Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Gear Problem

Highlight

I own a 2002 Avensis 1.6 vvti petrol.I replaced the gearbox about two months ago due to bearing problems.I took off the clutch and it appeared ok so I refitted it.The car drove perfectly fo a while and then after it was idle for a week i noticed that it was hard to take it out of first gear.This now happens nearly with first gear change every morning and then it drives perfect all day doing up to 200 miles.I bled the clutch slave cylinder and this improved the pedal but not the problem.Any Ideas?

It could be the clutch is contaminated with oil and sticking whilst sitting cold. Can you engage first gear without depressing the clutch before starting the engine. Also have you ytied starting the engine with the clutch depressed to see if there is any difference.

Sadly a visual inspection of a clutch won't tell you much about the condition of a pressure plate.:)

Thanks for the replies.I have no problem changing gears when car is cold,the only problem is taking it out of 1st gear and this only happens once or twice in the morning but there is no problem changing in to any other gear.I feel myself it might be something to do with the clutch as it feels heavier since I changed the gearbox and as it was working fine with the old gearbox I thought it might be hydraulic so I bled the system.TThe last time I bled it I think the clutch felt heavier after

Had not too different a situation recently. See my recent thread on "gearbox problem". Changed gearbox bearings then couldn`t engage reverse and had to change broken gearbox cable. Cable problem in fact predated bearing problem and showed up in difficulty in putting into first when stationary. Not every time but occasionally. Cable broke two months after bearings were changed. Maybe same problem maybe not. Submit for what it`s worth.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm recent on this things!!! :) But it seems that I have the same problem with my 2007 Avensis d-cat. In the morning i have difficulty in taking out the first gear and put it in second, this occur just in the morning and after a few miles it is all ok. The best of this is that the toyota delar tell me that the car is ok. I don't buy it!!! I think that the clutch plate or the cabel's are worn out. If someony know what the problem is please inform

Thanks

hi there, when you changed your gearbox did you change your gear oil, also the box you got may have a slightly faulty syncromesh ring , i would try and change the gearoil first and see how it is after , also what did you do with your old box as i could rebuild it for you , i am located in mayo also, give me a shout after 6 on 0876608345, if you wish and i will try and help you out,

Thanks again for the replies.As I explained earlier the clutch pedal felt a bit heavy and the clutch also creaked when pressed.I decided to spray WD40 in at the back of the clutch lever aiming it at the release bearing and shaft.This appears to have solved the problem so far so I have to wait and see

Hello,

I'm recent on this things!!! :) But it seems that I have the same problem with my 2007 Avensis d-cat. In the morning i have difficulty in taking out the first gear and put it in second, this occur just in the morning and after a few miles it is all ok. The best of this is that the toyota delar tell me that the car is ok. I don't buy it!!! I think that the clutch plate or the cabel's are worn out. If someony know what the problem is please inform

Thanks

hello there can you tell me what mileage is on the car as i have found if you dont change the gear oil this can have a bearing on the gearbox sticking until it get warmed up :D

Hello,

Thanks

hello there can you tell me what mileage is on the car as i have found if you dont change the gear oil this can have a bearing on the gearbox sticking until it get warmed up :D

Hello, my car is now with 45000 km and is a car bougth at the toyota delar in Portugal, and recently went to the maintenance of 45000km and this problem was talked to mecanic!!! but the car can the same the just tuned the clucht, so i still have the car yhe same way!!!!

know recently i heard that is special oil for this problem develop by toyota for this do you know anything about this ?

Hope to ear from you soon

cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links