Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Very Very Large Repair Bill

dailey87

Well i have finally found out what has gone wrong with my car.

Worn cams and then a rocker let go and part of it fell into the head and cut clean through a valve.

Now i have a list of parts that need renewing and basically it needs a FULL head rebuild all in at £1340 (£1600 if i get a new timing chain kit put on too) :o

My question is what would be better, have my engine that (other than what has gone wrong) i know to be sound repaired or get a recon'd engine fitted all in at £2000? Please bare in mind that i don't really have £2k :(

Any advice would be a big help!

Thanks

Ouch!

The risk with a re-con engine is you don't know it's history...

I'd be tempted to have a look at a 3SGTE though... ;)

That is my issue too.

If it costs this much to rebuild a head then what corners are they cutting to do an engine so cheap?

Don't tempt me with the 3s-GTE, i've already concidered it but apparently it's very hard to make it run in a CTS (and i've already been quoted £4-5k all in so it's a little too much shall we say ;))

Chances are rebuilding the head will bump up the labour charge so that the final cost is near the same as having a complete engine installed....

As for the 3SGTE.... did you ask Fensport? :lol:

Depends on the mileage of your engine as to weather there is any wear to the bottom end (crank,bearings,pistons and bores).

Did it drop the broken valve into the cylinder bore ?? If so, i would expect to see some damage to the piston crown and the bore itself - that might swing

your decision to which route you go down.

You can pick up some low mileage engines from various breakers ( providing you can see the speedo reading from the car it came out of ) for probably

the same amount for your top end rebuild - but you will still have the labour for fitting the replacement engine.

Either way - not a good time for a big bill like that :(

Mick

Depends on the mileage of your engine as to weather there is any wear to the bottom end (crank,bearings,pistons and bores).

Did it drop the broken valve into the cylinder bore ?? If so, i would expect to see some damage to the piston crown and the bore itself - that might swing

your decision to which route you go down.

You can pick up some low mileage engines from various breakers ( providing you can see the speedo reading from the car it came out of ) for probably

the same amount for your top end rebuild - but you will still have the labour for fitting the replacement engine.

Either way - not a good time for a big bill like that :(

Mick

Piston and bore are fine LUCKILY.

I do have a question for you directly though. Is it worth changing the timing chain, tensioner and guides while they are out (£280) or just put the old ones back on or with any mixture of new and old bits?

Ouch, really unlucky. I was over at Toyota to pick up my lift bolts today and I spoke to the mechanics there and they said they have only had 2-3 T sports in for engine re-builds so it must be pretty rare that they go wrong.

That seems pricey indeed, did you try eBay uk? found this apparently brand new 2ZZGE for £1267, - Ebay - 2zzge

That will obviously include timing chain as well, they will then just have to drop it in and migrate the alternator belt, flywheel etc. I wouldnt really want toyota putting it in though as they will charge twice the price.

I suppose if you did want to use your old timing belt with your re-built engine, I dont think it would pose much of a problem - but it depends on your milage as they last a very long time.

Ouch, really unlucky. I was over at Toyota to pick up my lift bolts today and I spoke to the mechanics there and they said they have only had 2-3 T sports in for engine re-builds so it must be pretty rare that they go wrong.

That seems pricey indeed, did you try ebay uk? found this apparently brand new 2ZZGE for £1267, - Ebay - 2zzge

That will obviously include timing chain as well, they will then just have to drop it in and migrate the alternator belt, flywheel etc. I wouldnt really want toyota putting it in though as they will charge twice the price.

I suppose if you did want to use your old timing belt with your re-built engine, I dont think it would pose much of a problem - but it depends on your milage as they last a very long time.

My engine is on 65k or there abouts.

I've seen that engine on eBay but it worries me. If it costs this amount to rebuild the head then how are they rebuilding a full engine, selling it for £1267 and still turning a profit. Yes it has a warrenty but it may only last 12months and 1 day and it's a jump into the unknown. Another thing is just how willing they or the warrenty co will be to pay out should the engine implode?

At least i will know what has been done to my car, i'll know its been rebuilt by a pro with no corners being cut so i think i'm going to go for the rebuild on mine tbh.

I do have a question for you directly though. Is it worth changing the timing chain, tensioner and guides while they are out (£280) or just put the old ones back on or with any mixture of new and old bits?

Whoever is rebuilding the top end should measure the stretch on the timing chain to see if its serviceable,like wise with the tensioner slipper and vibration guide.

Mick

Whoever is rebuilding the top end should measure the stretch on the timing chain to see if its serviceable,like wise with the tensioner slipper and vibration guide.

Mick

if it were me id rebuild my own engine least you would know wats wat? who does your work?

if it were me id rebuild my own engine least you would know wats wat? who does your work?

Not really an option, as much as i would love to.

I don't have the tools, skills, knowledge, time to do it or time to learn how to. I'm a student Dr with exams coming up, i need my car to get to hospitals and my mrs is due to give birth to my first child in 2months time, so it really isn't somthing i can do right now.

All the work is being done by YVS just outside leeds. The best garage i have ever delt with!

http://yvsperformance.com/

what is the total price inc labour to fix the head. If it totals over 3k......i would seriously sell the CTS off in bits and buy another as you can buy a facelift nowadays for 5k. a pre facelift for around 3-4k.

Its the hassle and worry of if the company has worked with these engines. I understand they may have good knowledge on engine building but it is alot of money and it seems you are a honest guy who is in need of your vehicle. I would save these trips and the money and look for a different car if the costs mount up. If you can get it all done withing 2500. Go for it, you can source most of the parts yourself which is a plus point. i wish you luck however in the process keep us all updated if you need any help just ask!

what is the total price inc labour to fix the head. If it totals over 3k......i would seriously sell the CTS off in bits and buy another as you can buy a facelift nowadays for 5k. a pre facelift for around 3-4k.

Its the hassle and worry of if the company has worked with these engines. I understand they may have good knowledge on engine building but it is alot of money and it seems you are a honest guy who is in need of your vehicle. I would save these trips and the money and look for a different car if the costs mount up. If you can get it all done withing 2500. Go for it, you can source most of the parts yourself which is a plus point. i wish you luck however in the process keep us all updated if you need any help just ask!

Total price is £1632 inc labour and VAT using new parts which is a very good price imho! Its still alot of money but i think it is the best option and then i know it's sound.

I'd thought about stripping it but its far too much work tbh and it would be a shame since the car is perfect other than the head.

Anyway it will be all done by saturday afternoon/monday morning and i can't wait to get it back!!

Total price is £1632 inc labour and VAT using new parts which is a very good price imho! Its still alot of money but i think it is the best option and then i know it's sound.

I'd thought about stripping it but its far too much work tbh and it would be a shame since the car is perfect other than the head.

Anyway it will be all done by saturday afternoon/monday morning and i can't wait to get it back!!

I really hope that all goes well mate, and you get to enjoy lift again soon!!! :yahoo:

Sounds like good Yorkshire value to me :thumbsup:

yeh , whats caused the problem in the first place ? just worn aint the answer, maybe worn because lack of oil ?

how has your oil been before the car died ? correct oil used and checked weekly ?

yeh , whats caused the problem in the first place ? just worn aint the answer, maybe worn because lack of oil ?

how has your oil been before the car died ? correct oil used and checked weekly ?

I had owned the car for about a month before it started to show issues so i'm not really sure. It was definitely an oil based issue though.

I checked the oil weekly and used 5w-30 synth to top up but god knows what the previous owner did with it! Low oil, the wrong grade or a blocked/missaligned oil spray bar could all be to blame for the premature wear.

From now on i won't go longer than 5000 miles between oil changes and i'll be checking the condition of the cams and the patency of the spray bar just as often!

Just thought I'd make you feel better, Toyota rang me up today and quoted me £2683 for a new gearbox and shaft and some other bits...

... Im gutted thats my deposit for a CTS gone in a oner :crybaby:

Just thought I'd make you feel better, Toyota rang me up today and quoted me £2683 for a new gearbox and shaft and some other bits...

... Im gutted thats my deposit for a CTS gone in a oner :crybaby:

OUCH sorry to hear that mate!

merry xmas to us both ey!

great news this will help many others in finding why lift stopped working. Very happy for you dude! Now treat her like a new car and give her alot of tlc!

Fantastic news mate!! I hope you get many many more years of enjoyment without any problems now! I think that we can all agree now that you have had your fair share. :yes:

:)

I know mate tell me bout it! Thats great to hear you have her back on the road, just be careful with this weather... Hopefully I will be getting my CTS or CTR next week going to take a look at the on Monday :)

Hi dailey87, did you see the topic about my broken rocker. Only problem is I can't find the piece of metal. It definetly isn't in the cylinder though, just gotta wait for parts now and try get some time to fix it. Did you run the car in for a bit before testing the lift?

post-63488-1261327805_thumb.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links