Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying A 2nd Hand Car In Uk

Naillik

Hi guys !

I am actually thinking of buying a Corolla GTI or AE86 from UK. Except I don't know the regulation in UK, as in what u need to be able to buy a 2nd car.

I know about the MOT and the TAX, but the car won't stay on UK land.

So my main question is : Can you buy a car and just drive a way with it (and having still the plates on) ?

I tried to find info on the net, but I am not sure of all I found.

Thanks for your helps

To be driven on the uk road the car must be insured, taxed and have an up to date MOT. The driver must also have a valid licence.

Make sure you have a full licence (not a provisional) and always have it with you when driving the car in UK. You can drive it across the UK on its UK plates to your point of exit but if it is not taxed the police have the right to impound the car, it happened to a friend of mine :unsure: Although how you are supposed to tax a UK registered car without a UK address is beyond me :eek:

Car dealerships can get a refund on the road tax, so some cars on forecourts may have no road tax (I think this is being changed though??).

The car should have a valid MOT.

Make sure you transfer the insurance over before you buy it and get a valid V5 document with the car!

Enjoy the drive back and watch out for speed cameras! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your answers !

If u want here on the main land GTI are so rare and expensive that I want to buy one in UK and bring it back home.

I just was wondering, if you are able to buy the car and bring it back on the main land with out needing to have an UK address or to do an insurance as the car will be only used here for racing.

If u want here on the main land GTI are so rare and expensive that I want to buy one in UK and bring it back home.

I just was wondering, if you are able to buy the car and bring it back on the main land with out needing to have an UK address or to do an insurance as the car will be only used here for racing.

on the log books it has a section for EXPORT make sure you fill that part in and send it off to DVLA.

you can still buy a car and take it with you,

on the log books it has a section for EXPORT make sure you fill that part in and send it off to DVLA.

In Ireland, the Irish customs insist that you give them the full log book and they send the export section of it to the DVLA. You must have the log book in order to pay the ripoff import duty (Vehicle Registration Tax) in Ireland :crybaby:

You still need to have the car insured when in the UK regardless of what you are doing with it when you get home!

In Ireland, the Irish customs insist that you give them the full log book and they send the export section of it to the DVLA. You must have the log book in order to pay the ripoff import duty (Vehicle Registration Tax) in Ireland :crybaby:

You still need to have the car insured when in the UK regardless of what you are doing with it when you get home!

I bought mine in the UK on e-bay. I told my Insurance Co. that I was driving [reg. No.etc] to the ferry. I drove off, no problems & then contacted the DVLA. they put THEIR value on it & taxed me accordingly :censor:

In short, I was treated as a Uk driver/owner driving a UK reg car into the Country