Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Traction Control

Aki

What exactly does TC do? My Avensis has it and also VSC - what is the difference? Does TC just stop the front wheels spinning if I race away at the lights? Does it control/deal with skids? (I thought that was the job of VSC). The handbook suggests turning TC off in the snow (as recently!) but why if it aids traction?? Help!!

Traction Control – helps reduce drive wheel spin during acceleration using ABS and control of engine power output.

Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) – helps prevent skidding or spinning while cornering by controlling ABS and engine power output to help keep the vehicle traveling in the steered direction, even if the driver enters a turn too fast or steers the vehicle too sharply for road conditions.

VSC

If you get stuck in the snow you turn the TC off, this stops the computer taking charge of where the power goes, turning it off will allow you to apply the required power to all drive wheels without any of them stopping when the TC sensor knows you are wheel spinning. Obviously you do this with as little power as possible with good use of the accelerator and clutch.

I got an avansis last April, and has Traction Control. As you say the hand book says to turn it off in the snow.

The traction control seems to get a bit confused when driving in straight lines in snow, and allows the wheels to spin freely, although if you are cornering it works perfectly.

So I found it more benifical at junctions etc, to simply leave it on.

Anyone else notice that the Traction control makes quite a bit of noise when activated ?

Sounds like tin banging - At first I thought it was snow/ice on some part under the car, but turn the Traction control off and the noise goes away too, and you don't hear the noise when traction control not required.

Seems to work fine though.

Also found the car handles well in the snow for a car with that width of wheels.

Everything you need to know... :thumbsup:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

Faultless. It tells and shows you everything you need to know. :lol: Thanks Reece !!.

Thanks all!!

Must say mine isn't noisy (unless I'm going deaf!) but as you say it works well as does the ABS. Very sure footed through this recent arctic spell.

The YouTube video is brill - says it all!!

Ta!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links