Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2007 D4-d Cold Start Problem

drrock

Hi,

My 2007 2.0 D4-D has an odd problem on cold mornings. When starting engine turns over and fires but then revs die and engine stops in about 1/2 second. I give plugs time to get warm and usually after 3-4 attempts it starts, a cloud of smoke puffs out and then all is well for rest of the day.

Warm starting is fine.

Almost reminds me of starting an old petrol car with no choke.

Anyone any ideas of things to try or what it might be before I take it in to Mr T?

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi,

My 2007 2.0 D4-D has an odd problem on cold mornings. When starting engine turns over and fires but then revs die and engine stops in about 1/2 second. I give plugs time to get warm and usually after 3-4 attempts it starts, a cloud of smoke puffs out and then all is well for rest of the day.

Warm starting is fine.

Anyone any ideas of things to try or what it might be before I take it in to Mr T?

Cheers,

Lee.

Sounds like a glow-plug problem. You might have one or more faulty.

Fitter.

As fitter says it well could be down to duff glow-plugs which can be tested in situ., If you have access to a multi-meter each glow-plug should read 0.6 ohms resistance. A fairly good way of testing glow-plugs without hab=ving to remove them. If you are up to replacing them yourself there is are a couple of good video clips on Youtube showing you how - just type "replacing glow-plugs" into the search facility on Youtube and a number of such should come up. Although mybe not your exact engine but the principle is the same.:)

See link below for video demo

http://www.mcc-marketing.co.uk/glow/glowplugs.html

Where do I measure resistance on glow plugs?

Still under warranty with Mr T, assume they'll swap glow plugs with 54k miles on the clock?

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi,

Warm starting is fine.

Cheers,

Lee.

Sounds like a glow-plug problem. You might have one or more faulty.

Fitter.

+1

besides -- have glow plugs contacts inspected on possible traces of rust; oil etc where an electrical sygnal might be gone.

besides -- have the fuel filter diesel drained thru special plug just to evaluate whether water is awailable or not.

Cheers/Igor

Thanks Igor, taking it in tomorrow. Car runs really well apart from when start on cold mornings, will see what they say.

Cheers,

Lee.

Thanks Igor, taking it in tomorrow. Car runs really well apart from when start on cold mornings, will see what they say.

Cheers,

Lee.

naturally - you have two options -- glow plugs fault (even one) or poor contact/primer voltage

cheers

Car had a night in the dealer compound last night, was -4C when the came to start it today and problem showed itself properly to them.

They checked and changed glow plugs without success. Next suspect was EGR valve which has been decarbonised but is still sticking. Going for a new one of those on Tuesday but that's what they thing problem is.

Anyone else had similar symptoms with that problem? Is it a common fault?

Cheers,

Lee.

Car had a night in the dealer compound last night, was -4C when the came to start it today and problem showed itself properly to them.

They checked and changed glow plugs without success. Next suspect was EGR valve which has been decarbonised but is still sticking. Going for a new one of those on Tuesday but that's what they thing problem is.

Anyone else had similar symptoms with that problem? Is it a common fault?

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi lee, have read your post with interest as my 07 d4d has been doing the exact same thing over the past week! Im having enough problems with my rav4 t180 so dont want to start messin with my avensis and hoping its not doing too much damage everytime I try startin it! Please keep us updated as to what sorts it so im going in with my eyes open! Good luck mate

Where do I measure resistance on glow plugs?

Still under warranty with Mr T, assume they'll swap glow plugs with 54k miles on the clock?

Cheers,

Lee.

To test the glow-plugs you need a multimeter - set it to to read ohms. Disconnect the wiring cable on each glow-plug. Connect one lead of the meter to earth and the other to the terminal end of the plug and ideally it should read 0.6 ohms:)

Hi,

Warm starting is fine.

Cheers,

Lee.

hi

have exactly the same problem with mine as well.if i tap the accelerator slow to respond for 5 seconds ...mine is a 2009 35k old model d4d 2.0..reminded me of having no choke on in the old days ....find if i turn on the heater the revs come back up and ok then.. temp here this morning -5, any ideas,sticky throttle maybe?

Mycar has just been inti MrT for exactly the same problem they are convinced if the Battery is not tip top it will display the poor starting condition. I have already had to replace the Battery on mine :angry: (2.2 D4D Avensis) no problems until the Battery is around 9 months old.!! This car seems to eat batteries, have your battery checked out before any more expensive parts are suggested.

Sorry can't help but would like to throw more gasoline on the fire. My Avensis 2.2 d-4d -07 show the same behavior almost every cold start as soon it's below +10 deg C. It helps if I lightly rest foot on gas pedal when starting -> revs jumping up and down and rear smoking like a wreck for 30 seconds. Problem been there since it was 8 months old. No difference if I use oil heater/battery charger or not. Toyota service have not found any fault. They have changed fuel filters, reapplied ECU software and provided me with Toyotas diesel fuel additive. Let's see maybe they find something this next service when all warranties have ended. Will try something other than Toyota for my next car.

Pleased to report that replacement EGR valve seems to have resolved the issues.

Last week car had been parked in field half way up a mountain in Cumbria for a whole week, temp was -6C when I went for it and it started first turn no problems.

Lee.

Pleased to report that replacement EGR valve seems to have resolved the issues.

Last week car had been parked in field half way up a mountain in Cumbria for a whole week, temp was -6C when I went for it and it started first turn no problems.

Lee.

enjoy drive then

Cheers/Igor

:thumbsup:

May have spoke to soon, car running well but A/C not working consistently since they did it. Wonder if they loosened a wire or something while they were down there.

When A/C is switched on it cuts in and out all the time and keeps misting car up.

Cheers,

Lee.

May have spoke to soon, car running well but A/C not working consistently since they did it. Wonder if they loosened a wire or something while they were down there.

When A/C is switched on it cuts in and out all the time and keeps misting car up.

Cheers,

Lee.

yes it looks like gas leak or throttle valve faut.

Cheers/Igor

Hi,

Warm starting is fine.

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Lee

Have a quick read of this then go to a post T3x 2.2 D4d 55 Plate, Engine Noise & Blue Smoke Help

1.jpg

PM me if you have any questions...

Carl

Hi,

Warm starting is fine.

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Lee

Have a quick read of this then go to a post T3x 2.2 D4d 55 Plate, Engine Noise & Blue Smoke Help

1.jpg

PM me if you have any questions...

Carl

Hi Lee

I've been advised to remove the TSB's from public view, just PM me for the info....

Thanks

Carl

Dr Rock,

This probably isn't relevant to your problems but last winter 2008 my 55 D4D was having some starting problems; when the air temp was around zero degrees would start on the 3rd or 4th attempt. My dealer said that the problem was in the exhaust and he would have to upload some software to clear the fault. He did this in due course free of charge and since then it has been perfect.

Grape

Hi all, a wee update for you all on the cold starting problem, as in my previous post, I was having the same problems that in cold temp, the car would not start untill 4th or 5th attempt!

I followed the suggestions posted here so let me tell you how Ive got on

Removed all 4 glow plugs and following suggestions on here checked all 4 for their ohms readings. All 4 showed between 0.6 and 0.7 ohms which I am assuming is perfectly acceptable.

I next checked all 4 using a seperate Battery and all 4 glowed bright red so that indicated to me that none had burned out!!

I refitted the original glow plugs and this time to check if they were all receiving power, I connected a light unit to each injector so when I turned the ignition, my theory was, the light should illuminate indicating power!! All 4 plugs checked and at all times the light illuminated. What I did notice was that when the ignition turned, the light stayed illuminated for approx. 12 - 16 seconds after the glow plug dash board light went off!!

I also cleaned the Battery terminals just to make sure!!

Taking all this information on board, for the past 2 days at increasingly low temps, I have not attempted to turn the engine untill approx 10 seconds after the dash light goes off, and, for the past 2 mornings the car has started first time!!

I dont know what part of the above has seemingly solved the problem but fingers crossed it has been solved!

i will post again in a couple of days to let you all know how things are and if any of you want to try waiting 10-15 seconds after the glow plug indicator has went out on the dash before trying to fire the engine and getting positive results then please let us know how you get on!!

I now have a problem with my clutch which I will check through previous posts to see if there is any similar probs before setting a new thread

Regards

Markie

Guys i have the exact same problem on my car and needs the accelerator pressing a bit to the revs just about idling then its aright. First start revs go up to 1 then die back to 0. Cars done 75,300 miles. Wanted to check the glow plugs but can anyone give any idea on where they are?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links