Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whats Better Aygo Or Yaris?

douglasi

:huh:

got to buy replacement car, aygo looks good but just one engine size so would be better off with yaris for m/way trips? really not much in it price wise for nearly new via dealer/trade in. Love to hear your thoughts..

hmm..

Well I had a new shape 56 reg 1.3 petrol yaris T3.

I've now got a 1 litre aygo+ with a few extras...alloys, fogs etc.

A couple of notes:

The yaris was of better quality and seems better value for money than the aygo.

The yaris handled itself better on the motorway, the aygo is less stable and more twitchy.

However, with my 1.3 yaris (and many others on this forum) suffer from a gearbox/clutch problem that seems to be a design fault with the unit and not just a "problem" with mine.

I have since driven a 1 litre yaris and was impressed with it...it was just as quick as my 1.3 - just not as smooth.

If i was to buy another yaris i would be tempted to buy a 1 litre model...however i have not driven the new 1.33 yaris, which could be different from the 1.3 which was in my yaris.

at the end of the day, both cars will get you where your going, but if i was buying to go on the motorway a lot i would buy a yaris.

Aygos ok on the motorway once your used to it...but it is more effected by cross winds & large cars/lorries than what my yaris was.

hmm..

A couple of notes:

The yaris handled itself better on the motorway, the aygo is less stable and more twitchy.

However, with my 1.3 yaris (and many others on this forum) suffer from a gearbox/clutch problem that seems to be a design fault with the unit and not just a "problem" with mine.

I have since driven a 1 litre yaris and was impressed with it...it was just as quick as my 1.3 - just not as smooth.

If i was to buy another yaris i would be tempted to buy a 1 litre model...however i have not driven the new 1.33 yaris, which could be different from the 1.3 which was in my yaris.

at the end of the day, both cars will get you where your going, but if i was buying to go on the motorway a lot i would buy a yaris.

Aygos ok on the motorway once your used to it...but it is more effected by cross winds & large cars/lorries than what my yaris was.

thanks t/boata very helpful to know that about g/box on your 1.3 does the 1 litre yaris have a different arrangement do you know?

The reason we are looking is because our Meriva has a steering fault, again, apparently a design prob, we will get that repaired before moving on but don't want to go from frying pan into fire as it were so thanks again for that.

hmm..

A couple of notes:

thanks t/boata very helpful to know that about g/box on your 1.3 does the 1 litre yaris have a different arrangement do you know?

The reason we are looking is because our Meriva has a steering fault, again, apparently a design prob, we will get that repaired before moving on but don't want to go from frying pan into fire as it were so thanks again for that.

Not sure about the Yaris as i have never drove one but the Aygo is group 1 insurance and from April 2010 will only be £20 a year tax, that itself was good enough reason for myself to look for an Aygo.....Colin

The Yaris is bigger, safer, drier with a new 1.33 dual VVT-i engine with 100bhp which is good for 55+mpg, connected to a 6 speed new gear box with Stop/Start technology and £30 a year road tax. It has the option of 9 air bags and VSC/TC which will give it a 5 star euro ncap rating. Just as cheap to run as an Aygo.

The Aygo is a nice car but after reading about the problems on here with water leaks, fuel pump failures etc, I’d go for the Yaris every time.

The 1 litre 3 cylinder engine is way too small for the Yaris, definitely have the 1.33 Jap engine :thumbsup:

The Yaris is bigger, safer, drier with a new 1.33 dual VVT-i engine with 100bhp which is good for 55+mpg, connected to a 6 speed new gear box with Stop/Start technology and £30 a year road tax. It has the option of 9 air bags and VSC/TC which will give it a 5 star euro ncap rating. Just as cheap to run as an Aygo.

The Aygo is a nice car but after reading about the problems on here with water leaks, fuel pump failures etc, I’d go for the Yaris every time.

The 1 litre 3 cylinder engine is way too small for the Yaris, definitely have the 1.33 Jap engine :thumbsup:

thanks reece :) much appreciated: nice hair and tash

Go one better get a Corolla,

Same money or less than a Yaris and excellent reliability (best in recent Warranty Direct figures), so better value for money. This is the bug-eyed Corolla, not the later, squarer shape that was in turn replaced by the Auris.

quote from hoest john - are you talking about the bug-eyed Corolla?

Go one better get a Corolla,

Same money or less than a Yaris and excellent reliability (best in recent Warranty Direct figures), so better value for money. This is the bug-eyed Corolla, not the later, squarer shape that was in turn replaced by the Auris.

quote from hoest john - are you talking about the bug-eyed Corolla?

I expect this is the model you are referring to sms:-

Toyota Corolla (1992 - 1997)

Good: Efficient, dependable transport highly rated by those who own them.

Bad: Characterless and unsuited to those who enjoy their driving.

What's Good

The world's most popular car (even though Corolla can mean different cars in different markets). Blandly efficient and extremely reliable over first 5 years or so. Easy but dull to drive. 87 bhp 1.3 quite powerful, but economical. 1.6 has 113 bhp. Autos on 1.3s are 3-speed; on 1.6s are 4-speed. Full range of hatchbacks, saloons and estates. Well regarded and hold their value well. Has been top or near top in J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Surveys. In June 2001 Toyota was rated by Motor Warranty Direct as Britain's 3rd most claim-free used marque. BMW, Toyota and Ford jointly suffered the fewest breakdowns attended by German ADAC during 2001. Toyota had fourth lowest average cost in warranty claims for cars up to 10 years old in 2002 Warranty Direct index. Toyota generally 10th lowest average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 74.95 v/s lowest 31.93) Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk 1995-1997 had fewest breakdowns, problems and faults in 2003 Which survey.

Last updated 27-7-2007

sounds good although bigger than required really but thanks, don't seem to be usual list of 'known faults'.

I would test drive the new 1.33 yaris, i would expect it to fill every need. & i assume they have sorted the problem out as the older ones were a 5 speed box, not a 6.

I have driven the 1 litre yaris and was impressed by it...but the 1.33 should/would be nicer.

test drive them & have a poke around.

BTW - have you looked at the new ford fiesta?

Drove a 1.25 fiesta on the motorway with 5 adults & a FULL boot...was really impressed with that!

My Aygo is fine on the Motorway - okay it sounds slightly rowdy at high speeds but crosswinds aren't affecting it as much as I originally thought. And once your ears adjust to the noise it's relatively quiet. Just put the radio on and you're fine! Aygo will be a bit cheaper to run probably but in terms of interior space there's not much in it I don't think. Obviously you get a bigger boot with the Yaris! Hope you choose whichever suits you best! :-)

but in terms of interior space there's not much in it I don't think.

There is a massive difference! Dr Who would be proud, its not called Big Small for nothing ;)

got to buy replacement car, aygo looks good but just one engine size so would be better off with yaris for m/way trips? really not much in it price wise for nearly new via dealer/trade in. Love to hear your thoughts..

It depends on your motoring needs really. You will find out here about all the usual Aygo problems, but you will need to check out the Yaris forum to find out what the usual Yaris problems are (every car has some issues).

Take both for a test drive and then decide. The Aygo is cheaper to run than the Yaris and I think it has more character, but the Yaris has more internal space(seats 5 vs 4 in the Aygo and bigger boot) and is better equipped(although the special edition Aygos such as the Platinum are well equipped). At the end of the day you need to try both and weigh up which you prefer and how much you are willing to spend.

Best of luck with your new purchase.

Absolutely echo those comments.

That 1.33 engine, coupled w/the 6 speed manual box, is an absolute delight. Wish it was available in the Aygo!

However, and this is the real issue I have, the central binacle of the Yaris is something I cannot live with at all...I would suggest you test drive one and see if that is something you can live with.

From a health & safety aspect perhaps the Aygo display is preferable:

The Yaris dasboard display lights up whenever the ignition is switched on - and very attractive it is too. The Aygo display is dull by comparison and, if the driver ever forgets to switch on the headlights, the dull dashboard will serve as a reminder to do so.

From a health & safety aspect perhaps the Aygo display is preferable:

The Yaris dasboard display lights up whenever the ignition is switched on - and very attractive it is too. The Aygo display is dull by comparison and, if the driver ever forgets to switch on the headlights, the dull dashboard will serve as a reminder to do so.

Yes, that is something that my Corolla Verso also does. Very annoying!

thank you very much everybody -

useful pointers that are going to be helpful.

Really appreciate your contributions, thanks again.

Ian

I'd put it down to what you're gonna use it for.

If it's just for you and you won't be doing too much motorway diving, the Aygo will be okay.

If you will be carting people round or doing a fair bit of motorway driving tho, the Yaris will be much more comfortable.

The 1.33 Yaris is more expensive to tax but still gets good mileage, but if you're concerned about that the diesel Yaris is as cheap to run and tax as the 1.0 Aygo but has much more grunt.

On a slight tangent, wasn't the Yaris gearbox problem fixed?

I'd put it down to what you're gonna use it for.

If it's just for you and you won't be doing too much motorway diving, the Aygo will be okay.

If you will be carting people round or doing a fair bit of motorway driving tho, the Yaris will be much more comfortable.

The 1.33 Yaris is more expensive to tax but still gets good mileage, but if you're concerned about that the diesel Yaris is as cheap to run and tax as the 1.0 Aygo but has much more grunt.

thanks Cyker dunno about yaris g/box being fixed as such but toyota seem more generous about picking up the tab on design faults than say vauxhall.

like another member if I were in the market for a Yaris sized vehicle I would have to look at the Fiesta - seems to wipe the boards in every road test, whichever motor mag - pick up an ex-demo though as Ford's just don't hold their money but the Zetec 1.25 has a great engine and good spec!

Looking at the choice slightly differently: if you want a small car which drives like a small car, get the Aygo. If you want big car feel, get the Yaris.

Problem solved :thumbsup:

Paul.

Looking at the choice slightly differently: if you want a small car which drives like a small car, get the Aygo. If you want big car feel, get the Yaris.

Problem solved :thumbsup:

Paul.

If you want a big car feel...get an IQ ;)

They are to be honest, quite strange in a good way, they are a lot wider inside than a Yaris and actually feel like a big car (ok not power wise) .....that is until you see your reflection in any shop windows you pass :lol:

my iQ3 has the same engine as the Yaris complete with start/stop and once warm it certainly can shift and does feel like a large car up front - treat it as a two seater and it's great!

The 1.33 Yaris is more expensive to tax but still gets good mileage,

£30 a year!! How much cheaper do you want a 100bhp car to be? :unsure:

The new Yaris has a new 6 speed box (on the 1.33) No problem :thumbsup: