Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing The Spare Wheel .. Rant

matt@theforce

Got a puncture the other night in the rear right tyre (only 1 week old), found all the bits for the jack etc and came accross my 1st problem, with the running boards on and a flat tyre I couldn't see underneath to see where the jacking point was, 2nd problem, with the jack at its highest point I could take the wheel with the flat tyre off but not fit the spare as the car wasn't high enough :angry: , thankfully I was at home and could use my trolley jack.

Was a very frustrating night, especially as it was cold/raining and thought as we had a flat tyre would be a good time to show SWMBO how to change it.

I can only think that somebody has changed the jack as it easily lifts the car high enough to change an inflated wheel.

I can only think that somebody has changed the jack as it easily lifts the car high enough to change an inflated wheel.

:unsure:

I hope so too as our car has just developed a slow puncture and so needs changing at the weekend.

I hope so too as our car has just developed a slow puncture and so needs changing at the weekend.

I can say the jack does lift the RAV high enough...although you think it wont...almost completely wind up the scissor jack....

Having changed a tyre on the hard shoulder of a busy motorway... soon got the tyre changed..... :blink: :blink: :blink:

Got a puncture the other night in the rear right tyre (only 1 week old), found all the bits for the jack etc and came accross my 1st problem, with the running boards on and a flat tyre I couldn't see underneath to see where the jacking point was, 2nd problem, with the Jack at its highest point I could take the wheel with the flat tyre off but not fit the spare as the car wasn't high enough :angry: , thankfully I was at home and could use my trolley jack.

Was a very frustrating night, especially as it was cold/raining and thought as we had a flat tyre would be a good time to show SWMBO how to change it.

I had a recent service which noted that the front tyres on my T180 were wearing faster than the rears (5-6-5 on both rears, 3-5-3 on both fronts, after 12671 miles). So I decided to swap front and rears, and looked for the jacking points. The point actually looks like it's part of the running board, so you might be a bit wary placing there. But it's a horizontal bracket shaped fixture on the inside edge of the running board. And obviously you should see one for both the rear and front.

Glad Matt posted this first, as I have been wondering, since fitting the side steps, how it would go re seeing jacking points on a dark wet night in Scotlandshire.

Would admit should have checked by now, but will expedite purchase of a trolley jack and carry it, hopefully in one of the boot's wee cut out compartments.

Can a trolley jack be used at the standard jacking points, or should it always be positioned at the front and rear dedicated points?

Thanks,

Big Kev. :help:

Glad Matt posted this first, as I have been wondering, since fitting the side steps, how it would go re seeing jacking points on a dark wet night in Scotlandshire.

Would admit should have checked by now, but will expedite purchase of a trolley jack and carry it, hopefully in one of the boot's wee cut out compartments.

Can a trolley jack be used at the standard jacking points, or should it always be positioned at the front and rear dedicated points?

Thanks,

Big Kev. :help:

I, like Anchorman, suspect that Matt's jack has been swopped - or it wasn't in the right place. With the side steps on the jacking point is in fact a bit lower than without. Therefore the jack should actually lift the car higher. It is possible to feel the jacking point if you know what you are looking for - they are at either end of the rail the steps are bolted to.side_steps.pdf

See Page 7

And, if you want a set of genuine side steps for your 4.3, don't forget I have a brand new set at half price on the 'For Sale' Forum ;)

:eek: Kev,

Re the positioning of the jack... Fist of all position yourself in Yorkshire where we have daylight and fine weather before March. Then once in the promised land in daylight stik yer 'ead under car and find summert solid to put the jack on wi a bit a wood between the two surfaces to absorb any sticky out bits.

Hope this helps.

Mereside

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links