect anymore? :rolleyes:

LMAO what an an@l reply! The redline is there for a reason... to show you the SAFE limits in which you can use the engine! Just what damage can 'caning it' cause? Because its a small car doesnt mean you have to drive it like an OAP. The 1.33 is a blast when you wind it up to the redline, driving is FUN and its a FUN little car. Dont get so hung up on MPG its not the main priority for everybody just some people!