Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help With My Aygo Mpg

viper262

i am currently getting around 30mpg for town driving as I mostly do 30mph everywhere in 4th and don't go near motorways or dual carriage ways hardly, more stop start traffic and short journeys and fill up £33 every 2 months or so i would like tips on how i can get better mpg out of my Aygo and if you need to know my driving style i will be happy to share with you if you can help me i will be very grateful.

..... and fill up £33 every 2 months or so i would like tips on how i can get better mpg out of my Aygo

I'd be more than happy if I could make £33 of fuel last 2 months, I spend that every 2½ days commuting 100 miles daily plus school runs etc!

I would assume all your journeys are very short so the car is always cold so never has a chance to run at peak efficiency.

Not using a/c heater etc will help as will pulling away from stop as gently as possible and then driving as if you have no brakes...I.E. anticipate what is going on well ahead so that you keep moving without stopping if possible. Use 5th gear when possible.

Your biggest expense is depreciation rather than fuel if the car is not being used much, you do have one of the lowest depreciating cars so other than running a worthless banger (as I do) there is not much you could do to reduce costs other than sell the car and cycle or use the bus! :)

I get some bad figures for my Aygo as well as you can see from my Fuelly. My problem is I don't drive it enough to try and work out what I'm doing wrong, 3.3k miles in 14 months. Looks like I'm going to be back in the car for the next couple of weeks so might get a chance to work it out.

You say you're doing 30MPG, but your Fuelly-signature shows 40.1MPG...

If you really only need £33 of fuel every 8 weeks or so I don't think your mileage will increase that much...

Don't know prices in the UK, but for £33 I get about 28 liters (6 gallons) of fuel in The Netherlands.

So in 8 weeks you're doing 240mi (at 40MPG), which is about 4mi a day if you drive it every single day.

Andrewp pointed it out too: the engine probebly never gets up to temperature, which is bad for economy...

And your car has probably done less than 100mi too; my car took over 5000mi to "loosen up" properly...

With everything said (short journeys, cold engine etc.) I think 30MPG is far too low for the Aygo. Mine returns a consistent 45MPG for mainly school runs and the like, but admittedly it does reach operating temperature in the journey.

In terms of miles we get circa 320M, fill up is around 32L so MPG is 44.

(Ours is an MMT) ...

BTW is yours a petrol or diesel?

30mpg sounds way off mark. Ours does about 4 miles a day in two 2 mile trips, barely warms through but we still get 45mpg. Are you sitting going nowhere for long periods of the journey?

Round town I can get 30mpg from a 2.2d X type estate with an auto box.

The Diesel Aygo is the only way to go if you're in the city. Drive any way you like and never get less than 60mpg. It pulls hard from low revs. Fill up 3 times a year !

Or..... get a scooter- skip the traffic, get close to 100mpg & park a lot easier

The Diesel Aygo is the only way to go if you're in the city. Drive any way you like and never get less than 60mpg.

Mate I respect your posts and will happily bow to your greater knowledge and experience of Aygo'ing. But on this one, I'm sorry, I can't agree with you.

A diesel will take longer to reach optimal running temperature - and if the Aygo comes fitted with a DPF - then you're only stocking up problems in the future by not only committing to short journeys but also clogging the DPF. Diesels are greatly improved, I have a BMW so I know how good modern diesels are, but they are what they are: diesels. And have characteristics that haven't changed. They need a good long run and open road to stretch themselves and you only get the benefits of economy when they reach optimum temperatures.

Thats before you consider the issues around EGR valves, breather hoses, frequent oil changes, turbo life and injectors.

No thank you, I'll stick with petrol Aygo for City only driving.

30mpg sounds way off mark. Ours does about 4 miles a day in two 2 mile trips, barely warms through but we still get 45mpg. Are you sitting going nowhere for long periods of the journey?

Round town I can get 30mpg from a 2.2d X type estate with an auto box.

Completely agree with eveyrthing you have said in terms of Aygo MPG and that of the diesel.

Our Aygo gives nearly identical MPG and our other car, BMW E90 330d M Sport (auto), will again do 30MPG in town only.

Hello Mate

I too have the same problem with my Blue Toyota Aygo which I got on 09/09/09 and made about 1700 untill now. As per my caliculation I got 308 miles for a tank full of petrol which is 35 litres. Can I quote that (UK) gallon is 4.54609 L (exactly) and USA gallon is 1 gallon [uS, liquid] = 3.785.

So 308 miles / 35 litres petrol =8.8 miles/one litre pertol and 8.8 * UK 4.54609=40.00 miles/ gallon.

I got my car checked (Electical Performance meter reading checked ) by my Toyota tech staff and was confirmed that it is in good in condition.

I am not at all satisfied with this car because my Insurance was reduced down to only £70.00 when compared to my old scrapped car, Economy is not 55 mpg -72 mpg as advertised by Toyota. On top of it I compromised on other factors like less space, power windows etc.

I think you are definitely caliculating the milage using the USA scale hence you are getting 33 mpg. I too did the same mistake at first but my tech staff explained the situation to me. Please investigate again and let me know the result. Thanks,Shaz

I'm also mainly doing short journey traffic and my gasoline usage is also a bit to high for my taste. You might try this:

- replacing the tyres with the Michelin Energy tyres that are used on the Citroen C1. They are supposed to save 0.1 - 0.2 liters per 100 kilometer, but they don't have that good grip of the Continental Eco Contact that is used on the Aygo and the Peugeot 107. As the saving is very little and the car might become unstable on slippery road, I haven't done this

- use better fuel. My gas usage was insane for such a little car with super gasoline (7.5 liter per 100 kilometer), so I switched to 100 Octane gasoline (Shell V-Power 100) and now I'm at around 6.2 liters per 100 kilometer. Yes it's more expensive (currently €1.50 instead of €1.33 for super gasoline) but because I can drive a longer distance with it, I'll save a little money.

- replace the motor oil with 0W-30 oil. 0W-30 is ideal for short distance drives, as it get's it working temperature very quick and therefore it should save fuel. I will replace my oil with 0W-30 in the new year and see if it realy helps. It will cost me about €60, but maybe it's worth it.

Just did a refill at 328 miles and managed to get just under 29 litres in. Works out at just over 51 mpg doing mostly long runs cruising 75-80 and some urban. Only running in at mo and only covered 800 miles. Hopefully mpg will improve after acouple of thou miles.

Steve

Well i get around 319 from really ful to the beep dont know how good that is but ive only had it 3months the wifes pretty much the same with the mmt.

I average about 55mpg in my '09 MMT doing 300+ miles a week, 30mile drives twice a day. Have a bit of a heavy foot as well, but recently the economy has dropped on the longer drives down to about 40mpg (I haven't updated fuelly in a long time), it is due it's 10k service in 1500miles or so, so I am hoping that this will help things out a bit.

On a side note, I find the grip on the fitted Continental Eco's not that good, looking to fit some Goodyears next as only had good experience with them.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links