Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Reliability

atb66

Hi

3rd attempt at trying to post this - don't know what I' doing wrong!

I bought a 56 plate Avensis d4d, 40000 miles, full detailed Toyota service history, no indications of problems, nice clean car. Since I've had it I am now on my 2nd new turbo, new pump and rack to fix a steering vibration issue. Also, engine noisy when cold - I suspect injector noise but dealer says they are in spec. Now I've seen on other forums that these models are prone to head gasket failure usually requiring a new head (£3000?). Warranty runs out in January so I'm now a worried man. Should I ditch this car asap?

I am a retired engineer who worked at a supplier to Toyota for many years, so I know how thorough Toyota engineering is, so I'm amazed at this apparent poor reliability. If anyone has any feedback on these issues I would be very grateful.

Cheers

which d4d?

iirc only the 2.2 has a history of head problems.

turbo, pump & rack problems don't seem to be common.

Seems weird to hear of such a problomatic Toyota.

I have the 2.0 D4D and (touch wood) so far it's as good as gold as were the two petrol Avensis I had before. I guess you have a bit of a lemon and if I were you I would ditch it ASAP. Why not have a 2.0 D4D, I reckon it realy is just about as well appointed as the 2.2 but seems without the problems!

Other people may disagree but the Avensis seems to have had its problems compared to other Toyota's I have owned !!

I think some of the problems are due to poor design of a particular part and some down to the standard of part used by not being to the same standard as other Toyota's !!

It must be taken into account that Toyota have sold a large number of the Avensis

which d4d?

iirc only the 2.2 has a history of head problems.

turbo, pump & rack problems don't seem to be common.

Hi

Thanks for reply. Mine is the 2.0l model so maybe will escape head issues.

Any views on the cold engine noise? From inside the car, this is a kind tapping noise audible around 1200 to 2400 rpm, gradually diminishes as engine warms - sounds like only one cylinder.

Cheers

Any views on the cold engine noise? From inside the car, this is a kind tapping noise audible around 1200 to 2400 rpm, gradually diminishes as engine warms - sounds like only one cylinder.

that's just a modern diesel for you ...

Could be a sticking or leaking injector which frees itself when warm. Ideally the injectors would need a bleed-off test but the engine would need to be started from cold to check this.

Did the garage test the injectors when the engine was warmed??:)