Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vvtl-i Lift Problem

mark01348

Hi guys,

I've got a 2003 Tsport corolla with 57k on the clock. Basically I'm getting an intermittent problem which only happens when using lift in 2nd the hitting lift in 3rd. When at about 7000 - 7500 rpm in 3rd gear the power comes and goes really quickly. Not quite sure if the lift disengages then reengages. But it definitely runs lumpy and loses power for a split second and this happens for about 500rpm.

Has anyone experienced this? I replaced the lift bolts and changed the oil and filter when I bought the car and this reduced the symptom slightly but it sometimes still happens and can be annoying sometimes. Can anyone recommend anything?

Check the MAF sensor (clean it), check intake manifold gasket ... If this does not help, you need to give car to the site. Maybe VVTi drum damaged, maybe lift bolts which you replaced have been damaged during installation ?

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear that. I hope it's not the same issue, but have you seen this thread? Dailey87 experienced a dip in power at around 7,000 - 7,500 rpm which sounds similar to your experience, although I'm not sure if it was just the one time. Do you plan on taking your TS to a gargage? Hopefully it's not that serious. Good luck,

Thanks for the replies. The problem doesn't always occur but is quite frequent. Did Dailey87 ever find out what was wrong with his car?

This may make me look a bit stupid but I do actually work for Toyota. I've been a mechanic for 3 years and done an apprenticeship there. The only problem I have is we never have any issues with T Sports so don't have much to go on. Hence, I bought one thinking they were reliable :D

I changed the spark plugs and lift bolts when I bought the car. The lift bolts were very slightly worn. I did notice some slight marks on the cam but didn't get time to measure etc. Hopefully its not something serious, the diagnostic computer isn't displaying any DTS'c as of yet and they are usually pretty good at indicating any problems.

Ive attached some pics

Thanks

post-63488-1260812314_thumb.jpg

post-63488-1260812336_thumb.jpg

post-63488-1260812354_thumb.jpg

post-63488-1260812367_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies. The problem doesn't always occur but is quite frequent. Did Dailey87 ever find out what was wrong with his car?

This may make me look a bit stupid but I do actually work for Toyota. I've been a mechanic for 3 years and done an apprenticeship there. The only problem I have is we never have any issues with T Sports so don't have much to go on. Hence, I bought one thinking they were reliable :D

I changed the spark plugs and lift bolts when I bought the car. The lift bolts were very slightly worn. I did notice some slight marks on the cam but didn't get time to measure etc. Hopefully its not something serious, the diagnostic computer isn't displaying any DTS'c as of yet and they are usually pretty good at indicating any problems.

Ive attached some pics

Thanks

I did find out what was wrong with mine and it was the cams and a broken rocker.

In the end some of the rocker ended up flying around inside the head, shearing a valve into two and it was goodbye compression and good night T-sport. Luckly there was no bottom end damage. It's being priced up for repair atm and i have two options: a recon'd head on exchange or rebuilt my head.

I'm no mechanic but my cams looked like this, to me anyway, unfortunatly i don't have any pictures though. If i were you and had the expertice i would mesure the cams, then maybe take the cams and rockers out and check them for any abnormal wear and if they are worn, replace.

This problem seems to be cropping up more and more, i've spoken to another member on here who had the exact same thing happen to his corolla, as did a friend of his and some lotus 2zz-ge's cams and rockers failing after as little as 4000miles. I have a feeling (i hope i'm wrong) that this may well become a widespread issue as 2zzs get older....

Just want to add a little info on the cam lobe wear found on some 2ZZ-GE engine's i have seen,

Wear to the lobes of the camshaft's can occur when the oil spray bar on the inside of the cam cover becomes blocked or the O ring between the cam cover

and the oil feed on the cylinder head is perished/compressed down due to not being changed.

Lack of lubrication from one or more of the spray bar holes will result in a sharp rise in friction/heat between the cam lobe and rocker and quickly wear through

the case hardening of the contact face's.

It's worth a quick check/clean of the spray bar when replacing the lift bolts or checking the valve clearances (and replace the O ring at the same time).

If you have a build up of tarnish on the inside of the cam cover, then chances are the inside of the spray bar will be the same.

Mick

ps - have only seen 4 engines like that since 2002 :thumbsup:

Hi,

I will be looking at the engine on Saturday now. I'm going to try and address it as quickly as possible in case I have an engine failure.

Typical, I would be one of the unlucky ones. However, I suppose I am quite lucky as I've got technical data and resources.

I'll be measuring the valve clearances and cam lobes Saturday so will post some results and take some pictures to see if the condition has deteriorated.

Mick24 you mentioned this oil seal. Not exactly sure where to find this, I did have a look at the engine diagrams today but couldn't see it. If you could point it out in my picture or something that would be great so I can try find it and get it ordered ready for Saturday.

I did some investigating and it seems the modified rockers and cams come in pairs. You can't buy the rockers alone. Don't really have £500 lying around to be honest but seems it’s going to have to be done. I just hope this fixes the power dip, and it runs a bit lumpy when it’s cold. Not a misfire, just lack of power at low revs

oh :(

Top picture - bottom right :thumbsup:

2ZZ-GEcamcover.jpg

Might be handy if you can post up the part number for the seal when you get it for anyone else wanting to replace it.

Mick

Ah i read it properly now lol. Hopefully I might be able to visually see if there are any blocked holes or got any inspection tips? Don't wanna replace the cams only for them not to get oil again lol.

Yeah no problem. I'll have a look when I go to work tomorrow. Do you think cams and rockers would fix my power issue?

Thanks

Ah i read it properly now lol. Hopefully I might be able to visually see if there are any blocked holes or got any inspection tips? Don't wanna replace the cams only for them not to get oil again lol.

Yeah no problem. I'll have a look when I go to work tomorrow. Do you think cams and rockers would fix my power issue?

Thanks

i think this thread may be of some use to you in terms of inspection of the oil spray bar. :)

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/camsha...ge-p1302-50594/

Very interesting find. Thanks mate, I think I'll be carefully checking that Saturday. I ordered the seal Mick24 recommended, just gotta check its the right part then i'll post part number.

I must say though it seems i'm very unlucky or Toyota's just aint that good. I've never had a problem with the secondary air pump but now when you start the car there is the normal dip of the headlights but then the pump just doesn't start. It tries to but just doesn't lol. Haven't had any warning lights on yet though?

New pump aswell it seems?

• 10 months later...

Hi mate

I had exactly the same problem on my pfl t sport. The Toyota techs told me there was nothing wrong with it as it still reved past 6200 and the diagnostic machine couldnt find a fault! I couldnt feel lift engage and it would rev to only about 7800rpm and also struggled to get to them revs. i knew there was something serious but they wouldnt have it, they made me feel daft at Toyota and even suggested i had got use to the feel of lift and thats why i couldnt feel it anymore :wacko: I test drove a facelift just to check i wasnt going mad and ended up buying it as i couldnt be bothered trying to get mine fixed anymore, especially when i was being told there was no problem with it. Mine had about 68000 miles on it when it started to go wrong. Changed the lift bolts, gave it a good service altho it had just had one 3000 miles before, new spark plugs and had the oil control valve cleaned out a couple of times and none of this helped!

Forgot to mention that just before i part exed it it wouldnt rev past 6500rpm at all and the revs were starting to become bumpy throuout the rev range. Its still a sore point and i really hope you find a cheap fix for it mate :thumbsup:

Found a little engine breakdown for the 2ZZGE in a Celica guide, be the same - 2ZZGE Maintainence Guide(pg 46). Page 51 details removing both oil control valves.

Looks like there are 2 Oil Control Valves (OCV's), the left hand one being the VVT oil control, the right hand being the VVTL (lift) oil control.

Worth checking lift bolts too eh, unusual operation after all. :thumbsup:

I control OCV valve with 12V work great and no ecu errors, so all is good (OCV and oil presure sensor) , changed lifts bolts, cleaning the OCV filter, changed MAF sensor, changed pump and gazoline filter, spark plug, but nothing.

My problem is hesitations between 7200 - 8300 in full load (7700 in 2th, 7500 in 3th, 7200 in 4th ...)

Exactly same has this: http://www.celicahobby.com/tech/tsb2/TSB_liftbolts.pdf but my lifts bolts is good !

My celica have only 65000Km and it's a 2003 year model with face lift

any solutions ?

Thanks

I control OCV valve with 12V work great and no ecu errors, so all is good (OCV and oil presure sensor) , changed lifts bolts, cleaning the OCV filter, changed MAF sensor, changed pump and gazoline filter, spark plug, but nothing.

My problem is hesitations between 7200 - 8300 in full load (7700 in 2th, 7500 in 3th, 7200 in 4th ...)

Exactly same has this: http://www.celicahobby.com/tech/tsb2/TSB_liftbolts.pdf but my lifts bolts is good !

My celica have only 65000Km and it's a 2003 year model with face lift

any solutions ?

Thanks

How about the coil packs, do they throw back errors if one is faulty?

No 0 error, this is the problem, I have no ECU error code ! If a coil is faulty, I have an ECU error ? Do you think it would be better if I change my coil ?

Thanks

No 0 error, this is the problem, I have no ECU error code ! If a coil is faulty, I have an ECU error ? Do you think it would be better if I change my coil ?

Thanks

I did some reading, i think they do throw back errors - but hesitation under load can be caused by a faulty coil pack. Looks like you have elimated almost everything else except some kind of internal engine problem. Perhaps best to get them checked by Toyota in this instance. You have 4 coil packs, thats the problem with the diagnosing and they aint cheap so dont go buying any before you have them checked - cost you a fortune.

I also changed the 12V Battery.

When I stop load in accelerating at 8000 and I maintain this rpm, no problem appears, so I do not think it's coil pack problem, isn't it ?

Perhaps oil pressure not strong enough ?

I must find the coils pack in order to try