Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

G6r - Which Gearbox Oil To Use In 6 Speed Box

crxsud

Hi

Going to change the gearbox oil in my Corolla G6r

Which gearbox oil is best to use, any tips to getting

a good change. can the gearbox be flushed out with

a flushing oil or is it just a case of replacement.

Anyone used any upgraded/better oil with noticable differences in

gear selection

Has anyone here any experience with replcaing any of the bushes

ie are they prone to wear, as the 6 speed box is not as smooth as previous 5 speed

boxes in older Corollas.

All help appreciated

Thanks

Mike

I used Comma 75w90 in my tsport and it made a big difference, even the missus noticed it, gears were much easier to engage!

Comma stuff is decent and quite reasonably priced.

If you want to improve 'gear selection' check to see if a substance is still available called 'Molyslip'.

In the late 80's early 90's we used to use this 'stuff' on Ford Gearboxes who were renowned for difficult selection into reverse when hot - inserting some moly slip into the gearbox used to work wonders and reverse would be selected with no 'graunching'!

I'm NOT a believer of 'quick fix addatives' but molyslip (if still available) seems to work.

I used Comma 75w90 in my tsport and it made a big difference, even the missus noticed it, gears were much easier to engage!

Comma stuff is decent and quite reasonably priced.

Where did you get the comma g/box from?

Cheers

Matt

Thanks for the replies so far

Does anyone have any more reccommendations for the make of

gearbox oil to be used in a 6 speed box on a G6r?

Thanks

Mike

Both the Castrol UK and Opieoil UK websites allow you to search for suitable engine and gearbox oils.

All synchronoised gear boxes rely on a certain amount of friction to operate correctly so it is not advisable to use additives which may alter the fine tolerances within the synchro hubs and bulk rings otherwise you can end up with crunching gear changes which will severly shorten the life of the gearbox. Also avoid so-called high performance gear oils as they are intended to be used in higher temperatures than that of ordinary road use.

All oils tend to deteriorate with age so in many cases a fresh refill of new oil is all that is required.:)

If you want to improve 'gear selection' check to see if a substance is still available called 'Molyslip'.

In the late 80's early 90's we used to use this 'stuff' on Ford Gearboxes who were renowned for difficult selection into reverse when hot - inserting some moly slip into the gearbox used to work wonders and reverse would be selected with no 'graunching'!

I'm NOT a believer of 'quick fix addatives' but molyslip (if still available) seems to work.

Calling it "friction modifier" these days :lol: Redline do it. I used some to stop my lsd (on the starlet) clunking so much,done the job prefect but was warned not to use too much or it would make things worse :) Ahhh....an lsd,probebly the best mod you could do to a car.............

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links