Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wiper Blades

Cherry Red Pocket Rocket

I've got some Bosch blades on the front which I fitted in April. They've served me well but have started to squeak and judder a little. I've seen a lot of retro fit Wiper Blades on new cars and from what I understand they're much better than conventional Wiper Blades?

I've had a look online and have found various results for retro fit blades for my Yaris. Who manufacturers the best retro fit Wiper Blades? Currently looking at VALEO Silencio X.TRM RETROFIT FLAT wiper Blade

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cherry Red Pocket Rocket

• alfiejts

• Raeman

• sisaven

I've got some Bosch blades on the front which I fitted in April. They've served me well but have started to squeak and judder a little. I've seen a lot of retro fit wiper blades on new cars and from what I understand they're much better than conventional wiper blades?

I've had a look online and have found various results for retro fit blades for my Yaris. Who manufacturers the best retro fit wiper blades? Currently looking at VALEO Silencio X.TRM RETROFIT FLAT Wiper Blade

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a 2008 1.3 Yaris, which I changed to last year, after lovingly owning a 1.8 mk1 Avensis for 6 years prior.

One of the dislikes I had within a few days of driving the Yaris (during the Summer Months so of course it was raining) was the noisy Windscreen Wiper Blades, which also skipped little bits here & there, especially the passenger side, which left an annoying "end of travel" mark right in my line of vision, but because there were other more important considerations at that time I convinced myself they would probably Bed In after a suitable period.

The Avensis had very quiet more efficient Wiper Blades, which in fact remained unchanged in the 6yrs I owned the car, which made it even more surprising that the Yaris was lacking in this respect.

However, spurred on by recent Improvements to the car, = I had my Gear Selection problem sorted out by my local Toyota Dealership, = armed with information obtained on this Forum, of a new Fix for this fault, which has made a vast Improvement to the Gear Selection for this particular Model/ Year. (see threads on Gearbox Crunch)

But back to the original thread title, = I have now Changed my Wiper Blades to a pair of the latest "Retrofit" Blades, obtained on eBay =

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/CarWiperBlades__W0QQ_armrsZ1

These Blades have made a vast Improvement, they are Quiet, No Skips, they clear a larger area of Screen, especially on the Passenger side. very good quality,

and they Look Good.

I have driven these past 6 weeks in all types of rain conditions. and can Thoroughly Recommend.

I have some fitted like the one's sisaven means and will agree, they are excellent. ;)

Make sure you get the correct sizes though, i ordered 2 blade's on E-bay and one of them was too big. I got onto them and they did send me the correct ones though so all's good. :thumbsup:

For anyone as obsessive about wiper performance as about headlight brightness, you can't do better than fit a set of PIAA silicone Wiper Blades.

Unlike every other blade, they apply a film onto the windscreen as they sweep that causes the water to bead off the screen.

They are expensive, but once you've tried them you won't go back to anything else. The difference when driving on the motorway in rain or spray is amazing.

I had an uncle who swore by them for years but I didn't try them for a long time, but now I have, they get fitted immediately to every car I buy, even swapping wipers on brand new cars for them....

You have to buy them mail order (well there are some shops but none near me...) and you can either buy full Wiper Blades or just rubber refills.

As they don't do a 14" blade to fit the Mk2 Yaris, I buy a 15" refill, fit it into my existing wiper arm and cut an inch of the rubber off with scissers...

Also my Audi A3 has the flat "aero" blade and they don't do those either -so again, I buy the rubber refills and fit them to my existing wiper arms..

Definately worth a try - really do make a big difference to visibility....

There's info here and a "google search" will find several online stores. Prices vary between stores so worth a look around before you buy....

http://www.piaa.co.uk/wipers/wipers.asp

We bought a set of Bosch Aerotwins for our Sr and they are superb. Bosch developed the original flat Wiper Blades and are used as OEM by various manufacturers. I couldn't find mk1 Yaris retrofits, and so ordered some for a Fiesta which are 22" & 16". These sweep the entire screen and do not touch. They are a massive improvement over the older style of wipers and have lasted just over a year so far with no signs of squeaking. Link for the Aerotwins.

In the past I was tempted by a cheaper flat design brand for my rear wiper (non-yaris), within 6 months the thing had dismantled itself.

According to retrofit blades they have 100 times the power of an ordinary blade? The PIAA silicone one is in the shape of the old style blades so why aren't the retro fit ones bettter? Or does it come down to materials and that because PIAA blades are silicone, they're better? Which shall it be then PIAA or Retrofit? Anyone else care to share their opinion on the matter?

I think you're taking in the marketing hype too much for the retrofit aerofoil blades - as long as any blade is staying stuck to the windscreen and isn't lifting off the glass at speed, then its doing its job....

You don't actually want 100 times the pressure of the blade onto your windscreen as that would create extra drag and could cause the wiper motor gearing to wear out prematurely....

In comparing the two - I think you're comparing style versus performance.

The aerofoil blades work ok, no reason nnot to buy them because they do a fine job, but you're buying them for mainly for the looks. The PIAA blades have no "style" factor but you're buying them for the performance - its the silicone rubber blade that is the key with these...

So - if your the sort of person thast buys the "blue tinted" headlight bulbs because they look cool (even thought the light output isn't as great as pure white bulbs), buy the aerofoil blade.

If your the sort of person where performance matters and you buy the headlight bulbs with the brightest light output irrespective of the colour of the light, try the PIAA blades - nothing else comes close to giving you better vision in the motorway in the rain....

I drove from Carlisle to Blackpool in the rain with a broken wiper motor last Chrismas Eve and, because of the coating on the screen, I could see perfectly clearly. Life only became difficult when I pulled off the motorway at Blackpool and my speed dropped below 40mph when the wind wasn't enought to blow the rain off the windscreen.

There's no other blade that makes that much difference....

I replaced all the blades on my Yaris in 2005 when I bought it s'h as they all squealed. Used original Toyota blades.

I make sure I wash the windscreen regularly and use lots of washer fluid all year round.. and use the washers regularly.

The front wipers are still OK and make no noise.

The rear one is now squealing even when the screen is wet and needs to be replaced.

Can't be bothered with more expensive ones.

Cleaning the blades and screen to remove grit is key to long life as is washer fluid.

I think you're taking in the marketing hype too much for the retrofit aerofoil blades - as long as any blade is staying stuck to the windscreen and isn't lifting off the glass at speed, then its doing its job....

You don't actually want 100 times the pressure of the blade onto your windscreen as that would create extra drag and could cause the wiper motor gearing to wear out prematurely....

The aerofoil blades work ok, no reason nnot to buy them because they do a fine job, but you're buying them for mainly for the looks. The PIAA blades have no "style" factor but you're buying them for the performance - its the silicone rubber blade that is the key with these...

So - if your the sort of person thast buys the "blue tinted" headlight bulbs because they look cool (even thought the light output isn't as great as pure white bulbs), buy the aerofoil blade.

If your the sort of person where performance matters and you buy the headlight bulbs with the brightest light output irrespective of the colour of the light, try the PIAA blades - nothing else comes close to giving you better vision in the motorway in the rain....

I drove from Carlisle to Blackpool in the rain with a broken wiper motor last Chrismas Eve and, because of the coating on the screen, I could see perfectly clearly. Life only became difficult when I pulled off the motorway at Blackpool and my speed dropped below 40mph when the wind wasn't enought to blow the rain off the windscreen.

I bought a pair of PIAA blades for my D4D Yaris and Lexus IS200 today (mail order from Demon Tweeks) and payed £90 for them, this included VAT & carriage (i need my head examining) I hope they live up to the hype?

Will they be worth that amount of money? :unsure: i will let you know when they are fitted and been used for a while.

I bought a pair of PIAA blades for my D4D Yaris and Lexus IS200 today (mail order from Demon Tweeks) and payed £90 for them, this included VAT & carriage (i need my head examining) I hope they live up to the hype?

Will they be worth that amount of money? :unsure: i will let you know when they are fitted and been used for a while.

£90 for two sets of Wiper Blades?? :o

I would agree, you might benefit from a good head examining! :lol::lol: :P

How is spending £90 to improve the safety of 2 cars a daft thing to do???

It will probably be the best money you have spent....

According to retrofit blades they have 100 times the power of an ordinary blade? The PIAA silicone one is in the shape of the old style blades so why aren't the retro fit ones bettter? Or does it come down to materials and that because PIAA blades are silicone, they're better? Which shall it be then PIAA or Retrofit? Anyone else care to share their opinion on the matter?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RETROFIT-FLAT-Wiper-...=item5ad161b3af = £15. 00

I can recommend, after 50+yrs experience of replacing Wiper Blades, = Don't let your choice Wipe Away your Bank Balance

Good Luck,

well, i just purchased 2 Wiper Blades for mine from tesco.... tescos own brand 16" and 22" @ £3.29 each and they work perfectly. :lol:

Hmm

My two new blades were £9.99 from Toyota in 2006...(I have the invoice in front of me--- how sad!)

£9.99 for two.. not each :-)

For £90 odd I could buy 2.5 new tyres...

All I can say is that when you are next passing a lorry in the rain on the motorway and you can't see the road ahead for several seconds at 70mph, just ask yourself whether you're happy to have saved a few quid on your Wiper Blades or whether you'd have rather spent a few quid more and been able to see properly....

Although I must admit that £90 seems a bit steep. I've been paying about £16-£18 or so, each. when I've bought online and about £8 for the rubber refills to fit my Audi's aero blades and the small 14" passenger wiper for the Yaris...

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of...per_Blades.html

http://www.performance-oils.co.uk/acatalog...A_Products.html

Well anytime i have overtaken wagons on the M/way at 70+, my Wiper Blades have been more than adequate, just put them on twin speed for a few seconds....and they cost me about £8 each.

You can allways apply some Rain-X to the screen aswell, i use it on the visor of my bike helmet and you imagine riding at 70+ on the m/way on a bike with the wind to contend with and the water thrown up from wagons, you literally can't see a thing unless you use Rain-X.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAIN-X-RAIN-REPELLEN...=item19b67eb723

Well anytime i have overtaken wagons on the M/way at 70+, my wiper blades have been more than adequate, just put them on twin speed for a few seconds....and they cost me about £8 each.

You can allways apply some Rain-X to the screen aswell, i use it on the visor of my bike helmet and you imagine riding at 70+ on the m/way on a bike with the wind to contend with and the water thrown up from wagons, you literally can't see a thing unless you use Rain-X.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAIN-X-RAIN-REPELLEN...=item19b67eb723

I agree with your comments above, the aforementioned Wiper Blades I recently fitted are superb on motorways,

As for the "Rain-X" I have been using this for many years, first purchased some at Motor Show (NEC) Demonstration c. 20yrs ago, I use it on the side windows and rear window, of my Yaris. also on the Headlights, Wing Mirrors, and rear lights. I personally don't like it on the Windscreen as it gives a cereal affect of the water being pushed up over the screen, and also tends to leave imprints of the wiper Arcs, over a period of time

As you have stated above it is excellent on helmet Visors, I also use it on mine, however isn't it strange, that on the Car windows it lasts Months, before you have to re,apply the Rain-x, but on a M/C Helmet Visor, its needed every couple of weeks.

Purchase some value blades and check how well they work compared to your PIAA blades

Is this based on fact?

I disagree, they are both performance brands. However if the PIAA blades were as good as the Aerotwins then you'd see them on Manufacturers cars. I'd wager the Aerotwins being equally, if not more efficient, than the PIAA, or else manufacturers would be not have switched to the Aerotwin style blades. Just relating to your comparison between style and performance, did you know that you can buy the PIAA wipers in a carbon effect? So using your analogy that'd be like buying the blue bulbs.

I'm not knocking the silicon blades. However you can achieve the same with Rain-X, and have the added benefits of the Aerotwin wipers. Many manufacturers use the flat Aerotwin technology on their entire fleet of vehicles. They have budgets to get the best equipment for their vehicles and clearly the Aerotwin style blades has been proven to be more efficient at clearing water than the older style of wiper.

'You pays your money'...

Sisaven, your quite right about the Rain-x, it does seem to last ages on my car's aswell but not on the helmet visor i agree.

Maybe it's because the visor is a different plastic than the headlight lens on a car for example and it just doesn't seem to stay on long enough or something major scientific is involved somewhere?? i dunno. :lol:

No hassle to keep applying it though as i take the visor off my lid after a few rides, give it a good wash in hot soapy water, dry it and rain-x it.

Jobs a guddun as they say. :lol:

I use Rain-X on my side and rear windows as that too makes a big difference to visibility, but I tried it on my winscreen once and never again - there was too much smearing when using the windscreen wipers after using Rain-X in the screen....

If you want to try Rain-X on the windscreen, do it on a car just before you sell it, so that you can see the effect but you're not stuck with it if you don't like the results - cos its a bugger to get off again!

With regard to the aerofoil wipers - I have them fitted as standard to my Audi and they work just fine - but they still have "ordinary" rubber blades. The areofoil is simply a different style of wiper arm mount.

I replaced the ordinary rubber blades in my aerofoils with PIAA "refills" at just £8 each for the best of both worlds....

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.tripledge.co.uk/

There was a "google" ad on the Toyota Forum web site.

They look to be the same as the PIAA blades but at a much more reasonable price.

I'm thinking of getting a set to try on my woife's car as they're 12 months old and starting to show their age.....

If you order any though - double check your wiper blade sizes. I've just selected the "latest Yaris" off their web site and it selected a 20" and a 13" blade as being suitable - and I'm sure that's not right.

I'm going out to measure them tonight when my wife gets home but I'm sure they're 24" and 14" on the Mk2....

I tried buying the tripleedge ones but their annoying ordering sytem would only allow me to add one wiper blade to my cart. I couldn't add another for the drivers side. I decided to order some PIAA ones in the end. Front wipers and a refill for the rear cost £50 which isn't too bad. Especially considering the recommendation that they come with. Can't wait to fit them along with my Philips Xtreme bulbs when they come through which were another £20. If it improves visibility and safety overall then no price is too great!

lol. That's because I has fifteen blades in my basket, whilst trying to find another make & model with 24" blades.....

I just kept trying different makes & models trying to find the right size....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links