Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Head Unit?

tech_gti

was wondering if anyone can recomend a double din head unit with dvd mp3 and cable for steering controls? be honest can plug block connectors together but thats as far as my audio knowledge goes

thanks

Hate to say it, but your not going to find it.

Something i wanted to do when i got mine changed, but yet to find a solution, that was some 4yrs ago.

Only one person on the forum has done this successfully, but will need more than connecting block terminals together.

• 3 weeks later...

Check this out ECLIPSE AVN726EE :thumbsup:

It is relatively expensive but should support steering wheel controls for euro toyotas (it does here in Australia).

• 1 month later...

Of course you'll find a steering wheel cable that works with your steeringwheel-controls.

I've used Pioneers and Alpines and they work fine!

Just ask your local audio-dealer for price! They are around 100€...

• 1 month later...

Of course you'll find a steering wheel cable that works with your steeringwheel-controls.

I've used Pioneers and Alpines and they work fine!

Just ask your local audio-dealer for price! They are around 100€...

No, you're wrong! They don't exist as a commersial product for the prefacelift Corolla.

Unless you can prove otherwise?

• 2 weeks later...

just bought the connects2 steering wheel connector loom and was wondering will it fit to a 2001 avensis? as i cant find the plug in the existing loom

or is it a case of tapping into the loom that originally plugged into the trip/nav computer ?

• 1 month later...

just bought the connects2 steering wheel connector loom and was wondering will it fit to a 2001 avensis? as i cant find the plug in the existing loom

or is it a case of tapping into the loom that originally plugged into the trip/nav computer ?

Hi

I'm looking for steering wheel control lead for corolla verso. Did u succeed with your connects 2 lead? if so can you send what cable you bought? My multimedia system has three wires coming out on the back . don't know which patch lead i need to buy....

Have a look here to identify the controls.

If you have the prefacelift one, then your out of luck.

Hi Thicket

This is the info I need, thanks very much. My model is 54 reg (2004) corolla verso with 20 pin cable.I've chinese multimedia system whcih I liked very much with all functions. This unit also gives three wired outputs for steering wheel control(one with GND ,other two says KY+ and KY- these KY not to be connected to power). I tried looking to patch these with autoleads and connects2 cables. one looks nearly close pc99-Pan (panasonic ) which just gives three wired outputs. But not sure which one is Ground and which one is signal+ and signal-

Have you got any advice for me please.

Sorry, there were some formatting error with the list on the page I linked to. I've edited it now, so that the pin numbers are visible. I think the KY+ is the same as SW+ and KY- the same as SW-. If it doesn't work, then switch the KYs and see if it works then. It really doesn't matter if you switch these two pins, it'll only effect functionality. GND is however important that you connect on the proper pin.

Sorry, there were some formatting error with the list on the page I linked to. I've edited it now, so that the pin numbers are visible. I think the KY+ is the same as SW+ and KY- the same as SW-. If it doesn't work, then switch the KYs and see if it works then. It really doesn't matter if you switch these two pins, it'll only effect functionality. GND is however important that you connect on the proper pin.

Hi Thicket

Thanks for the info. Now I've decided to do my own connector for this instead of wasting money on non-suiatble patch leads from autoleads or connect2. I've connected the pins to the 20 pin connector,but to noluck. The GND on 20 pin connector(I suppose black wire) is not connected to pin 6 as mentioned above link it is connected to 8th pin. Is this right?

Thanks

Hi Thicket

Thanks for the info. Now I've decided to do my own connector for this instead of wasting money on non-suiatble patch leads from autoleads or connect2. I've connected the pins to the 20 pin connector,but to noluck. The GND on 20 pin connector(I suppose black wire) is not connected to pin 6 as mentioned above link it is connected to 8th pin. Is this right?

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply.

I don't know about the colours, but the pins should be correct. Black doesn't necessarily mean ground, since as on the schematics for the plug shows ground as red. This is probably because the ground for the steering wheel controls aren't the same as the chassis ground.

I would follow pin numbers, regardless of colour:

06 - GND (ground to steering wheel ctrl)

07 - SW1 (signal from steering wheel ctrl)

08 - SW2 (signal from steering wheel ctrl)

Hi Thicket

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply.

I don't know about the colours, but the pins should be correct. Black doesn't necessarily mean ground, since as on the schematics for the plug shows ground as red. This is probably because the ground for the steering wheel controls aren't the same as the chassis ground.

I would follow pin numbers, regardless of colour:

06 - GND (ground to steering wheel ctrl)

07 - SW1 (signal from steering wheel ctrl)

08 - SW2 (signal from steering wheel ctrl)

Hi

Thanks for reply. I'm close but far. I have a multimeter with me is there a way I make sure which wire is GND on the connector. Do I keep in resistance mode is it? As I was trying changing gnd wire , was I damaged anything? When i see autoleads connector it comes with small block in between,that means is there any circuit needed between this 20 pin connector and head unit connections?

Hi

Thanks for reply. I'm close but far. I have a multimeter with me is there a way I make sure which wire is GND on the connector. Do I keep in resistance mode is it? As I was trying changing gnd wire , was I damaged anything? When i see autoleads connector it comes with small block in between,that means is there any circuit needed between this 20 pin connector and head unit connections?

You need the block between if you have an after market unit like Pioneer, Sony or Kenwood, but is not required if you have an after market Toyota stereo, that use the standardised resistor network that Toyota use today.

I doubt that you damaged anything, but one can not always be sure.

This is what you can do to verify the pins:

Measure resistance between GND and SW1.

You should then have the following values when you press the different buttons:

Vol+ : 1.5kΩ

Vol- : 2.2kΩ

Seek + : 6Ω

Seek - : 33Ω

Measure resistance between GND and SW2.

When pressing MODE, there should be no resistance.

There should be no risk when measuring this with your multimeter, so go ahead and make sure that you measure the different combinations to verify which pin is which. Note that GND is not the same as chassis ground!

Hi

You need the block between if you have an after market unit like Pioneer, Sony or Kenwood, but is not required if you have an after market Toyota stereo, that use the standardised resistor network that Toyota use today.

I doubt that you damaged anything, but one can not always be sure.

This is what you can do to verify the pins:

Measure resistance between GND and SW1.

You should then have the following values when you press the different buttons:

Vol+ : 1.5kΩ

Vol- : 2.2kΩ

Seek + : 6Ω

Seek - : 33Ω

Measure resistance between GND and SW2.

When pressing MODE, there should be no resistance.

There should be no risk when measuring this with your multimeter, so go ahead and make sure that you measure the different combinations to verify which pin is which. Note that GND is not the same as chassis ground!

Oh that's the tricky bit then. I'm fixing after market chinese system. So if I connect the steering wheel control connector directly to my chinese system this might not work isn't it?

Oh that's the tricky bit then. I'm fixing after market chinese system. So if I connect the steering wheel control connector directly to my chinese system this might not work isn't it?

If you've got a chineese system made TO SUIT Toyota, then I think they might have added support for Toyota steering wheel controls. But you need to try to know.

• 1 month later...

was wondering if anyone can recomend a double din head unit with dvd mp3 and cable for steering controls? be honest can plug block connectors together but thats as far as my audio knowledge goes

thanks

steering wheel control is related with the can-bus. As i know, some head units from Qualir support steering wheel control. click here

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links