Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Ts Compressor Exhaust Problem

Josel

Hello everybody,

here are many CTS-C drivers so i just wanted to know if anyone here had the same problems as i had.

History:

in 2008 i noticed a knocking noise at the front of my exhaust. After some weeks and many visits at the dealer i got disco light in my dashboard. Converter defective...

Reason --> in front of the catalytic converter the guiding plate was broken. Its a smaller pipe which is welded inside.

So i got a new exhaust from toyota and now after one year and 15.000km(9320 miles) i realized again the knocking noise.

This time i did not go to the toyota dealer, because i already would have same ***** and pay many $$$ for nothin. So i went to an other garage and told them what to do. I have informations that this pipe is just usefull for the CTS not for The CTS-C.

It works for the CTS like an fan-type exhaust pipe but its useless for a compressor and also a weakpoint.

Now i have cut the part with the pipe inside and replaced it with an empty pipe.

Here are two pic's of this installed pipe.

Just Mobilephone pic's but u can see the crack along the pipe.

12112009001i.jpg w2048.png

12112009003.jpg w2048.png

Sorry for my bad english!

Its exactly what happened to mine, luckily its all covered by warranty (toyota quote 1000 pounds for the downpipe) I had 6 fitted in total, various bits were removed and sent to belgium for analysis, the local dealer even had a local fabrication company weld the plate into the exhaust but that came off pretty quickly. We then tried running it without the piece in and it sounded awful. In the end toyota sent over a newly designed exhaust, part of the wiring loom (as the point at which the lamda sensor fits is different) and a new ecu. it worked a treat and has'nt caused me any problems for over a year. At the last count the repairs i have had done under warranty have cost more than i paid for the car. Toyota reliability at it' best.....

Its exactly what happened to mine, luckily its all covered by warranty (toyota quote 1000 pounds for the downpipe) I had 6 fitted in total, various bits were removed and sent to belgium for analysis, the local dealer even had a local fabrication company weld the plate into the exhaust but that came off pretty quickly. We then tried running it without the piece in and it sounded awful. In the end toyota sent over a newly designed exhaust, part of the wiring loom (as the point at which the lamda sensor fits is different) and a new ecu. it worked a treat and has'nt caused me any problems for over a year. At the last count the repairs i have had done under warranty have cost more than i paid for the car. Toyota reliability at it' best.....

6?? thats crazy! I do not know which number mine is. I bought that car with 30.000km on the clock and now i have 60.000 and it happend 2 times!

i have spoken with someone from tte and he told me that they have forgotten! to remove the pipe u see on my pics.

The frustration was that i only got a little fairnes from Toyota first time and i had to pay 600 euros for repair. Just 1 month after warranty....

Its an constructional fault and toyota even do not want to know something about that. :censor:

• 1 month later...

Exactly the same problem as many ones of us ( french corolla forums ) are having...

I have it myself and thought it was the fault of the separation plate that has gone away.

At the moment I don't have any error signal on my dashboard, but the metallic knocking / ticking noise

is always present. I wanted to remove the separation plate + the guiding one, but if you say the sound is

awful after that, I don't know what to do then !?! :(

Toyota do have a replacement part which they fitted to mine as a sort of trial, it worked great but it does involve changing the ECU and part of the wiring loom as on the new down pipe the lambda sensors are located in different places, it sounds different to the original pipe but nowhere near as bad as when they took the seperator plate out.

• 1 month later...

Hi, guys!

Sorry for bumping this post and for not having presented myself before, I was just waiting until sorted out a couple of problems with my new (2nd hand) TTE Compressor. I have exactly the problem described above: exhaust rattling noise only when accelerating and much louder during the first 5-10 minutes from a cold start.

When I bought it the noise was there (it appeared while road-testing it), and the mechanics from the car dealer (not a Toyota...) saw what was the problem and welded it so it stopped rattling. Just out of the dealer I had to drive 250 miles home, and it gradually appeared again. Now, there it is, very awkward and loud when it's cold and it gradually quieter when the exhaust gets hot. Other than that, the vehicle pulls nicely and there are no warning lights or error codes stored at the ECU memory.

I've read this post up and down and my question is: as TTE realised this comes because of a design failure, is it possible to get that new, modified exhaust line for free? My car is probably one of the firsts TTE's in Europe as it's a press unit (if you search "Corolla TTE" in Google and see a red one with Spanish plate, that's mine... I knew it before I bought it), so no warranty applies (2nd half 2005), but obviously it's not fair to me having to spend +1000€ in a new exhaust line when it is known that it's a design flaw. Who contacted you in TTE? Any e-mail address of phone number where I can contact them about this and try to get a solution? I think that talking about this in a Toyota dealer will not be a solution...

Also, you said that they have to change the ECU and part of the engine wiring... After that, the performance is the same? Because it sounds like they may have rolled back to the standard T-Sport ECU to avoid problems, it definitely does not sound normal that they have to fit a new ECU.

What most worries me is that the problem may appear again with the new exhaust line after 1-2-3 years or 15-30k kms, and I could pay a new exhaust once, but not every 1-2-3 years, obviously... Is it possible to modify on your own the rattling exhaust line? Seeing the pics I don't understand what has been done. Was the inner (rattling) tube pulled out or just cut all the exhaust line in the part where the inner tube goes? I would like to have, if it possible, more information on this as I'm mechanic and, with cars as special as this one, I trust more myself than a garage where they've never seen a supercharger... ;)

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English.

As soon as all this is sorted out, I promiss I'll present me and my car as it should be! :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links