Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Snow+bank+iq = Static

justin7

now before everybody starts slating my driving, i am a firm believer that the iq doesnt have enough torque to get up a hill of snow i.e just using the clutch to move otherwise its just gonna spin. in normal weather it struggles without any revs, just wondering if any other people had a problem the past few days?

It won't spin because of the traction control and it takes every (normal) hill no problem......try winter tyres for a start.

Hi all,

No problems for me in Northampton so far! & having fun watching bigger cars struggle :P.

people just don't know how to drive in a little snow & ice.....

I don't understand how the traction control works, I was spinning like mad trying to get off the drive today, do I have to turn it on, on the iq? I have an iQ3. It's proberbly my driving though isn't it...?

The traction control is on as standard - you should see a flashing amber symbol on the dash when it kicks in

don't over accelerate, just tickle the accelerator - always keep in a low gear (altho like OP said poor torque) especially when going down or up hill.

keep your speed low and keep plenty of distance - if someone is being an idiot behind you just ignore them - don't feel pressured to speed up

never brake too hard, try to use gears in assisting the car to slow down, you may feel the ABS kick in on ice - quite scary the first time - just don't panic.

biggest advice is, if you don't have to go out in it - don't!

I went out in mine yesterday and it was fine, just drove slow, had to go out of a junction that goes uphill (so was turning and going uphill on ungritted road!) and it tried to spin but traction control kicked in, was really impressed by my little baby!!

I've been out in it again today and the roads were much worse than yesterday, but the traction control was kicking in and it coped really well. Much better than a big bmw thing that was spinning all over the place!!

I don't understand how the traction control works, I was spinning like mad trying to get off the drive today, do I have to turn it on, on the iq? I have an iQ3. It's proberbly my driving though isn't it...?

You might find that TC doesn't work at very low speeds. If it cut the fuel flow at zero mph the engine would stall.

Paul.

You might find that TC doesn't work at very low speeds. If it cut the fuel flow at zero mph the engine would stall.

Paul.

Thanks, that's proberbly why it wasn't kicking in on the first snow day as I was going very slowly and carefully, wasn't sure how the iQ would handle after only owning it a couple of days!

thin tyres, light weight, low power makes the iq a winner in this weather

plus the traction control is realy good

try turning it off in a safe place ie an empty car park

you get a good idea how well it works

i love this car

It won't spin because of the traction control and it takes every (normal) hill no problem......try winter tyres for a start.

I agree, are there any steel rims I can put on my new IQ with winter tyres, rather than scuff up my new alloys? BTW Vredestein Tyres are the way to go.....

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m11b0s1486p15154

I agree, are there any steel rims I can put on my new IQ with winter tyres, rather than scuff up my new alloys? BTW Vredestein Tyres are the way to go.....

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m11b0s1486p15154

Toyota have a wheel listed as a "winterrim" for the IQ, which is steel and is meant for people in harder(!) climates than the UK to put winter tyres on.

I have one which I use as my spare wheel.

I got it from Kingo, cost about £40 I think (without tyre obviously).

Paul.

Please explain because TC works very well from even a stand still.

Yours is probably broken if it behaves like that.

Please explain because TC works very well from even a stand still.

Traction control cuts the engine power, possibly applying brakes too. I used to have a Corolla T Sport which had traction control and the dealer said it worked by a vacuum pump which cut fuel flow to the engine.

Obviously you can't cut fuel if the engine is near a stall condition. If the wheels are motionless and the clutch is engaged, then the engine must also be motionless. How can it be otherwise?

What you might find is that a small amount of slip is beneficial to maximise traction, and the TC system allows this at low speeds.

Paul.

Mines been fine in hilly derbyshire. Traction control off, first gear and a stamp of the accelerator. Plenty of grip, apart from once on a painted roundabout.

Did you know the IQ makes a beeping noise if it detects your driving like a bit of a tit?

The car should be ok depending on the conditions...

If the road is well gritted any car should go up any hill fine.

If its the other extreem of compacted snow = a sheet of ice, then nothing will get up it without snow chains or similar.

I was driving the other car (ford galaxy) sat night, and had to go down a country lane that was totally iced over. it was a flat road, pulled over to make a phone call...ended call...tried to move off (very gentle) and it just slid sideways...this is a diesel with 320nm of torque...and although it has much wider tyres than an aygo, they've all got a good 6mm+ of tread.

eventually i had to reverse down the road a bit, and try again when i found better traction.

So although the aygo & IQ are relativly good on snow & ice...if its too bad, then it just aint gonna happen.

hi all

just fitted winter tyres on the iq & the missis t sport

they are the nuts what a difference

by the way theres a bloke selling 16" t sport alloys on fleabay for £120 a set

they fit the iq a treat

you can't go wrong at that price they are x toyota stock

he has loads of em