Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Fault - Engine Starts, Splutters Then Stops

KurtStudent

Hi all,

1st post!

I have a problem with a 2003 avensis T spirit. its a 2 litre gasoline version.

The problem i have is; is that the car fires up then stops, as if its out of fuel. I dont know where the fuel relay is to test it and I dont know where the diagnostic port is.

Where is the diagnostic port? I have a paperclip, but what ports do i need to use.

Also from the fuel "valve" on the top of the engine there appears to be a small fuel leak from the rubber O ring.

Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know how to fix the non running engine.?

I have tried to remove the fuel valve but it appears to be stuck fast, but looks like someone has tried to remove it before. so I tightened the bolts further to ensure a good fit.

I have changed spark plugs and get a good spark. but when turning the eninge over without spark plugs i cant see any fuel being pushed out of the cylinders. there is a faint fuel smell.

and yes there is a full tank there.

I really feel this is a issue of the relay sticking or something is clogged. for months now the car has struggled on motorways at 70 mph.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

If the fuel pump or its relay were faulty I doubt very much the engine would even start. If the engine ECU finds the fuel pressure can't be maintained for obvious safety reasons it automatically shuts down the system assuming there is a leak. From you desription it would seem the fuel pressure switch is either faulty or leaking so in my view I would suspect that were the problem lies. As I cannot see the engine I cannot advise on how to remove the unit. Could someone previously used some adhesive or sealant causing it to stick in situ., Poor fuel pressure would also reduce engine performance - hence the struggle to accelerate.:)

If the fuel pump or its relay were faulty I doubt very much the engine would even start. If the engine ECU finds the fuel pressure can't be maintained for obvious safety reasons it automatically shuts down the system assuming there is a leak. From you desription it would seem the fuel pressure switch is either faulty or leaking so in my view I would suspect that were the problem lies. As I cannot see the engine I cannot advise on how to remove the unit. Could someone previously used some adhesive or sealant causing it to stick in situ., Poor fuel pressure would also reduce engine performance - hence the struggle to accelerate.:)

James I think you are right. From my experience this could be so.

I will try to take some photos if i can to show the problem.

i am sure that when the leak is stopped the problem will go away.

Does anyone have a link to the parts list or a big green book? i might be able to show where the problem lies there?

Hi all,

1st post!

The problem i have is; is that the car fires up then stops, as if its out of fuel. I dont know where the fuel relay is to test it and I dont know where the diagnostic port is.

Where is the diagnostic port? I have a paperclip, but what ports do i need to use.

Also from the fuel "valve" on the top of the engine there appears to be a small fuel leak from the rubber O ring.

Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know how to fix the non running engine.?

I have tried to remove the fuel valve but it appears to be stuck fast, but looks like someone has tried to remove it before. so I tightened the bolts further to ensure a good fit.

I have changed spark plugs and get a good spark. but when turning the eninge over without spark plugs i cant see any fuel being pushed out of the cylinders. there is a faint fuel smell.

I really feel this is a issue of the relay sticking or something is clogged. for months now the car has struggled on motorways at 70 mph.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Hi

My 1st instinct reading about your problem is on the safety issue.. If you are checking spark at the plugs and I presume your doing this with the spark plug in the end of the lead earthed against the vale cover and you have a fuel leak in the fuel rail... you know where I'm going with this... Please be careful!

That aside Yes the fuel leak with have a major effect on the running capability of your engine.

1st replace any leaking "O" ring on the fuel rail

then once the engine is running and if it is still poor disconnect 1 injector at a time and see if there is any difference in the idling as you disconnect the injector.

If you find 1 that doesn't make a difference then see if you can get hold of a noide light and place in the injector connector, this will flash when the ecu is sending a signal to the injector.

Let me know how you get on.. can PM me anytime.

Hi all,

1st post!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Hi

My 1st instinct reading about your problem is on the safety issue.. If you are checking spark at the plugs and I presume your doing this with the spark plug in the end of the lead earthed against the vale cover and you have a fuel leak in the fuel rail... you know where I'm going with this... Please be careful!

That aside Yes the fuel leak with have a major effect on the running capability of your engine.

then once the engine is running and if it is still poor disconnect 1 injector at a time and see if there is any difference in the idling as you disconnect the injector.

If you find 1 that doesn't make a difference then see if you can get hold of a noide light and place in the injector connector, this will flash when the ecu is sending a signal to the injector.

Hi Chap!

Yeah Fuel and sparks.. agreed I am certinaly keeping careful!

I have found something!

please see photos. the 1st is the shot of the engine bay.. the second is of a nut with two red arrows. When the engine tries to start 3-5 drops of fuel come from one of the two arrows.. i cant see where exactly and i cant tighten the nut...

This is definately the problem!!!!! this coincides with poor fuel economy and the no running option.

How can i fix this?

btw, i have spent the last 10 years of my life with MR2's .. I have done engine changes before, so im not a novice, but with todays modern higher pressure fuel lines im a little cautios. In this case i find this valve impossible to remove. so i cant check the precise location of the leak.

Rolf assistance would be REALLY helpful!!!

:)

http://www.sportsdykker.com/vf101/phpbb2/e...73_dsc01691.jpg

http://www.sportsdykker.com/vf101/phpbb2/e...3_dsc01692a.jpg

Hi all,

1st post!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Hi

Hi Chap!

Yeah Fuel and sparks.. agreed I am certinaly keeping careful!

I have found something!

please see photos. the 1st is the shot of the engine bay.. the second is of a nut with two red arrows. When the engine tries to start 3-5 drops of fuel come from one of the two arrows.. i cant see where exactly and i cant tighten the nut...

This is definately the problem!!!!! this coincides with poor fuel economy and the no running option.

How can i fix this?

btw, i have spent the last 10 years of my life with MR2's .. I have done engine changes before, so im not a novice, but with todays modern higher pressure fuel lines im a little cautios. In this case i find this valve impossible to remove. so i cant check the precise location of the leak.

Rolf assistance would be REALLY helpful!!!

:)

http://www.sportsdykker.com/vf101/phpbb2/e...73_dsc01691.jpg

http://www.sportsdykker.com/vf101/phpbb2/e...3_dsc01692a.jpg

Hi Kurt

Could you PM me your registration and Chassis number and I'll have a look at the Toyota EPC and see if that union is part of the fuel rail..

Thanks

Carl

I found some info in the Engine repair guide, assuming yours is a 1AZ-FSE engine.

The arrows in your picture seem to point at the fuel inlet connection of the fuel pump.

You cannot get at it, unless you remove the fuel pressure pulsation damper (the tin box on the right) first.

With the fuel pressure pulsation damper removed, you can disconnect the fuel pipe from, what's presumably called, the Union Bolt.

However, there's a warning "not to loosen the union bolt on the fuel pump assy. If it becomes loose, replace the fuel pump assy with new fuel pump assembly."

It doesn't say why, but it may be a non-repairable part of the assembly.

So, use at your own judgement.

Take care, and Good luck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links