Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4 What Are They Like ?

CorollaTSport

Just want to know peeps if the engine of a 2.0 D4 is a good engine and if anyone has got the same car and had problems with it. Im buying an estate 56 plate fully loaded sat nav screen and all. Want to keep it for a year or so and see how i get on what are people's thoughts on this car ? Thanks and has anyone got there's gas converted ? :o)

Just want to know peeps if the engine of a 2.0 D4 is a good engine and if anyone has got the same car and had problems with it. Im buying an estate 56 plate fully loaded sat nav screen and all. Want to keep it for a year or so and see how i get on what are people's thoughts on this car ? Thanks and has anyone got there's gas converted ? :o)

Is the D4 engine not a diesel??:)

Is the D4 engine not a diesel??:)

Not necessarily.

The D(ynamic) 4 engine can be used with Diesel, Gas, LPG and LNG (Liquified NitroGen).

Performance of the engine is in that order. :D

sorry, couldn't resist :lol:

To Corolla T sport.

If you mean the D4D, yes it's a very good car. MK11 made from 2003/4/5 (& 6?) has 1CD-FTV engine with iron block & belt driven camshaft, a very good engine if properly looked after with regular servicing & oil changes. Don't think Toyota cars are pretty much bomb proof as in the past, when modern engines go wrong, your usually looking at series money. 2006 models onwards are to my knowledge all chain driven alloy engines ( will stand corrected) have a good read through Forum about certain models in regards to h/gaskets etc. This to my knowledge depends on which variant of engine your possible purchase has fitted.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: Don't let the above put you off, for every 1 car on forum with problem, you could have 99 other's driving around with never a problem. Cannot help with gas conversion, not my area. Wait for more postings, before emptying the wallet.

I have an 05 2.0 d4d, so far(2.5 years) so good but don't buy one for the power output. A bit under powered for me and would not buy again.

Hi thanks guys thanks for the messages and it all helps me make me mind up. The car is going to be about 5 grand so as far as im aware its a good buy. The car is a 2.0 petrol but they have a 4 cam somthing so its a D4? and not the D4D i think they are the diesle version ? and the one im getting is a 2.0 Petrol D4 ! Its go the lexus style sat nav and everything in there :P Has anyone kitted one up etc? Thanks again !

Hi thanks guys thanks for the messages and it all helps me make me mind up. The car is going to be about 5 grand so as far as im aware its a good buy. The car is a 2.0 petrol but they have a 4 cam somthing so its a D4? and not the D4D i think they are the diesle version ? and the one im getting is a 2.0 Petrol D4 ! Its go the lexus style sat nav and everything in there :P Has anyone kitted one up etc? Thanks again !

Think you might mean T4, rather than D4?

I think you probably mean a T4 . I owned the T Spirit with the 20litre engine and had a couple of annoying little faults , the idle was erratic and appartently Mr T couldnt fix it ? with being an Automatic it was very nasty at times and under heavy acceleration from start could easily stall ! another was the brake discs , had a slight lip on the front ones (40,000 miles ) and when moving under right or left lock they scraped , again very annoying ! gone up to a Lexus now and what a revelation ... :o

• 2 weeks later...

The 2.0 Litre D4 VVTI engine is a Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) unit which is essentially a hybrid petrol-diesal engine, that is to say it is a petrol engine that takes advantage of a number of technologies developed for diesal engines to give you the best of both worlds - improved torque and mpg with the refinement of a petrol engine. In practice it does a pretty good job returning mpg figures slightly lower than diesal counterparts but without sounding like a bus! Compared to a work colleague's 2.0 litre Ford Mondeo diesal of a similar age, my 2.0 litre petrol Avensis gives between 35 and 40 MPG while his Mondeo also gives somewhere around 40 MPG if he's lucky, so by time you've allowed for the extra cost of diesal there's not a lot in it. It's also worth bearing in mind that the 2.0 litre D4 VVTI engines are pretty reliable and do not have the oil burning reputation of the 1.8 litre engine or the flywheel issues of the D4D.

• 1 month later...
The 2.0 Litre D4 VVTI engine is a Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) unit which is essentially a hybrid petrol-diesal engine, that is to say it is a petrol engine that takes advantage of a number of technologies developed for diesal engines to give you the best of both worlds - improved torque and mpg with the refinement of a petrol engine. In practice it does a pretty good job returning mpg figures slightly lower than diesal counterparts but without sounding like a bus! Compared to a work colleague's 2.0 litre Ford Mondeo diesal of a similar age, my 2.0 litre petrol Avensis gives between 35 and 40 MPG while his Mondeo also gives somewhere around 40 MPG if he's lucky, so by time you've allowed for the extra cost of diesal there's not a lot in it. It's also worth bearing in mind that the 2.0 litre D4 VVTI engines are pretty reliable and do not have the oil burning reputation of the 1.8 litre engine or the flywheel issues of the D4D.

Hi all,

I pretty much agree. ;)

I own an Avensis Liftback 2.0 vvti-D4 2006, restyled model. It is indeed a nice engine the 1AZ-FSE. Smooth, silent, progressive and with good fuel consumption.

Cheers,

Pedro

Hi i would buy another avensis without doubt.I agree with post above dont expect the 114bhp to be fast from set off you have to make them really work to get speed.But i never driven a car with 127k on it that feels like new.I mean that i bought and sold a few in my time and can say the avensis 2004 and 127k on it handles drives +sounds +all door handles buttons etc etc all work and feel like day one.

There is nothing sloppy like most cars would be at that milegae and age.

I would buy again without doubt very impressed they are like a fine wine .

My wifes car we have owned for a while now it retuns 47mpg all the time, big and safe very trustworthy .As for the power well you get use to what you have eventually.