Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4d Cutting Out

andycam06

well, hows it going, new to the site, iav a 04 1.4 d4d corolla, it keeps cutting out on me, usually when doing handy driving or left ticking over for 20 mins, brought it to toyota, they said fuel pump, €2000, no thanks, brought it to diesel crowds who think its a suction control valve but cant be sure, €250, thats ok, but nobody can garantee what it is or what will fix it, the car was taking in from england 2 and half years ago, the 1.4 d4d was never big here for toyota garages, all were taking in from england which is why toyota dont know alot about the car, has anybody had this problem or anything similar, oh, the last two weeks it has been loosing power and cutting out on me as iam sitting at 75 down the motorway, so no handy driving there, its really putting a damper on driving her so any help welcomed,

thanks

well i suppose that it is a good thing that 100s of people arent replying saying they have the same problem, means other people mustnt be having any troble, but has anybody any suggestions, i was driving it to get new tyres today (beside Mr.T) and 5 miles away lost power, drove flat out for that last 5 mile- at 40 mph, this is doing my head in now, as i was so close, brought it in to Mr.T, on the computer and nothing showing :angry:

well, hows it going, new to the site, iav a 04 1.4 d4d corolla, it keeps cutting out on me, usually when doing handy driving or left ticking over for 20 mins, brought it to toyota, they said fuel pump, €2000, no thanks, brought it to diesel crowds who think its a suction control valve but cant be sure, €250, thats ok, but nobody can garantee what it is or what will fix it, the car was taking in from england 2 and half years ago, the 1.4 d4d was never big here for toyota garages, all were taking in from england which is why toyota dont know alot about the car, has anybody had this problem or anything similar, oh, the last two weeks it has been loosing power and cutting out on me as iam sitting at 75 down the motorway, so no handy driving there, its really putting a damper on driving her so any help welcomed,

thanks

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the site. I have the same car as you, (imported from UK myself) but I have never heard of that problem so can't help you on that. The 1.4 D-4D 3 door corolla was never sold in the Republic (except for the carvan version), all of them are imported from the North or the UK. Any Toyota garage in the republic will have difficulty in identifying your car on the system; my vehicle appears as a 2.2 D-4D Verso on dockets I receive from Mr. T after service work!

:unsure:

Might I suggest that because you are not far from the border, take it to a Toyota dealer in the North? They should have more experience of this car as it is a market that the car was original sold in. Just a thought! :unsure:

yes i've seen the problem but only on the 1.4 D4D yaris ,on the yaris if you remove the intercooler hose from the intake manifold you can see a throttle flap and below it there is a port that blocks up with carbon from the egr system if you remove the throttle body and unblock the port the vehicle will run fine. i hope this is usefull for you matey.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the replys lads, cars gone into diesel mechanics today, just gone in for a few exams and hoping to pick her up in a few hours with the diagnosis of whats wrong, will let yous know later what happens

and still the problem continues, diesel mechanic had it for 5 hours, he tryed and checked everything within reason, he has no idea whats wrong, there isnt even a fault on the ecu, might be going to another lad tomorrow who used to work for toyota but out on his own now

• 8 years later...
On 11/25/2009 at 10:23 PM, andycam06 said:

and still the problem continues, diesel mechanic had it for 5 hours, he tryed and checked everything within reason, he has no idea whats wrong, there isnt even a fault on the ecu, might be going to another lad tomorrow who used to work for toyota but out on his own now

Hi Andy did you ever find the root to this problem? I just bought a 2005 Corolla 1.4d4d and it's doing the exact same thing,  When i conk out i have to turn the car off for about 10 seconds and start it again, would it be a fuel sensor? Any advice would be greatly appreciated ☘

• 9 months later...
On 8/28/2018 at 5:50 AM, Patrick212 said:

Hi Andy did you ever find the root to this problem? I just bought a 2005 Corolla 1.4d4d and it's doing the exact same thing,  When i conk out i have to turn the car off for about 10 seconds and start it again, would it be a fuel sensor? Any advice would be greatly appreciated ☘

Hi all. 

Did ye ever find the solution to this problem? I have the same problem with me Toyota.

Regards

Dan

Hi Dan I'd say it's the suction control valve had this happen on a different car not a Toyota but another diesel. Rough running loss of power cutting out and hard to restart after. Worth looking at that. 

• 3 years later...

Fuel rail pressure sensor located at the left hand side of engine block.i disconnected the electrical connector until I got this and had no problems at all. This is the most common problem. Toyota charges £437 as they won't separate it from the fuel rail. Get a second hand 1 on eBay for around £50 should sort the problem. I have a 1.4d4d Toyota Corolla 2005 and replaced this and the car ran straight afterwards without any problems. Also book it in for a service as fuel filter most likely clogged too

I am suprised Gary01 why you have not changed the fuel filter yourselyou managed the to do the fuel rail pressure sensor.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got a full service done and still it's started cutting out after driving for 4 to 5 hours. I'm thinking it might be something to do with the relay now lol. This is a puzzling 1 but I'm determined to find the root of the problem 

Who did the service? Toyota dealers do not change the fuel filter as part of even the full service unless they are explicitly instructed to, and that is an extra charge.

If it was a third party, I still doubt they changed the fuel filter but it would depend on them as they all have different standards.

I also done what monj said to do so will let everyone know how tomorrow goes

13 hours ago, Gary01 said:

I also done what monj said to do so will let everyone know how tomorrow goes

I've cleaned the egr valve while I had the mass intake airflow pipe off. Car seems to be a bit faster and running better but I guess I'll know when I've driven it for a few hours again whether the problem persists or not. Will keep you all updated, I'm also going to put injector cleaner through the system and if not then it's an auto spark to get the wiring looms and relays checked

Ok so the problem still there. Can someone help me out and tell me what an edu sensor is please

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links