Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Plastic Flap Next To The Radiator

another_pleb

I was checking my radiator fluid at the weekend and noticed that there is a black plastic flap to the left of the radiator between the crash box and the radiator. It looks like its purpose is to direct airflow towards the radiator and not towards the engine block - probably something to do with internal aerodynamics.

Anyway, it ought to be held on at the top, bottom and in the middle to the crash box but the middle bracket has snapped. I haven't crashed into anything and I only noticed its existance a few days ago so I can't have broken it myself, so it must have been wear and tear that caused it to snap.

Does anyone know what this piece is called? It looks like a fairly simple (and non urgent) warranty job to replace but I'd like to tell Mr. T. in advance as my next service is due before Christmas.

P.S. I'm thinking of getting the Toyota people to replace the pathetic standard horn with something a little more powerful if they are going to have the front bumper off anyway. Any suggestions?

You need a Stebel Nautilus.

Self-contained air horn. Very compact.

Needs to be fitted with a relay......

Here's One.

Look for reviews of them. They are LOUD.

Ian.

Thanks for the advice. Any idea about the flap thing?

I think that that flap would have to be removed if the water pump was renewed, as most Aygos have had done, so perhaps a ham-fisted mechanic is to blame, as I had the access hatch to my oil filter on my Yaris D4-D left flapping loose under the front valance, and I had to fix it myself, as I am 110 miles away from the dealership.

AFAIK the waterpump is on the opposite side of the engine and the flap mentioned lives inside the bumper

if I'm correct... I actually had to "modify" this flap to get my DRL's to work the way I wanted them to...

The purose of these flaps (there's one on the other side too) is to make sure the air flows through

the radiator instead of around it as its' resistance is quite high and this would impair cooling.

Just to make sure: we're talking about the flap you can see in this picture, just to the left of my air horn:

100_1211.JPG

If memory serves it's just clipped onto the bodywork top and bottom

and is partially held in place by the part where it touches the radiator...

But I could be wrong: it's been quite some time since I had it off...

AFAIK the waterpump is on the opposite side of the engine and the flap mentioned lives inside the bumper

if I'm correct... I actually had to "modify" this flap to get my DRL's to work the way I wanted them to...

The purose of these flaps (there's one on the other side too) is to make sure the air flows through

the radiator instead of around it as its' resistance is quite high and this would impair cooling.

Just to make sure: we're talking about the flap you can see in this picture, just to the left of my air horn:

100_1211.JPG

If memory serves it's just clipped onto the bodywork top and bottom

and is partially held in place by the part where it touches the radiator...

But I could be wrong: it's been quite some time since I had it off...

Yes, I did assume that it was the U.K. driver's side of the car that was being referred to, where the auxilliaries drive-belt is located, and oil filler cap, and dip-stick. The oil filter is on the off-side of the car, as is the water pump. I watched as my wife's last Aygo had a new water pump and radiator fitted, so I know the layout. I am still monitoring the water level and mayonnaise in the oil cap and dip-stick areas, and we have been given a new water pressure relief cap, as our Jan' 09 Aygo is causing some concern.

I thought it was just fortuitous for the off-side plastics to be noted at the same time as the near-side located radiator fluid bottle was checked.

However, if the radiator was renewed, as ours was, at the same time as our pump, I may not be in the wrong!?

Damn, fell into the LHD/RHD-trap again, sorry!

But if the radiator was replaced there's a fair chance

the flaps/baffles/whateveryoucallems were damaged...

It was actually the other flap, in the middle, to the left of the radiator, (nowhere near the water-pump), that was broken.

The piece that holds it to the horizontal metal bumper has snapped and the flap is now only attached at the top and bottom. This means it can rotate as if it were on a hinge.

I'm going to have a closer look at the right-hand one now that I've seen a picture of the car with its plastic bumper off. Thanks again!