Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Troubes

glen_neilson

having not long got the car (1990 turbo) back ive had some major engine troubles already.

when the car was in getting sprayed the big end shells were done,so i was taking it easy for a while,the car seemed to boost fine.

i noticed an oil leak after a few weeks and a lot of oil spray from the dump valve (blizz one)

i also noticed the pipes for the boost controller sensor were disconected.

a few days later while on the duel carrage way i heard a pop then loads of smoke from the boot lid.

once the car was in the garage we realised that there had been a blockage in the oil feed pipe to the turbo,the oil cap was blown off and the sump gasket was destroyed.

after fixing the problems,and reconecting the boost controller pipes i took the car out tonight,it doesnt seem to boost,well nothing like it used to, then on higher revs there was a cloud of smoke from the boot lid again,i think its from the dump valve. on normal driving everything seems fine.

im now stuck for ideas.

could the dump valve be damaged? jammed open? (doesnt seem to be any boost leak tho)

turbo damaged?

also where can i get the standard toyota recirculating valve? as ive heard a vent to atmosphere one is a bad idea

cheers

it doesnt sound good TBH.

could be one of 2 things.

turbo is shot, possibly a snapped shaft or damaged blades, or worse damaged pistons caused by detonation.

remover the inlet pipe from the turbo (air filter one) and with the engine off grab the end of the compressor shaft in the turbo. try pulling it in and out and up and down. there should be little or no movement certainly no in out movement at all. if there is then turbo is most likley cause.

if the turbo seems OK then have a compression and leak down test carried out. based on the findings of that will tell you if the engine itself is damaged.

do you have a boost gauge? if so what boost are you getting?

i dont have a boost gague,just a boost controller. i will try and get a look at the turbo as soon as i can,im just confused,as the car seemed to boost fine before the solonoid for the boost controller was connected. i dont have a clue what damage was caused when the oil pressure built up but im guessing its been a bit worse than i thought. if it has been detonation then i think ill be breaking the car, i was thinking about buying a knackered engine and rebuilding it with my mate, its got to the stage that i dont know if i should be spending anymore on the car though. its a shame since its just been painted,full new brakes,wheels refurbed etc etc

just out of interest,anyone on here had a forged engine built? and prices.

cheers guys

What it needs is a full tear down, diagnostic and rebuild.

no news ok kitt in afraid,or my celica either :(

when you say rebuild,are we talking full engine? if so can any1 recomend what to buy? and how far do i go. if im going to be spending a bit of money id like to build somthing with a bit of power. my mate can do the rebuild so i just need to source the parts.

any1 on here rebuilt their engine?

no news ok kitt in afraid,or my celica either :(

when you say rebuild,are we talking full engine? if so can any1 recomend what to buy? and how far do i go. if im going to be spending a bit of money id like to build somthing with a bit of power. my mate can do the rebuild so i just need to source the parts.

any1 on here rebuilt their engine?

First you'll need to take the whole thing apart and inspect everything mercilessly, such as valve clearances, bearing gaps, piston-to-cylinder clearances and everything like that. Tally everything up, and write down exactly what needs replacing so you can order the right parts. You will have to make sure that no bolt is left unturned and you have noted every possible internal engine problem. Then you can start the actual rebuild...... :(

Not the best of situations that you're in..... :o

Someone correct me if I am wrong!

the thing im confused about is how the car runs and sounds fine,but just doesnt seem to want to boost correctly,and obv the oil from the dumpvalve under boost. i dont really fancy doing a rebuild,id rather buy a new engine i think. ive been looking for a new engine online, can any1 point me in the right direction incase i need to go down that line.

for a rebuild you can save cash by doing the assembly and cleaning work yourself, there are a lot of people on here that can help. i personaly have rebuilt 30 or 40 3S-GTE's

you will need

forged pistons (best to go for these as then you are upgrading. they are the weak link in the 3S) £300-500

full bearing set. think my last set was about £70

oil pump £80

full gasket set £130

block rebore (£50 ish)

head clean £30 (you can re seat the valves your self. )

ARP head bolt set £100

metal Headgasket think the last one of these i bought was about £90 but not 100%

this will build an engine that will handle upto about 380-400 bhp

all those prices are guides you can find the parts cheaper by shopping about (fawbs has some good links for parts)

the thing im confused about is how the car runs and sounds fine,but just doesnt seem to want to boost correctly,and obv the oil from the dumpvalve under boost. i dont really fancy doing a rebuild,id rather buy a new engine i think. ive been looking for a new engine online, can any1 point me in the right direction incase i need to go down that line.

Oil coming from the dump vlave is a classic sign of worn turbo seals - probably on it way to turbo heaven.:)

for a rebuild you can save cash by doing the assembly and cleaning work yourself, there are a lot of people on here that can help. i personaly have rebuilt 30 or 40 3S-GTE's

you will need

forged pistons (best to go for these as then you are upgrading. they are the weak link in the 3S) £300-500

oil pump £80

full gasket set £130

block rebore (£50 ish)

ARP head bolt set £100

metal Headgasket think the last one of these i bought was about £90 but not 100%

all those prices are guides you can find the parts cheaper by shopping about (fawbs has some good links for parts)

if im wanting to run bigger power will i need to upgrade my turbo?

if i go down this route i want to get a decent power rise for my money.

im not really sure on what id need to buy so i appreciate your help. im just starting to look for the bits just now. im going to get all the parts over the next few months,then when i get my tax returns in april that will pay a garage to do the rebuild :D

you will need

oil pump £80

full gasket set £130

block rebore (£50 ish)

ARP head bolt set £100

if im wanting to run bigger power will i need to upgrade my turbo?

if i go down this route i want to get a decent power rise for my money.

im not really sure on what id need to buy so i appreciate your help. im just starting to look for the bits just now. im going to get all the parts over the next few months,then when i get my tax returns in april that will pay a garage to do the rebuild :D

I'd speak to Marc or Dennis at the garage in Motherwell - they'll check your car for nought and tell you whats wrong I'm sure.

For more power, its following what Dawesey says...and you'll need a bigger turbo and ecu change - a visit to the garage will allow you to see what others have done...... Marc himself used to have an MR2 running 670bhp altho I was told the engine had trouble keeping within the chassis :lol: Theres normally a handful of oversized MR2s in for rebuild or repair. Sources of parts are generally down south and I can look out where I've bought stuff from if you like...sometimes its a job of phoning tuners to see if they anyone who has a 'spare' lying on the shelf unwanted.