Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Brakes Now Done, Calipers All Unseized... What A Difference!

myromeo

Finally got round to replacing all disks and pads on the TSport, my word what a huge difference its made!

Disks had covered abuot 72k, pads about 8k.

Front pasenger caliper slider had seized and was sticking bad, as was driver side rear.

Front disks were pretty poor condition but no worse than you would expect OEM after 72k and a few track days... rears were a different story.

Now, before you jump to any conclusions, this PASSED an MOT!

IMG_0329.jpg

Outer side was completely fine, small lip on edge but nothing to suggest anything wrong!

Rear pads were cracked and one had split about 5mm from the end so was missing bits!

Cant believe the condition these were in yet able to pass an MOT!

I suspect the rear disks are down to the previous owner leaving the car stood for long periods of time, then again a few track days wont have helped!

Got a full mintex setup now, VERY nice!

Comments welcome... LOL

I suppose it's due to the fact that it's not the condition of the discs and pads (unless obviously dangerous) but the amount of preasure it takes to stop the car on the rollers.

Friend is an MOT'er in a local garage and told me mine would pass fine and they were getting to those standards. :lol:

So much for MOT testing standards Eh!! I live in Northern Ireland and many folks on this side of the Irish Sea are very reluctant to accept UK Mainland MOT certs - now I'm beginning to realise why. It would seem the brake testing system can't check for runout or ovality. Lets be honest a blind man on a galloping horse would know the disc shown in the picture couldn't be running true - EEK!!

So much for MOT testing standards Eh!! I live in Northern Ireland and many folks on this side of the Irish Sea are very reluctant to accept UK Mainland MOT certs - now I'm beginning to realise why. It would seem the brake testing system can't check for runout or ovality. Lets be honest a blind man on a galloping horse would know the disc shown in the picture couldn't be running true - EEK!!

Problem is though, if you have a car where the wheels are small and the spokes conceal the disc quite a lot, it's not always as easy to tell as you may think. Plus you are not allowed to add or remove anything during an MOT, so you cannot move in for closer inspection. :) (Plus, what the picture shows is the rear of the disc, not the front which could by all means tell a different story. )

However, it was quite obvious even if partially concealed that the discs was knackered, and should never get through an MOT. :no:

The outside face o the disk looked fine, worn but not heavily by any means.

Just goes to show tho, the required braking force for an mot pass is so low even a completely knackered disc will pass!

Glad I've got nice shiny new discs and pads all round now, much more faith in stopping now!

Problem is though, if you have a car where the wheels are small and the spokes conceal the disc quite a lot, it's not always as easy to tell as you may think. Plus you are not allowed to add or remove anything during an MOT, so you cannot move in for closer inspection. :) (Plus, what the picture shows is the rear of the disc, not the front which could by all means tell a different story. )

However, it was quite obvious even if partially concealed that the discs was knackered, and should never get through an MOT. :no:

Well I can tell you the inspectors at the MOT testing station I use always make a close inspection of disc both front and rear and guess what - they use a small mirror and an inspection lamp. Where there's a will there's a way. Their criteria is that each side of the disc must be at least 75% clean metal and run continously and even through it's circumference. In all honesty they rarely need to check that far as their brake testing system usually detects imbalance, runout, ovality, snatching and efficiency and the test recording computer may actually prevent them from doing any further testing beyond that point. In the case of serious failure the tester has the power to impound the car and will only be released if it's taken away for repair on a vehicle transporter.:)

James, the problem with the corolla rear discs is the shield bit completely blocks the disc so visual inspection isn't an option Ans as I say, outside face looked ok.

Scary!

• 2 months later...

Checking for ovality on a brake disc? Why? The OD is in fresh air :wacko:

My Romeo, at least you have them changed now thats the most important thing

Would you be able to post some snaps of your new set up?

Did you buy the Mintex drilled and grooved that were on eBay?

Think They will be the brand I use when mine are in for a Change

cheers luke

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links