Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seized Caliper Guide Pin

myromeo

Hi all,

today I replaced my TSports front disks and pads and unfortunately have found a bit of an issue, passenger side caliper is seized :(

I have reassembled them for now but after a very short journey the disk is overheating pretty bad.

I need to either repair or replace the caliper guide (not the piston side fortunately, just the carrier side) so...

does anyone have any advice for releasing a seized guide? Im going to dismantle it tomorrow and try to manually release it with the aid of a lot of WD40!

Anyone done this before?

failing that, anyone have a spair carrier they would be willing to release??

MANY MANY thanks!

which bit is it thats seized? half the calipler slides on the pins but you should be able to fish them out by whacking the carrier a couple of times with a mallet followed by some blow torching. WD40 is okay but i find in seized situations heat is the only way.

My suggestion would be to hacksaw through the gaiter, pull the pin out from the carrier end and then heat the end of the pin still attached to the floating bit. Once you've done this, dunk it in some water really quickly and the shock should release it. Normally people would be worried about bits and bobs warping but as I've got mine well hot and not had any problems I can pretty much vouch that its not going to trash your carriers.

hope this helps.

Hi guys I have an occasional squeeky front drivers side brake, I am running on new pads and discs (these were put on for me at the dealers when I bought the car) so can not say what they are, they are well bedded in, I have done 3000 miles since they were fitted, could this also be a sticking caliper.

Hi guys I have an occasional squeeky front drivers side brake, I am running on new pads and discs (these were put on for me at the dealers when I bought the car) so can not say what they are, they are well bedded in, I have done 3000 miles since they were fitted, could this also be a sticking caliper.

Your squeaky brake may be down to lack of copper slip on the backing of the pads, has it been squeaky since you got them done or just started?

Pretty simple to correct this.

Matt

Your squeaky brake may be down to lack of copper slip on the backing of the pads, has it been squeaky since you got them done or just started?

Pretty simple to correct this.

Matt

Was not there straight away started after a while but it is not there all the time it is only now and then.