Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1997 Celica 1.8 St Firing 2/3 Cylinder Problem, Any Ideas?

chris stone

Hi all,

This is my 1st post as I have had celicas & MR2's and never had problems, until now.

I have a Celica 1.8st 1997 82,000 miles with full service history which I have just bought & was running fine when I test drove it & for 10 mins after I picked it up but then started to lose power & seemed to be firing on 3 cylinders (just how it felt, I don't know if it was) By the time I got home it was even worse, probably only 2 cylinders. The guy had steam cleaned the engine compartment he told me when I went to see it so I have wd40'd inside the distributor cap & the HT leads & inside the spark plug caps which made it a bit better, back up to 3 cylinders I think but when idling keeps dropping to 2 for a second then back up to 3. I'm not very good with these things but have a basic knowledge so any help or suggestion I can try will be greatly appreciated.

Steam cleaning or pressure washing under any car engine bay is never a good idea as there is always the risk of causing electrical faults. Although WD40 is a good de-watering agent it doesn't mean it will dispel all moisture. It may be worth getting the vehicle inside a dry area and giving the ignition components a blast with a hairdryer.:)

Steam cleaning or pressure washing under any car engine bay is never a good idea as there is always the risk of causing electrical faults. Although WD40 is a good de-watering agent it doesn't mean it will dispel all moisture. It may be worth getting the vehicle inside a dry area and giving the ignition components a blast with a hairdryer.:)

Cheers for that James

I wish I had somewhere I could do that but don't have anywhere dry I can put a car as I live in a block of flats & cars out on the street.

I'm hoping that's all it is & nothing MAJOR as I just sold my MR2 which was an amazing original 1991 UK model with under 68000 gen with fsh so I could buy another Celica & this car is fantastic in every other way!

I btw would NEVER steam clean an engine, it's not meant to be clean! That's why it's under the bonnet lol :D

It seemed to be a lot better after the wd40 treatment but this morning it's just the same again??? Any other ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers