Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boody Potholes!

kevin65

Driving home last in the dark and pouring rain (hasn't stopped for the last week) when all of a sudden 'BANG', thought the front left wheel had come off! Didn't even see it! Afterwards I noticed the car pulling to the left, so knew I had a puncture. Changed wheel on side of road in the dark and rain, and didn't get to check wheel properly till I got home.

There is a big dent in the lip on both inner and outer sides. I'm planning on buying a stilson wrench and bend back out and use as a spare until I can get a replacement rim. Amazingly, no visible damage on tyre but won't know until it get pumped up.

Does anyone know how much Toyota would charge for a new steel wheel? Would peugeot be much cheaper?

Driving home last in the dark and pouring rain (hasn't stopped for the last week) when all of a sudden 'BANG', thought the front left wheel had come off! Didn't even see it! Afterwards I noticed the car pulling to the left, so knew I had a puncture. Changed wheel on side of road in the dark and rain, and didn't get to check wheel properly till I got home.

There is a big dent in the lip on both inner and outer sides. I'm planning on buying a stilson wrench and bend back out and use as a spare until I can get a replacement rim. Amazingly, no visible damage on tyre but won't know until it get pumped up.

Does anyone know how much Toyota would charge for a new steel wheel? Would peugeot be much cheaper?

This would make a good spare wheel.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TYRE-BRAND-NEW-155-6...=item3ca77313e0

or this one as it has a better tyre brand.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/citroen-c1-peugeot-1...=item2303e033f2

First thing to do is go and take a picture of the pothole you hit. Then report it to the local authority, if you report it first they will fill it before you can register a claim. Tell the local authority that you are holding them responsible for the damage to your car. If your insurance(or breakdown cover) has legal cover they might even handle the claim for you.

It might not go anywhere but the local authority are required to keep the roads in a reasonible condition and may be liable for damage caused to your car. At least once reported they should repair it.

Even if you don't want to try and claim for it you should report it, if a motorbike hits it they could end up dead.

The council will only pay out if they know that there is a hole in the road. If its not on the list then they wont pay out or thats what lcc is like but its worth ago.

The council will only pay out if they know that there is a hole in the road. If its not on the list then they wont pay out or thats what lcc is like but its worth ago.

If it not on the 'list' then they do not know it exists ! The only way they will know is if somebody tells them and proves it with a photo backup.

I understand that some councils pay out nearly as much in compensation as they do in repairing pot holes.

You woul be silly in not trying to claim!

Thanks for the eBay links Uncle Bob. I need to check out carriage costs to Ireland to see if worth bidding.

The council have put a traffic cone with a flashing amber light beside the pothole and have tried to fill it, so they have acknowledged its existence. My intention is to photograph it and put in a claim for the damage, but as its on the main road into the village where I live, there is a good chance of getting run over while taking the photo. Think I'll pop down very early in the morning.

By the way, does anyone know the safe wading depth of water for an Aygo? Lots of floods here in Galway at the moment.

I wouldn't try wading through more than 6" of water, but even that could cause trouble I think...

I think I went throught about 12 inches of water during the week, didn't realise how deep it was but once in I had to keep going. I was thinking about 6 inches also would be the maximum, definitely not more than the distance frpm the ground to the underside of the sills.

The key thing when driving through water is your engine speed and the speed you travel through the flood (and the depth of course!)

Ordered a new steel rim from thepeugeotshop.co.uk today, about £30 plus shipping. Managed to bash the damaged rim back into shape with a lump hammer and tyre is holding pressure so have a spare wheel of sorts until new one arrives. Didn't realise how strong the steel wheels are!

Safe wading depth of the Aygo will be the height of the exhaust from the ground. You could probably go deeper but if the exhaust goes under water you MUST keep the revs up even if going slow, if water gets sucked up the exhaust you will stop. But once you get that deep you are also worrying about electrics and water comming in the door seals and other Aygo leak spots.

This is why the real all terrain landrovers have the exhaust poking up above the roof, they are then limited by the height of the air intake instead.

they are then limited by the height of the air intake instead.

I must say I've never seen a Landrover with a top-exhaust, but to

improve wading depthe they DO sometimes have a "snorkel" fitted...

My Dad's Landcruiser is prepared to install a snorkel along the A-pillar...

Something like this:

0607or_04_z%201994_toyota_land_cruiser_buildup%20snorkel_angle.jpg

On the Aygo the intake is behind the right hand headlight in front of the wheel,

so I don't think you'll get water into there before something else goes wrong...

And keeping wading depth below sill-height won't be enough, as with speed

you'll get some sort of a bow wave going, which will draw water down in

some places, but will also thrust it up on other locations...

As well as the snokel you need something called a 'wading kit' for a landrover/freelaner which consists of some tubing that is fitted to some suspension components to ensure that you can drive through deep water without water damage.

After the recent flooding around my area, I'll consider buying one in the future fitted with wading kit, snorkel, front mounted winch, etc...

Ah yes, breather tubes for the differentials and that stuff, you're right...

As of tonight I can confirm the Aygo WILL wade trhrough 4 to 6" of water

(main street in my town was fludded by a downpour), but even with that

lamount of water the bow wave and the waves in the front fenders get up

to about 2 feet!!! A car from the opposite side actually threw a wave onto

my windshield, only traveling at an estimated 10 to 15 mph!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links