Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whats Better Aygo Or Yaris?

douglasi

The IQ only feels big if you don't look backwards and you're the only one in it :P

(Seriously... if a bunch of you are going to ride in an IQ, call shotgun unless you're tiny and/or have no legs! :lol: )

For the driver the IQ does feel quite nice tho'; As giddlepin says it's very roomy in the driver's seat and it is unusually wide for such a short wheel-base car. (It does look wider than my Yaris!! :lol: )

The Fiesta is a pretty good car, but I don't consider the newer models to be in the same class as the Yaris any more. They ain't far off being as long as an early-gen Focus which kinda misses the point of a 'small hatchback' IMHO!

The thing I love about my Yaris is that it is small enough that you can park it almost anywhere, which is great in cities, but because the rear seats slide you can switch between boot space or and passenger space dead easily, whereas most cars of that size have to compromise on one or the other. (My old gen Fiesta was like that; Large boot but no room in the rear seats for those pesky 'legs' :lol:)

That and the engine is way overpowered for such a light car so motorway driving is fun :D

(Hint: Don't get the 1.0. If you think the 1.0 is okay, you're probably better off with the Aygo! Definitely DON'T get the 1.0 with the MMT gearbox unless you are *really* patient!)

Edit: @reece - Good point! I keep forgetting about that :unsure:

The older Mk2 Yaris 1.3 engines and all the Mk1 petrol Yaris'(sseses?) were ~£120 road tax; Back then the only £30 tax one was my D4D!

Pace of technology 'eh? :P

I do 70+ motorway miles a day on my work & home run and have not found any issues with the Aygo.

Previous to the Aygo I had a 1.5 Suzuki Swift GLX that did the same daily run and other than the obvious

power issues for overtaking (Aygo generally needs a gear drop to make a quick overtake) I don't regret

my change at all.

My mother has recently changed from a Yaris to an IQ and I think they are all equally good cars.

The IQ & Yaris have more toys, but other than the obvious size differences I would be happy with any one of them.

Drive each one and make a decision from there.

but in terms of interior space there's not much in it I don't think.

There is a massive difference! Dr Who would be proud, its not called Big Small for nothing ;)

Hmm well I'm quite short and can easily fit two six footers behind me. Maybe a different story if you're really tall driver, but for me there isn't much in it. Huge amount of space in the Aygo considering it's such a tiny car - it's shorter than a MINI yet look how much space there is!

Thinking about it, i think i would buy a ford fiesta or a yaris if i was going on the motorway.

Fiesta:

Big

Stylish

Fantastic to drive

Handles much like a bigger car at high and low speeds

easy to park

Economical BUT overall will be more costly than a yaris to own & run.

New Yaris:

Improved, more powerful engine than the last model

A 6 Speed gearbox...economical for motorway driving!

Drives ok, but not as good as the fiesta...although you do get a "higher" sitting position.

Slightly better quality

And i assume more reliable in the future years...but the new fiesta is supposed to be very good on this aspect as well.

Toyota Service = better than fords...this was a big one for me in my purchase decision.

Aygo:

Great car, lowest cost, least depreciating.

Stylish

easy to drive & park although not as "nice" to drive as the others...it is a small car and it drives like one.

I think its too unstable at high speeds for constant motorway driving...fine if theres no side wind and whatever, but it is the most susceptible car to side wind i have ever driven.

Its a lot nosier than the other two both at low & high speeds.

Engine isn’t as smooth 3 cylinder.

Only 4 adults can fit in it...and if its 4 big blokes it a bit tight.

Boot is the smallest.

possibly has the most problems out of the 3...but having said that all cars have a fault or two.

But in summary, if i was going buy a small car for a lot of motorway use i would be looking at something like a yaris or fiesta...i think the aygo is a little bit too "city car" to use as a constant motorway car.

Obviously I have an Aygo and I do go on the motorway with it, but most of the time I do town driving, which the aygo is ideal for. From all the cars i’ve driven i find the aygo the most “work” on the motorway, having to constantly keep it in the lanes, where a bigger car tracks along by itself almost.

I have driven to Spain a couple of times and i know how tired you can feel from driving 500 miles in a day with a “motorway” car, and how i would feel in an aygo..

I would probably skip the Fiesta and have a Mazda 2 which is the same underneath but with more toys, but there’s no option of having rear disc brakes on the Mazda or Fiesta.

I would probably skip the Fiesta and have a Mazda 2 which is the same underneath but with more toys, but there’s no option of having rear disc brakes on the Mazda or Fiesta.

loads of really helpful ideas and tips, thank you very much indeed.

Ian Douglas

I did have a look at the mazda 2 as i had heard about the same underneath, but i just dont like it as much as the fiesta...but yeah, mazda 2 is another option.

Matt =)

I drive to Birmingham (100mile round trip) twice a week and find the AYGO very good for this...has all the comfort and power I need, not sure how I would feel after a longer journey though. On more windy days it blows around a bit at higher speeds, saying that it is impossible to go more than 60 in rush hour on the M6 anyway! Before the AYGO I had a 2002 Ford KA and that handled brilliantly on the motorway...but the seats wern't comfortable for more than 2 or so hours.

I have driven a new yaris 1.0 on the motorway and was pretty impressed. It was well controlled, fairly quiet and suprising quick considering its size. I'd say if you are using the motorway for more than 10hours per week go for a yaris otherwise the definately the AYGO.

According to 2008 ADAC Breakdown statistics, the Aygo is the car with the least breakdowns (place 31) in the smallest car category that is still in production. It's only beaten by the Audi A2 (place 32), but that isn't produced anymore since 2005, and probably only added to have a german car at top (If you know the ADAC magazine, then you probably have noticed that they are very patriotic and love german cars :unsure: ). If also have a closer look at the numbers and know that the A2 was a failures on sales, then definitely the Aygo is the car with least problems in this market area. The Yaris (place 18) is only slightly better than the VW Fox (place 17). The Yaris has according to this statistic often problems with the starter (especially the model 06/07), the Battery and the rubber parts are attractive for weasels. Aygo, Peugeot 107 (place 28) and Citroen C1 (place 24) only have problems with the tyres and the Battery. The Ford Ka ist the worst car (place 1) followed by the Smart fortwo (place 2), the Fiesta gets place 6 (attractive to weasels, problems with the power generator (especialy model 05) and joints (especially model 05)). Mazda 2 is on place 11 (problems with Battery, Motormanagement (Model 03) and coolant pump (up to model 04)). Sadly the iQ isn't in the statistic yet, as it's too new. ADAC is the biggest german automobile club and you can call them if you have a breakdown and they help you for free if you are a member. post-87903-1262267329_thumb.jpg

On the actual Dekra List the Aygo is in the smallest car category with a driving distance of max. 50000 km per year on place two with the least problems after the Renault Clio III. Mazda 2 get's place 3 in this category. In the range 50000 km - 100000 km the Mazda 2 is the winner, followed by Honda Jazz and Mitsubishi Colt. In the range 100000 km - 150000 km the winner is the Audi A2, followed by the Yaris and Ford Fiesta / Fusion on place 3.

On the actual TÜV Problemreport it looks a bit different: The Yaris gets place 6, while the Aygo shares place 30 with a few other cars.

So the Aygo is probably a save bet for long distances. I only would take the Yaris if I need more space.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links