Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pushing For 170bhp

KPARRIS-JONES

Hi all,

After seeing that I'll never insure my GTi within a reasonable budget, I'm pretty sure that I want to cut my losses and push the power higher now.

My goal is 170BHP, and so far I have an LUK Heavy Duty Clutch, GREEN Twin-Cone Air-Filter and an Ashley exhaust. I will also have a 0.8mm head gasket to raise the compression, and all new service parts throughout the car. I'm hoping that this will give me approx. 150BHP (after a bit of port polishing and what not).

Any other things that I can get to get that extra 20BHP? A re-map and cams maybe, or will I need to do more?

Thank you in advance,

KP

Can i enquire what the stock BHP is of your GTi ?

Like your enthusiasm by the way ....

Stock power is 122BHP

Was the previous comment sarcastic in any way?... :huh:

Ill be surprised if you get 150 out of what you have listed, probably 10 bhp max out of filter and exhaust, not sure what lowering the comp ratio will give though.

I hope im wrong.

As for sarcastic, i do sarcastic very well, but in this instance you have it wrong, i meant it in a very positive way.

If you do get the 150, and i hope you do, then the extra 20 would have to come from more expensive items, if you plan on keeping it N/A then now would be the time to uprate the cams/injectors etc

Or just Blow it, quicker and easier IMO

That's what I kinda thought.

Hhhhmm, new manifold, polishing, re-map stage II cams, and that should get me 140BHP going by what you're saying (I think).

Maybe new inlets but they are very expensive. Don't have loads of cash.... I shall have a look see for details that I can fettle....

Ill be surprised if you get 150 out of what you have listed, probably 10 bhp max out of filter and exhaust, not sure what lowering the comp ratio will give though.

I hope im wrong.

As for sarcastic, i do sarcastic very well, but in this instance you have it wrong, i meant it in a very positive way.

If you do get the 150, and i hope you do, then the extra 20 would have to come from more expensive items, if you plan on keeping it N/A then now would be the time to uprate the cams/injectors etc

Or just Blow it, quicker and easier IMO

x2 put exhaust and induction kit on it wont get alot of bhp

That's what I kinda thought.

Hhhhmm, new manifold, polishing, re-map stage II cams, and that should get me 140BHP going by what you're saying (I think).

Maybe new inlets but they are very expensive. Don't have loads of cash.... I shall have a look see for details that I can fettle....

i'd say 140 - 150 based on what you have said there, but im far from an expert on GTis, just check out the cost of Blowing as well Vs N/A so you get best bang for buck.

I did read somewhere earlier of someone fitting a SC and getting 165 bhp, so have a good punt around.

As always, please keep us posted fella and fingers crossed for ya.

individual throttlebodies from the 20v and aftermarket ecu would be a good idea, but not a cheap option. cams, adjustable camgears, higher comp headgasket, pistons, rods, ect ect... depends what your budget is?

hello mate...it will depend on how much money you want to spend..with the stock 4age engine you can get up to 150/160 bhp but you would have to spend big bucks on all kinds of mods ...when for the same money you could pick up a second hand 4agze engine get a pulley conversion and that will get you 160/170bhp...the 4agze engine is bomb proof and is already strengthend as standard to take over 250bhp..and if the 4agze is minus the supercharger you can get a turbo kit sent over from the states...cheers

post-49258-1258535568_thumb.jpg

O.k. my budget is £800 at the maximum, I'll get the parts that i stated and see what happens from there on. :yes:

I'm glad I aksed anyway so that I don't have to deal with too much disappointment. :)

I will look at a 4AG-ZE in the future.

Thanks for the help ;)

I was going to do a n/a tuned 4age in my gti but found it will costs sooo much and you don't get much power for your money some guys spend up to 3-6 grand building there n/a engines and only get 150-190 bhp and some guys spending even more building n2 spec and formula alantic spec engines! You could go for some carbs and high lift cams instead of getting itb's that way you don't have get a uprated ecu but you would still be looking at 2 grand + to do that :(

If I was you I would spend the money on the handling or leave the engine as it is and go for a 4agze when you have the money

hope that helps mate

Yeh, I'll get cams, cam gears, clutch, filter, exhaust and I'll also polish up the ports and stuff. I'm just going to stop caring about how much power I put through it because it seems to make no difference with insurance. :yes:

Thanks again guys :)