Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Still No Joy With Corolla 1.4 Vvti 2002

StevieG62

Hi All further to my previous post about my corolla not startingmIve removed my crank sensor and measured the resistance and Im getting a reading of 2121 ohms which apparently means its fine,does anyone know if a faulty cam shaft sensor would stop it from starting?to recap,Im getting spark and fuel but just wont start/Thanks Steve

Hi mate, my TS broke down a few month ago and wouldn't start. Had to tow it to the garage who said I had a faulty crank shaft sensor, can't remember how much it cost though..

Hi All further to my previous post about my corolla not startingmIve removed my crank sensor and measured the resistance and Im getting a reading of 2121 ohms which apparently means its fine,does anyone know if a faulty cam shaft sensor would stop it from starting?to recap,Im getting spark and fuel but just wont start/Thanks Steve

a car can run with a faulty camshaft sensor but it just runss like a bag of sh*t but am crank shaft sensor it wont run dosnt spark

Thanks for replies,have tested crank sensor again this evening with another meter and getting 2150 ohms which is bang in the middle where it should be,so Im going to put it back in tomorrow now Ive cleaned it up.I was getting a spark before I removed it,will update when its fitted.I was gettting fault codes P1340 and P1345 which led me to the crank and cam sensors.Steve

Thanks for replies,have tested crank sensor again this evening with another meter and getting 2150 ohms which is bang in the middle where it should be,so Im going to put it back in tomorrow now Ive cleaned it up.I was getting a spark before I removed it,will update when its fitted.I was gettting fault codes P1340 and P1345 which led me to the crank and cam sensors.Steve

Hi Ive refitted my crank sensor,rechecked all fuses and had my fuel rail off and all seem fine,however damn thing still wont start,even checked inside port for crank sensor and sprocket turning as you would imagine it would.Stumped now,does anyone think just because my crank sensor is testing ok and plugs are sparking that it ok?Thanks for all help so far Steve

A resistance test won't always prove a sensor is working. You'll need to check if a signal is being produced.

Most timing sensors are simple magnets surrounded by a small coil and as the metal of either the flywheel or camshaft pases by it produces an eddy current - usually in the millivolt range. Set your multimeter to millivolts connect to the sensor and with the spark plugs removed spin the engine over - the meter should produce a series of pulses. Ideally an osciliscope is the nest method of testing but the multimeter method is usually sufficient to test for a signal although it may not show exactly the strenth of the signal.:)

A resistance test won't always prove a sensor is working. You'll need to check if a signal is being produced.

Most timing sensors are simple magnets surrounded by a small coil and as the metal of either the flywheel or camshaft pases by it produces an eddy current - usually in the millivolt range. Set your multimeter to millivolts connect to the sensor and with the spark plugs removed spin the engine over - the meter should produce a series of pulses. Ideally an osciliscope is the nest method of testing but the multimeter method is usually sufficient to test for a signal although it may not show exactly the strenth of the signal.:)

Thanks for that James,Im gonna try n get a used one and try that as they are around £120 from toyota.The thing thats puzzling me is that Im getting a good spark sequence,with a knackered crank sensor I imagined I wouldnt get that.Steve

Is it possible the camshafts are out of sequence due to a failure in the variable valve drive system. Have you tried a compression test.:)

Is it possible the camshafts are out of sequence due to a failure in the variable valve drive system. Have you tried a compression test.:)

I suppose thats possible James.I havent done a compression test,I strongly suspect the cam sensor is faulty though,Ive done a resistance check on it and it appears to be open circuit.Steve

Hi all,updae to my corolla problem and Im afraid it isnt good news Im afraid.After more investigation today I completely removed the rocker cover to check that both sprockets were in correct positions.On turning the engine by hand,I found that although both sprockets are rotating,the inner camshaft isnt.No sign of retaining bolt either,so its now looking like a major strip down and something I dont fancy doing at home.Anyone know of anyone in St Helens, Merseyside area who could help?Thanks for all help with this problem.Steve

• 2 weeks later...
x

Hi Mate did you post a reply to my post,enquiring whether anyone knows anywhere or anyone in St Helens Merseyside area,who could repair my engine?Ive just got a reply but its blank.Thanks Steve

There's a guy called Fazzer in that neck of the woods who seems to know what he's doing.

Have a search around here for him (think he hangs around the Celica side mostly)

There's a guy called Fazzer in that neck of the woods who seems to know what he's doing.

Have a search around here for him (think he hangs around the Celica side mostly)

Thanks very much for that mate Steve

• 4 weeks later...

i am having the exact same problem and need it fixed any update on what the problem is!!! its the girlfriends car 00 1.4 vvti 4zz-fe its driving me cracked

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links