Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Wiper Interval Delay

Airman

Hi all

Anybody know how to wire a interval delay into the rear wiper rather than it just being on or off?

I had fitted a rear spoiler, looks nice but seems to channel more water from the roof onto the rear window, so I am constantly turning the rear wiper on and off, hence the queston about the interval delay.

you need two regular relays, one interval relay (I used one from golf mk2) and app. 100 cm of wire. Connect new wire to minus trigger pulse wire near windshield fluid bottle (impulse comes from main wipers switch).

Once connected pull wire through engine compartment to come somewhere between driver door and pedals. Open lower plastic cover near driver door and instrument panel and find light green color wire (this wire send signal from wipers switch to rear wiper motor) Cut this wire.

On new wire you set, connect relay to change from negative trigger to positive trigger. Now you have positive trigger impulse (on is when wiper switch is in position for washing rear window end upper position on switch or end rear position of switch)

Now connect impulse relay (my is from golf 2 and needs positive trigger) to positive trigger relay you installed.

Find impulse out on interval relay (this is now positive trigger). Once you find and you are sure that works every 4-5 seconds (check with simple tester) connect second regular relay to change again polarity from positive to negative (wiper motor is on negative trigger impulse).

On the end connect this to light green wire to rear motor wiper. There is no more “on” function wiper will work same in interval as on VW Golf MK2 or MK3.

Switch works only on command for washing for on/off.

On my aygo works nice!!!

hi

and thanks for the reply, I thought this topic was dead in the water, though I need some time to digest some of the instructions, not sure which terminals to use on either rely, and though I see you used a VW relay what did you use for the first neg to pos trigger?

May need to ask some other questions once I look at my car, but certainly sounds promising

Sure you can, English is not my native language so I guess you have problems to understand

So near clutch pedal is plastic cover you can open and find existing light green wire (almost all wires are on this place), This wire connect wiper/washer switch with wiper motor and it is negative trigger. Cut this wire. Also wiper/washer switch sends negative trigger command to washer motor (under hood). Plug new wire on this existing washer wire (do not cut it just connect them together) (I connected near windshield fluid bottle) and install it through engine compartment to the light green wire in cabin (one you cut).

On the end of new wire install any relay you find (horn, fog lights or etc). This relay is needed to change polarity from negative trigger to positive.

(need to do this because golf rear wiper relay triggers on positive polarity).

Once you connected this relay and successfully changes polarity use + from this relay and connect it to golf relay. Golf relay once is on send impulse + signal every 4 to 5 seconds. Now before connect this + signal from golf relay to light green wire (that goes to aygo rear wiper motor) you need to change polarity again (wiper motor triggers on negative polarity).

Again any relay to change it from + to – polarity and connect it to motor.

It is actually very simple and anybody with same little experience with car installation can fix it in 45 minutes.

On the end rear wiper will work on same way as is on VW Golf. On positions on wiper switch will be dead. You will turn interval rear wiper whan switch is in position for washer on. You will turn it on same way.

• 4 weeks later...

Working prototype in my car...

I'm working on making an international (read: English) subtitled one,

but I haven't got my source-material available momentarily...

The PCB has just been approved by the Chinese PCB-maker, so in about

3 to 4 weeks we'll probebly have the first series ready for shipment.

Installation wil involve snipping one wire, connecting two wires

to those ends and tapping/splicing off 3 other wires.

Nice one, look forward to seeing it thumbsup.gif

Working prototype in my car...

I'm working on making an international (read: English) subtitled one,

but I haven't got my source-material available momentarily...

The PCB has just been approved by the Chinese PCB-maker, so in about

3 to 4 weeks we'll probebly have the first series ready for shipment.

Installation wil involve snipping one wire, connecting two wires

to those ends and tapping/splicing off 3 other wires.

Looks good, waiting with baited breath.

• 1 year later...

It's been a while, but I finally got around to translating the text in the video:

The past year I've installed 20 of these systems in cars and every one seems to be satisfied.

I just finished the last 5 systems I had parts for, if there's enough demand I might run a new series.

• 10 years later...

I am normally using the rear wiper by briefly turning it ON then OFF from the stalk. I was thinking to automate the task by installing a cheap micro-controller (NodeMCU) that will pulse a relay at a set interval. The relay NO contact will than briefly close the rear wiper ON circuit, hence the intrusion in car wiring would be minimal. Does anyone have an electrical drawing for the stalk / wiping system?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links