Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Braking Power

mason jack

Hi folks, first use of forum. Recently bought tourer 56 model, 48k miles. Noticed that brakes were poor compared with previous car, (Astra, 4yrs old). Brakes have to be pumped to get a good responce, obviously not acceptable in an emergeny. Took car into Toyota dealership, they changed fluid and bled system, said that there was nothing wrong with brakes and that i should not expect same efficiency as a petrol car as the servo unit works differently. Has the service manager conned me?

Brakes have to be pumped to get a good responce, obviously not acceptable in an emergeny.

if you search the forum quite a few people have noticed that:

a) initial response seems poor

b ) it firms up quite a bit after an initial (even minor) application

iirc I don't think that it's unique to the 2.2

Does it still needs to be pumped after it has been bled?

Loom; Yes, bleeding of system has had no affect at all. If pedal is pumped just once it has the desired effect of producing good brakes. Agents said this was down to the fact that the servo unit could not produce enough vacuum. So is the servo defective, or is it just down to poor design and manufacture by Toyota.

This has done the rounds time and again, it is not due to a defective or poor servo but rather a charecteristic of Toyota ABS and EBD combination. VOSA have been informed of the correct method of checking to see if the brake system works properly. This charecteristic is not just on this model but on all models with ABD & EBD

Of course each car must be taken on a case by case basis to make sure there is nothing defective with the brake system, but if no faults are found, then it is just a charecteristic that in no way affects brake performance and for instance, could not be failed on the MOT

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for replies, i will obviously have to accept situation, no doubt i will get used to the toyota brakes as time goes by.

Thanks for replies, i will obviously have to accept situation, no doubt i will get used to the toyota brakes as time goes by.

I felt the same as you when I first drove the Avensis Verso I have but the brakes do work and work well. Each

car manufacturer seems to have a different brake pedal feel and distance. As long as you get everything checked

that is is working as it should then you should be OK. It does seem a but peculiar that the pedal strengthens

the more you pump it. Maybe try it with the engine off .......it should harden after a number of pumps....if it

doesn't then it points to a problem probably with the servo.

My 2007 Avensis 1.8 petrol has the same characteristics. Spongy brake pedal which can be unnerving at times to say the least. I've become accustomed to pressing the pedal twice in quick succession to get a firm feel. Strange that this should be a requirement on what is otherwise a quality car - SWMBO refuses to drive it because of the spongy brakes. Reminds me of a 1991 Polo I had with no servo brakes - scary!

Anyone know what the new Avensis brakes are like?

Hi folks, first use of forum. Recently bought tourer 56 model, 48k miles. Noticed that brakes were poor compared with previous car, (Astra, 4yrs old). Brakes have to be pumped to get a good responce, obviously not acceptable in an emergeny. Took car into Toyota dealership, they changed fluid and bled system, said that there was nothing wrong with brakes and that i should not expect same efficiency as a petrol car as the servo unit works differently. Has the service manager conned me?

hello mate

what is condition of the braking discs surface?

May be the previous owner has changed pads as new but they are still in bedding condition?

Cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links