Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol In Diesel

domo149

Ive done it .Looking for ultimate diesel I saw the word ultimate but failed to notice that it was ''ultimate unleaded '' until I had put about 20 litres in.It has now been towed in to have the fuel removed and the system flushed out. Was I too hasty ? Is there any other way round the problem?

Domo

Ive done it .Looking for ultimate diesel I saw the word ultimate but failed to notice that it was ''ultimate unleaded '' until I had put about 20 litres in.It has now been towed in to have the fuel removed and the system flushed out. Was I too hasty ? Is there any other way round the problem?

Domo

Should only need the tank draining if it hasn't been run as all the petrol should still be in the tank.

No, I don't think you were too hasty, I don't think there's any way around it. The only chance would be to dilute it with diesel but you would need to add 400 litres or so to get the concentration low enough but even then, it's not advisable.

If you'd noticed with just 1 litre in you could have filled with diesel and got away with it but 20 is just way too much.

:lol:

Sorry I shouldn't really laugh at this but I just know it's what I'm going to do one day! :D

Just take an extra 10 seconds, if that, to make sure that you picked up the right hose, that's all you can do really and you should never encounter the problem again. :)

I hope it's sorted soon mate, I really do. :)

Thanks for replies,Ive had a look on the net and it would appear that I am not the only one to be caught by the word ULTIMATE.Maybe B P could do something about that.Apart from the misleading word it surprised me to discover how common this mistake is.There are people who have mobile systems just for draining diesel tanks.

Domo

Thanks for replies,Ive had a look on the net and it would appear that I am not the only one to be caught by the word ULTIMATE.

BP call their "premium" fuels (petrol & diesel) Ultimate, Shell call both Vpower ...

personally I don't see that it's misleading :unsure:

Why dont you consider getting one of those little devices available on the net that fits inside your fuel cap and talks to you reminding you to put diesel in rather than petrol ?

I`ve used one for a while now and they are a good little reminder.

Hi tubaman,

Thanks for advice but my confusion was with the pump.I was intent on putting in diesel and the word ultimatecaught my eye hence the problem.

Hi Heidfirst,

I have been using Ultimate Diesel for some time without any problem but a lapse of concentration or over confidence and as soon as I saw the word ULTIMATE that was my downfall.

Domo

Hi Heidfirst,

I have been using Ultimate Diesel for some time without any problem but a lapse of concentration or over confidence and as soon as I saw the word ULTIMATE that was my downfall.

Domo

Hi Kparris-jones,

When it happens to you let me have a laugh.Thanks for your concern .Will keep you up to date .

Domo

Hi domo 149

I've come VERY close to doing what you did, only saved by the fact I was surprised that the pump handle wasnt covered in diesel that made me look twice !

Years ago I seem to remember that adding a small amount of petrol to the diesel was recommended in winter to stop it frezing up - by that theory a little petrol in your tank shouldnt make a lot of difference.

Better luck next time

Cheers

Bazzer

Toyota dealer dropped tank flushed out system changed fuel fillter at the same time replaced water pump as there was a slight leak(under warranty ) checked car over give me report replaced a bulb in the high level brake light measured all the tyre tread depths. This in a work shop I had never been near before all because the breakdown driver took it to a garage (not being familiar with the area) other than the one I had sent him to.So all is well I hope.

If anyone is interested it was Shields in Blantyre..Oh the cost---£240 don't put petrol in your diesel.

Domo

Toyota dealer dropped tank flushed out system changed fuel fillter at the same time replaced water pump as there was a slight leak(under warranty ) checked car over give me report replaced a bulb in the high level brake light measured all the tyre tread depths. This in a work shop I had never been near before all because the breakdown driver took it to a garage (not being familiar with the area) other than the one I had sent him to.So all is well I hope.

If anyone is interested it was Shields in Blantyre..Oh the cost---£240 don't put petrol in your diesel.

Domo

Such an expensive error !, but anyone of us could do the same. Feel for you !!. :(

:lol:

Sorry I shouldn't really laugh at this but I just know it's what I'm going to do one day! :D

Just take an extra 10 seconds, if that, to make sure that you picked up the right hose, that's all you can do really and you should never encounter the problem again. :)

I hope it's sorted soon mate, I really do. :)

Remember this could be you one day !!. As the saying goes, " you can receive yourself, what you once laughed at". :lol:

Investing around a tenner in a "think diesel" reminder unit may be well worth it. When you open the fuel flap a little voice reminds you by saying"Think Diesel"

I think I have seen them on good old fleabay for even less - see link below.

I had one on my last car and it worked a treat.:)

http://www.think-diesel.co.uk/

If your car is still under warranty try and avoid using the dealer for a remedy - some manufacturers won't honour any engine problems if it should occur.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links