Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lowered Lift Switch Point

Rob-D4D

Hi all although i'n not a T-Sport owner myself I wondered if anyone had ever changed the points on their T-Sport where the valve timing switches?

I used to be into my Nissan's and recently sold my Pulsar and one of the more common mods with Neo VVL engines (Nissans equivelent to VV-T) was to change the activation points so that the valve timing came in earlier. I know that with the V-Tec Honda engine's the Inlet and Exhaust valves switch to high lift at the same time (Same switch) wheras on the Toyota VVT the switches for the cams are seperate (Same as the Nissan VVL) so in theory you should be able to set your lift on a T-Sport to come in earlier or even stagger the switch points so the exhaust then inlet switches within say 500rpm of each other.

With the Nissans, tuners used to use a Greddy MSS which was a box which controlled 2 switches which activated at a certain RPM. They could be used for activating NOS at a certain RPM but were also perfect for switching cam timing.

Anyone tried this as cams switching earlier would really improve the T-Sport no end.

Hey rob, as discussed a while back i looked into the greddy mss....It is something that will work. However the problem is its more complicated than it seems. You could lower the lift point with the mss but it will fight the factory ecu and cause a cel. Which will put the car in safety mode. However the use of a piggy back to control the other aspects like ignition timing, air fuel, and vvt will need to be incorporated.

I currently have a camcon...which can control air fuel and vvt in set increments but the problem is it will not be good enough to take full control of the ecu as the camcon will only do adjustments every 200rpm which is not enough.

Also ignition timing is a must and to buy a seperate unit for ignition timing will also cost a fair bit of money, add on the tuning, a tuner will need to tune 3 seperate devices which will be difficult.

Ideally you could run a Greddy mss

aem piggy back with ignition controller

camcon

however the wiring and costs of buying 3 separate unit will add up. Also a professional tune is a must as this could cause severe damage to the engine if out of tune as adjusting lift is a delicate procedure.

It would be wise to ideally buy a power fc with a custom harness but again costs are better put else where.

From research lowering lift will not produce more power but it can also reduce power where needed.e

The addition of longer duration cams should be considered in this case to make optimum use. Obviously to make more power you may want to raise the rev limit....but simply lowering the lift point will not make power but will lose power.

Hey rob, as discussed a while back i looked into the greddy mss....It is something that will work. However the problem is its more complicated than it seems. You could lower the lift point with the mss but it will fight the factory ecu and cause a cel. Which will put the car in safety mode. However the use of a piggy back to control the other aspects like ignition timing, air fuel, and vvt will need to be incorporated.

I currently have a camcon...which can control air fuel and vvt in set increments but the problem is it will not be good enough to take full control of the ecu as the camcon will only do adjustments every 200rpm which is not enough.

Also ignition timing is a must and to buy a seperate unit for ignition timing will also cost a fair bit of money, add on the tuning, a tuner will need to tune 3 seperate devices which will be difficult.

Ideally you could run a Greddy mss

aem piggy back with ignition controller

camcon

however the wiring and costs of buying 3 separate unit will add up. Also a professional tune is a must as this could cause severe damage to the engine if out of tune as adjusting lift is a delicate procedure.

It would be wise to ideally buy a power fc with a custom harness but again costs are better put else where.

From research lowering lift will not produce more power but it can also reduce power where needed.e

The addition of longer duration cams should be considered in this case to make optimum use. Obviously to make more power you may want to raise the rev limit....but simply lowering the lift point will not make power but will lose power.

Ah I see I did think that the Toyota management system might not be quite as simple as the Nissan one but the idea is still the same. It would be interesting to have a play with the management setup that you suggested and see just how much you can get from a re-map or re-tune of the T-Sport engine.

I think we can assume Toyota's engineers are one of the bests and well trained etc ...

so probably we can also assume they selected the best possible RPM to engage lift.

So trying to change it would just make it worse. I might be wrong, but one thing seems sure: it will need lot's of research and money to change lift and get more power out of it.

What i know is in the US they use apexi Power FC to get the lift lovered.I have contact with them watch these and ask them about.

Redliner is the guy who makes custom harness.Check 9thgencorolla.com also.

I spoke to redliner about the power fc harness and supplied him with all the ecu pin outs and toyota oe diagrams. However obviously the cost and the harness price was quite a set back. Considering i would need nearly £1000 for a power fc and a harness....Plus atleast 400-600 for a tune its just not worth it atm.

I would rather pay a few hundred more for a supercharger with more gains.

The power fc is a solution we can get it to work but cost wise it wont be worth it no matter how cheap you do it.

I know for a fact i would want warantee on the power fc, My friends one went bust just as he was going to get a tune....hes now £700 out of pocket as his apexi warranty ran out.

Hydra ems can also control lift but the problem here is costs, Why pay so much money for minimal gains. I will look into this the main concern about the harness is we wont get customers and i discussed this with gustavo....Maybe max 3 people in the EU may use the power fc...Its not cost effective to get many made. I know hardly any of us would pay that much for a standalone system.

I spoke to redliner about the power fc harness and supplied him with all the ecu pin outs and toyota oe diagrams. However obviously the cost and the harness price was quite a set back. Considering i would need nearly £1000 for a power fc and a harness....Plus atleast 400-600 for a tune its just not worth it atm.

I would rather pay a few hundred more for a supercharger with more gains.

The power fc is a solution we can get it to work but cost wise it wont be worth it no matter how cheap you do it.

I know for a fact i would want warantee on the power fc, My friends one went bust just as he was going to get a tune....hes now £700 out of pocket as his apexi warranty ran out.

Hydra ems can also control lift but the problem here is costs, Why pay so much money for minimal gains. I will look into this the main concern about the harness is we wont get customers and i discussed this with gustavo....Maybe max 3 people in the EU may use the power fc...Its not cost effective to get many made. I know hardly any of us would pay that much for a standalone system.

That's why i choose e-manage ultimate.Today i get my PPE race header and i have my intercoooler also in this week so my next will be an e-manage ultimate.We have a guy in Hungary who can tune it safety few years long.I know greddy supercharger and they use this with great sucess and Blitz supercharger kit also have this.I hope the best B)

szuti u can use the emanage ultimate is a good tool to use. Let us know how the ppe header install goes. Did you buy it with air injection?

No cause i have my friend who has trd exhaust manifold with air injection but no necessary for our car,cause there is other tubes about compressor. A'll take a movie and do a dyno if the header is installed with the hks hí flow backbox.

i want to see more videos on youtube ur really good on track days! i was watching you vs the m3 haha! he just couldnt leave you and then he looses it and you are infront.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links