Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr 180 Chipped 210bhp

smicker68

As you can see i dont have a 180, however i do have a box on a 2.2 D4D and i would like to add my comments:

1. How does the MPG compare when driven the same as without the box? - + 4-5 MPG

2. Have you experienced any problems at all? - A little bit more smoke when driving hard i.e to blow out the EGR

3. What mileage have you done with your box fitted? - 8,000

4. How do you rate your Auris T180/SR180 now with this box fitted? N/A

5. Whos box do you have fitted? is this one of Kingo's? The german adjustable one, fuel rail sensor only.

6. Is it worth the money and would you buy this now knowing what you know? Yes, because its better on fuel and has improved drivability.

7. How much more did your insurance cost? - £120, which will be covered by the additional MPG

The box is running on the middle settings at present, no plans to turn it up any higher. The car has a lady Driver and isnt ragged about.

Thanks for you answers and time taken the problem for me is the fact this box is more unique due to altering the boost as well and that in turn make this a different type of box to yours, It does look good if you did gain 5mpg on a T180 / SR180 and I do know John does have a good reputation for these boxes its just a shame they dont seem to have really been tested much on a T180 /SR180 (If they had the German manufacturer of these would have dyno prints and info that John would have shown months ago) and the very high price.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick D4D

• Parts-King

• Beretta

• smicker68

Yes there is but we still dont know how reliable these cars are with this fitted, now that John has corrected himself about the hundreds of these sold we now know he has only sold about 25 of these boxes that have been fitted to an Auris T180 / SR180, I would still like to know the answers to these questions from independent buyers of this product and hopefully people who have done more than 10k with this fitted, as these will not be biased in any shape or form.

And here we go again with another demand.

You have to understand that it's NEVER safe to tune your car. It doesn't matter if it's a tuning box or a software map. There's always a risk involved. Your car might be ok but your neighbours car might break down in the first 500km's. That's why the factories have a LOT of safe margin in fuel map to compensate for manufacturing tolerances in the engine.

It DOES NOT MATTER what kind of ECU tuning your car has, it might or might not break down. That's a risk you have to take if you want to tune your car. If you're not willing to take that risk do not blame other people for it.

Geez, people who make this much excuses never really have any guts to try anything. I presume that everytime your demand is fulfilled you always come up with another one.

Well, best of luck to you on the road you've chosen.

Edit:

Rick, what exactly are you afraid that might break down? Cylinder block? Injectors? Drivetrain? Gearbox?? What???

its just a shame they dont seem to have really been tested much on a T180 /SR180 (If they had the German manufacturer of these would have dyno prints and info that John would have shown months ago)

Hmmm.... So you mean that the German company puts out untested products for the masses? From what I've understood is that this company has used taxi drivers as testbeds for the past two years for this box. I would say that it's been quite well tested.

This is not another demand I have been asking all along for people to give comments who may have done 20k on this box in an Auris T180 / SR180, and yes these boxes do push the tolerance limits and I have in the past experienced the problems caused by this due to a dodgy repair / design fault that the lower tolerance limit exposed. http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.98.htm

I would guess an injector on a T180 / SR180 costs approx £500 each never mind the dcat or fuel pump so yes I do have concerns on what seems to be a poorly or untested (on a AURIS T180/SR180) product but I take it you must have money to throw around by your lack of concern so lucky you but I dont.

I also find it very hard to believe that the German company tested the Auris T180 / SR180 box in an Auris fleet of taxis :lol2: :lol2: , you forget the Auris T180 / SR180 is a rare car so please keep to facts and not pie in the sky.

This is not another demand I have been asking all along for people to give comments who may have done 20k on this box in an Auris T180 / SR180, and yes these boxes do push the tolerance limits and I have in the past experienced the problems caused by this due to a dodgy repair / design fault that the lower tolerance limit exposed. http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.98.htm

I would guess an injector on a T180 / SR180 costs approx £500 each never mind the dcat or fuel pump so yes I do have concerns on what seems to be a poorly or untested (on a AURIS T180/SR180) product but I take it you must have money to throw around by your lack of concern so lucky you but I dont.

I also find it very hard to believe that the German company tested the Auris T180 / SR180 box in an Auris fleet of taxis :lol2: :lol2: , you forget the Auris T180 / SR180 is a rare car so.

please keep to facts and not pie in the sky

When will you stop Rick and admit that you and your buddy Beretta are only here to s**t stir, firstly when people bought the Auris brand new did they have anyone with 20k on the clock to talk to? NO

Has every new Auris T180 sold never been recalled for a flaw or broken down? Don't kid yourself! Maybe Toyota didn't test them enough by your own words!

Have you looked at the power curves you both consistently demanded? I notice your not making too much comment on that now its been posted, beat on that one so try to find something else to winge about. The chipped power curve is better than the original, so why would it be more likely to damage the car? And as Kingo says the boost increase is there to help the Dcat, to balance the fuel/air ratio, that has to be better than just altering fuelling!

As for testing so what if it was tested in an Avensis with the T180 engine, the engine is the same, the Auris may not even be available in T180 in Germany, the box was made for T180 engines not specifically Auris. You said yourself here the Auris is a rare car yet you now insult Kingo again for not having sold enough kits to Auris customers, the fact that they are rare is the reason it took Kingo a while to get one, and in fact sales volumes of them are low enough that Toyota have stopped selling this model. Kingo said he has retailed 25 kits on here, but sells others through other dealers around the world, the world is not all on this forum!

Quote RickD4d: you forget the Auris T180 / SR180 is a rare car so please keep to facts and not pie in the sky???? You posted a link url="http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.98.htm"] but this refers to a Mercedes not an Auris T180 so by your own words keep to the facts and not pie in the sky!

Its obvious you two have an axe to grind with Kingo for whatever reason, you demanded your graph and now you have it but still you rant! Funny thing is looking at Berettas previous posts

Quote: Beretta

Out of all the cars I have owned, the Auris is the one I can never say I have loved, or ever will.

Its a good all round work horse, with loads of room inside, but high fuel consumption, together with low quality build components, and niggles that a Toyota should never have, took the potential for any long lasting joy away.

Would I buy another one................................Never, as I will go back to VAG.

Quote Beretta

As an interest to Toyota quoted/claimed fuel consumption figures.

Toyota have just sent me the brochure for the new Prius and under fuel consumption figures they quote:-

"The fuel consumption and CO2 figures are measured in a controlled environment, in accordance with EU legislation EC715/2007 as modified EC 692/2008, on a basic production vehicle. For further information or if you are interested in buying a basic production hehicle, please contact Toyota Motor Europe NV/SA".

As these are EC regulations they must also apply to the Auris.

They then go on to state the obvious regarding driving styles, passenger loads, traffic conditions etc.

What now springs to mind, is that to get anywhere near the quoted figures you should be driving a "BASIC PRODUCTION VEHICLE", in a controlled environment, so lets ask what is this basic production vehicle and how basic is it, and why is it only available to special order?

Its also surely wrong to quote figures for all cars in a model range, when the testing is done on a car that is not generally available, and then only on special order?

And last but not least, low and behold Beretta already has a tuning box he bought off eBay for £90 quid without requiring any graphs or any info on boost spikes, he just bunged it on and hoped for the best, so why has he been continuing to ask Kingo for graphs if he has a unit which is obviously working so well?

Quote Beretta:

Took a chance and bought one, opened it to make sure it was the same as yours, and not just a 50p resistor in a box, fitted it and there is a real noticable difference, the engine is smoother and pulls a lot stronger from lower in the rev range, and holds torque for longer.

Forget first and seond gears, but third onwards the car really pulls the way it should have from the production line, fuel consumption has improved a bit, but might get better when I start driving it sensibly.

He will take offers on the buy it now, and I paid £90, but might be worth a punt at a bit lower, with five day recorded delivery to your door.

Having looked at those on Google, this is the same as the dearer ones, and it even comes with the blanking testing plug to make sure you have wired it correctly, although a five year old kid could wire it in without any mistakes, two plugs and a live and negative to the Battery, its that easy. The one for the SR180 is the six wire plugged one.

Just now trying to get the wiring diagram to see which jumpers can be altered to modify the programme,

Now need to now get it on rollers.

Identical fitting to the E-Bay one that I have, with the exception that on the Auris SR 180 you also connect a live and negative to the Battery.

The E-Bay one also states that the item is made in Germany same as the Racechip one.

Been running mine for a few days now, and it just gets better by the day.

So if he is so happy with his eBay box why has he spent several months going on at Kingo about his? Its obvious as I said earlier you two guys would just argue black was white and are just here to stir up another argument!

In your sixth question you say: 6. Is it worth the money and would you buy this now knowing what you know? What do people now know? That the kits works like Kingo says! Is it worth the money? Well anyone who has bought it thinks so, if you don't then don't buy one!

The graph is there for all to see and it seems obvious neither you nor Beretta ever intended to buy one, he already has an eBay kit! And you want the Queen to give you a written guarantee on palace headed paper before you will so just do the honerable thing and bow out!

Some very interesting points Daron but I don't think it is fair to judge the same engine in different cars. Firstly the frictional losses in the drive train are bound to be different and I would suspect the ECU to be programmed differently as well to allow for different gear ratios, etc.

When asking an engine to provide more energy there is always a risk that the affected components (such as the turbo and fuel injection system) may have a shorter life-span. For instance increasing turbo boost pressure will be asking more of the turbo and its plumbing but if people are willing to take the risk and there is early failure then it's entirely up to them.:)

Kingo,

Thanks for the info and i am sold, now all i need to do is to come up with the dosh and have a word with my insurance company.

Has anyone dealt with More Than in regards to mods? If so how did it go?

Is it easy to fit Kingo?

This certainly has been entertaining to follow, rarely have i seen such strong arguments from both sides of the fence. Though i do think its time everyone kissed and make up... Its happy new year and all. :thumbsup:

Some very interesting points Daron but I don't think it is fair to judge the same engine in different cars. Firstly the frictional losses in the drive train are bound to be different and I would suspect the ECU to be programmed differently as well to allow for different gear ratios, etc.

When asking an engine to provide more energy there is always a risk that the affected components (such as the turbo and fuel injection system) may have a shorter life-span. For instance increasing turbo boost pressure will be asking more of the turbo and its plumbing but if people are willing to take the risk and there is early failure then it's entirely up to them.:)

James how do you know for sure that all T180 don't use the same mapping it entirely possible that they all use the same mapping and why could gearing ratios not be the same in all T180's? Power and torque figures are exactly the same for every model of T180. And yes of course when you increase power you increase risk but if done properly problems are highly unlikely, I think most people are aware of that but untuned cars can just as easily break down. Besides that what Kingo is trying to get across is that he has never had a customer complaint of damage to any car, nothing can be guaranteed 100% failure proof but thats what Rick seems to want. Also there is no way Toyota would have the turbo on these cars running at its limit, all manufacturers allow margins of adjustment either way.

The point Rick made was that if the box was tested long term on an Avensis or Rav T180 it would bear no resemblence to the Auris, I don't believe they are that different. He also said customers are being used as guinea pigs to test them, if thats true we are all used as guinea pigs to test new products, if that were wrong why do car manufacturers recall new or nearly new cars to replace parts on them regularly? Defects, thats why.

James how do you know for sure that all T180 don't use the same mapping it entirely possible that they all use the same mapping? Power and torque figures are exactly the same for every model of T180. And yes of course when you increase power you increase risk but if done properly problems are highly unlikely, I think most people are aware of that but untuned cars can just as easily break down. Besides that what Kingo is trying to get across is that he has never had a customer complaint of damage to any car, nothing can be guaranteed 100% failure proof but thats what Rick seems to want. Also there is no way Toyota would have the turbo on these cars running at its limit, all manufacturers allow margins of adjustment either way.

I always wondered why manufacturers don't run their turbos to their limit - now I know - many thanks indeed.:)

Kingo,

Thanks for the info and i am sold, now all i need to do is to come up with the dosh and have a word with my insurance company.

Is it easy to fit Kingo?

This certainly has been entertaining to follow, rarely have i seen such strong arguments from both sides of the fence. Though i do think its time everyone kissed and make up... Its happy new year and all. :thumbsup:

I didn't want to get involved again but I do think Kingo has been unfairly treated by these two and without just cause. Their motives are dubious at least, one already has a tuning kit and the other even after getting his power graph chooses now to make no comment on it and now has a fresh list of demands.

Kingo,

T Sport:

I tried getting a quote online from More Than, but they don't allow for modifications online, so the process was useless.

When I rang them they said they couldn't offer me a quote for a car with a management system modification.

...I'm no kid btw, have max NCB (hugging huge baulk of timber for luck here!) and live in a low insurance region out in the sticks!

Have you looked at the power curves you both consistently demanded? PLEASE POST WHERE I DEMANDED THIS, I never did I am more interested what buyers think and there experiences. I notice your not making too much comment on that now its been posted, INTERESTING it is but on that point whos to say the car was an Auris T180 /Sr180 we only have the seller to ask this (not that I doubt John) beat on that one so try to find something else to winge about. The chipped power curve is better than the original, so why would it be more likely to damage the car? By removing or reducing the tolerances the manufacturers use but uf you had read all the post you would know this. And as Kingo says the boost increase is there to help the Dcat, to balance the fuel/air ratio, that has to be better than just altering fuelling! I have no reason to doubt that I was just pointing out an expensive part that maybe after 20k this could damage.

As for testing so what if it was tested in an Avensis with the T180 engine, This is my point as John said himself a car is not a car and many Avensis parts are very different to an Auris and that proberly includes the oem ECU map apart from drive train etc. the engine is the same who says anything else is? all tyres look the same but work very different, the Auris may not even be available in T180 in Germany, the box was made for T180 engines not specifically Auris. So has never been tested properly on an Auris T180/SR180 and is not mapped to that specific car or this cars drive train etc. You said yourself here the Auris is a rare car yet you now insult Kingo again for not having sold enough kits to Auris customers I never did John just made a point of saying he had hundreds of customers for this box so I asked for these people to take time to answer a few questions I am interested in but instead I get people like you making a personal verbal attack at me for asking these questions when I point out what you just have above, the fact that they are rare is the reason it took Kingo a while to get one, and in fact sales volumes of them are low enough that Toyota have stopped selling this model. Kingo said he has retailed 25 kits on here, No you are wrong John says he has only sold approx 25 kits for an Auris T180/SR180 so doubts many users will read this, could you please read the thread and know your facts before making an verbal attack on someone. but sells others through other dealers around the world, the world is not all on this forum!

Quote RickD4d: you forget the Auris T180 / SR180 is a rare car so please keep to facts and not pie in the sky???? You posted a link url="http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.98.htm"] but this refers to a Mercedes not an Auris T180 so by your own words keep to the facts and not pie in the sky! I think you have just been eating that pie, this is fact of my personal experience of when I fitted this type of box and the problems that can arise through removing the tolerances / pushing the engine more and I will also add the box was from a company with a very good reputation and was not a £100 ebay special.

Its obvious you two have an axe to grind with Kingo for whatever reason, I have no axe to grind but would like more info on this product from users with an Auris T180/SR180 who have maybe had this fitted for 10k or more, I do think this is still overpriced but that is my opinion you demanded your graph and now you have it but still you rant! I never demanded the graph I might have stated we dont have one or evidence of the results but in my opinion I would prefer the experience of independent user who has one of these fitted, I will point out I could post a bank statement up that shows I have a billion pound in my account but would you believe that? (again I will point out that I dont believe John did this with his dyno chart)

As above but in my opinion if you are going to have a go at someone I would read all the posts and make sure you know what your talking about ;)

Thanks James this is the point I am trying to make and why I would like to hear the experiences of Auris T180 / Sr180 owners who have this fitted and not because I have an axe to grind with John, I feel these questions answered by the above who have done 10-20k+ would give us all a good idea

1. How does the MPG compare when driven the same as without the box?

2. Have you experienced any problems at all?

3. What mileage have you done with your box fitted?

4. How do you rate your Auris T180/SR180 now with this box fitted?

5. Whos box do you have fitted? is this one of Kingo's?

6. Is it worth the money and would you buy this now knowing what you know?

7. How much more did your insurance cost?

Its the same for me, insurance won't insure with mods... I'm going to have to think of something

And on the other issue, well... i can see where people are coming from. The t180 is a complicated and expensive car when it goes wrong. I can see where people come from when the demand to know all the facts / whether a chip may cause excess wear etc. Especially these new chips that don't have histories. Unfortunately nice guys like Kingo are in the firing line.

Anyway, i'm concerned for different reasons. The extra power / torque i believe is fine for the engine, turbo etc.... Its the gearbox / clutch / flywheel for me.

But the insurance is the main problem.

Kingo,

T Sport:

I tried getting a quote online from More Than, but they don't allow for modifications online, so the process was useless.

When I rang them they said they couldn't offer me a quote for a car with a management system modification.

...I'm no kid btw, have max NCB (hugging huge baulk of timber for luck here!) and live in a low insurance region out in the sticks!

More than aren't that great when I had the CTR they refused to insure the wife on it point bank even through she was the same age as me (32 at the time) and had a full clean licence for 4 years and ncb +no accidents ever or points. I had to cancel the insurance and go elsewhere

Anyway, i'm concerned for different reasons. The extra power / torque i believe is fine for the engine, turbo etc.... Its the gearbox / clutch / flywheel for me.

yes I agree with this but Its the gearbox / clutch / flywheel / dcat / MPG and the reliability of the box for me, heard the horror stories of ecu lights flashing, not on Johns box so far but a 10k + user could answer most of these concerns

Kingo,

T Sport:

Thanks mate, along with what Rick is saying i think i am not going to have much luck with More Than.

I will give it a go nonetheless as i have been looking for the right excuse to get this piece of kit for a long while now.

Rick:

I cant answer all of your questions but again I will give an honest answer, not sure many will be able to answer you as we only started selling the T180 kit about 6 months ago (ish?)

1: Depends on the driver-If you thrash the car-No benefit, if you use lighter throttle and use the better torque you will see a small improvement, but this is down to each individual driver

2; NO I havnt had any faults or warning light come on, for any T180 box I have sold

3: Likely to be limited, we only started selling the T180 kit about six months ago

4: The car will go like a stabbed rat!!!

5: Not many make a kit, likely to be Steinbauer but expect to pay nearly double!

6: Try one, you get your money back in 30 days if its rubbish

7: Depends on each company, they all have different rules

Kingo :thumbsup:

Its the same for me, insurance won't insure with mods... I'm going to have to think of something

And on the other issue, well... i can see where people are coming from. The t180 is a complicated and expensive car when it goes wrong. I can see where people come from when the demand to know all the facts / whether a chip may cause excess wear etc. Especially these new chips that don't have histories. Unfortunately nice guys like Kingo are in the firing line.

But the insurance is the main problem.

Try RAC insurance OldSkoO1... they gave me a reasonable quote. But if you're punting around be sure to point out this box of tricks will increase your bhp by 20%+, it can make a difference as to whether they'll offer cover at all...

Thanks James this is the point I am trying to make and why I would like to hear the experiences of Auris T180 / Sr180 owners who have this fitted and not because I have an axe to grind with John, I feel these questions answered by the above who have done 10-20k+ would give us all a good idea

1. How does the MPG compare when driven the same as without the box?

2. Have you experienced any problems at all?

3. What mileage have you done with your box fitted?

4. How do you rate your Auris T180/SR180 now with this box fitted?

5. Whos box do you have fitted? is this one of Kingo's?

6. Is it worth the money and would you buy this now knowing what you know?

7. How much more did your insurance cost?

Nothing wrong with a bit of market research is there! I done exactly the same thing on a audio-visual forum when I was buying a new television. I asked for opinions and information regarding the suitability and reliability of the product:)

Rick:

I cant answer all of your questions but again I will give an honest answer, not sure many will be able to answer you as we only started selling the T180 kit about 6 months ago (ish?)

1: Depends on the driver-If you thrash the car-No benefit, if you use lighter throttle and use the better torque you will see a small improvement, but this is down to each individual driver

2; NO I havnt had any faults or warning light come on, for any T180 box I have sold

3: Likely to be limited, we only started selling the T180 kit about six months ago

5: Not many make a kit, likely to be Steinbauer but expect to pay nearly double!

Thanks John, I hope you can understand my concerns after this experience I had http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.98.htm when the safety tolerance where lowered etc, I will point out that I know the problem I had was a design flaw that effected all Mercedes Benz Diesel A class, Vito and Sprinter up to at least 04 and mine had a dodgy repair carried out by a Subaru dealer but the fact is the same that if I had not fitted the box then I might never have had the problem come back (this returned within 1000miles of fitting the box). I also know the diesel Civics have had many problems with the clutches so I would guess this would be made worse when they have been chipped and most people when moaning about there clutch wont tell you its chipped as they want Honda to repair it for free. This is why I feel someone who has done 10-15k in an Auris T180 / Sr180 would give very good and reliable answers to these questions, I will also add that if the box had been priced around £200 I would have given it a go but at £375 I am more cautious due to past experience of altering the manufacturer tolerances.

Cheers,

I'm ringing around but i've still got a long time to wait for my current policy to expire

Could someone point me to the page where the box is being sold. I need to know the official sellers figure for the increase in power. It seems 20% is the max some companies will accept.

Its quite annoying, specialists will not charge you extra for any mods but the insurance quote is v.high. I will keep looking, and i havent tried the RAC yet :)

Rick:

Thanks John, I hope you can understand my concerns after this experience I had http://www.aclassinfo.co.uk/mypage.98.htm when the safety tolerance where lowered etc, I will point out that I know the problem I had was a design flaw that effected all Mercedes Benz Diesel A class, Vito and Sprinter up to at least 04 and mine had a dodgy repair carried out by a Subaru dealer but the fact is the same that if I had not fitted the box then I might never have had the problem come back (this returned within 1000miles of fitting the box). I also know the diesel Civics have had many problems with the clutches so I would guess this would be made worse when they have been chipped and most people when moaning about there clutch wont tell you its chipped as they want Honda to repair it for free. This is why I feel someone who has done 10-15k in an Auris T180 / Sr180 would give very good and reliable answers to these questions, I will also add that if the box had been priced around £200 I would have given it a go but at £375 I am more cautious due to past experience of altering the manufacturer tolerances.

I understand your concerns as I have heard of turbo and injector failures and sticking piston rings on both Renaults and Puegots which have beeen either chipped or remapped. Such faults seem only to develop after 10,000 miles or so.

But hey maybe Mr T builds a better product although the quality seems to have been dropping over the past few years.:)

Cheers,

I'm ringing around but i've still got a long time to wait for my current policy to expire

Could someone point me to the page where the box is being sold. I need to know the official sellers figure for the increase in power. It seems 20% is the max some companies will accept.

Its quite annoying, specialists will not charge you extra for any mods but the insurance quote is v.high. I will keep looking, and i havent tried the RAC yet :)

Johns website http://www.silverstoneautosport.co.uk/diesel-chip-kits.html ;)

Rick:

I understand your concerns as I have heard of turbo and injector failures and sticking piston rings on both Renaults and Puegots which have beeen either chipped or remapped. Such faults seem only to develop after 10,000 miles or so.

But hey maybe Mr T builds a better product although the quality seems to have been dropping over the past few years.:)

So Mr T does, but he built the Auris T180 / SR180 to with stand 177BHP not 210+

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links