Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Does This Switch Operate?

IrwingBronze

Hi All,

Had my Avensis diesel tourer a few months now ,but have still not found what the switch on the far left of the photo operates ,my handbook says its a Power Heater switch but nothing happens when I swich it on , no relay operates , no difference in engine load can be heard.

Someone else must have this switch fitted , any ideas?

Regards

post-83806-1259691754_thumb.jpg

The power heater is supposed to help provide warm cabin air quicker than would normally happen due to the amount of time it takes for a diesel engine to warm up. From what I gather it's basically a small diesel burner.

The power heater is supposed to help provide warm cabin air quicker than would normally happen due to the amount of time it takes for a diesel engine to warm up. From what I gather it's basically a small diesel burner.

Hi ,

have tried operating the switch under the conditions the handbook says but cannot find any difference in heater output if i do have this 'Power heater system ' fitted to my vehicle.

There does not seem to be anything unusual in the engine bay either.

Thought there may be a possibility of me having heated seats (but not working) and this switch was used for that circuit.

Does anybody's Avensis have this switch fitted or is it just a blanking plate where mine is.

Regards

Hi All,

Had my Avensis diesel tourer a few months now ,but have still not found what the switch on the far left of the photo operates ,my handbook says its a Power Heater switch but nothing happens when I swich it on , no relay operates , no difference in engine load can be heard.

Regards

Could the switch in the pic not be for mirror heaters or is the switch for such elsewhere - just guessing??:)

Hi All,

Regards

Could the switch in the pic not be for mirror heaters or is the switch for such elsewhere - just guessing??:)

Tried the mirrors - no heat , unless I have a fuse out, or they simply dont work.Not standard spec on this model.

Have got wiring diagrams but dont want to spend ages tracing wires ,thought this switch may have been a standard fit that others also have on their vehicles.

The symbol on switch in question is similiar to the heated rear screen switch , so would think it must be some kind of heated circuit.

Regards.

Hi All,

Regards

Tried the mirrors - no heat , unless I have a fuse out, or they simply dont work.Not standard spec on this model.

Have got wiring diagrams but dont want to spend ages tracing wires ,thought this switch may have been a standard fit that others also have on their vehicles.

The symbol on switch in question is similiar to the heated rear screen switch , so would think it must be some kind of heated circuit.

Regards.

I have the same switch and have tried the same things! Seems to do nothing but glow when switched on! According to the manual it is a power heater though, but what?

David

Hi ,

have tried operating the switch under the conditions the handbook says but cannot find any difference in heater output if i do have this 'Power heater system ' fitted to my vehicle.

Thought there may be a possibility of me having heated seats (but not working) and this switch was used for that circuit.

Does anybody's Avensis have this switch fitted or is it just a blanking plate where mine is.

Regards

I think the "Power Heater" is only an option for the Scandinavian market

Hi,

I'm not familiar with the particular switch but some diesel merc's have a similar thing. Basically it's an electrically operated, diesel fuelled coolant heater. If you follow the coolant pipes you should find some sort of "box" with the coolant pipes going to it, along with a small diesel pipe, some electric connections or plug, and an exhaust. On the merc's it only worked if the ambient temperature was below 2 or 3 degrees. When working you could hear a noise a bit like a small jet engine, and you could see the smoke coming out of it's exhaust. On sprinters it's exhaust showed in the front wheel arch.

Hope this helps.

Hi ,

Regards

I think the "Power Heater" is only an option for the Scandinavian market

If its only an option for the scandinavians how come we have a switch that lights up and everything, thats what i dont get yet!

Need to look under the bonnet and investigate!

David

Hi All,

Regards

Hi

Yes I bought a 2003 model a few years ago with this switch fitted, reading the handbook refers to a diesel burner fitted to the engine bay which heats the cabin.

Mine appeared to do nothing I booked the car in under warranty to have it sorted, when I arrived the forman came out to ask the problem having told him I was advise that the heater only worked when the temperatuer fell below minus 20 and there was no point looking at it, what a cop out.

Not being happy I contacted Toyota customer services who referred me to the technical dept, they didnt know but said they would find out and tell me.

The answer was, "for the UK market the diesel heater is not fitted, the switch in this case switches on a coolant heater to give faster engine warm up, this heater only operates when the ambiant temperature falls below 5 degrees celcius.

Check how far you drive from cold before the cabin heater works, it does make a difference.

Hope this helps.

It is a diesel powered heater. More precise, Eberspächer is the make. In scandinavian models.

If you don't have that extra heater in your car, you dont have that switch at all, just a blank plate.

Putting it on doesn't affect the engine load at all.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links