Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Steering

celica kid

hi i have a 96 st202 and when i rock the steering wheel from side to side i hear a knocking

noise i had a look under the car at the steering rack and the noise is coming from that where the tie rod arm goes through the rubber gaiter and joins to the rack on the drivers side does any one know what the problem could be. any advice would be a help

I may have the same problem!

Do you get tramlining at times? And when overtaking get swaying when moving back into your lane? Maybe this is called understeer or oversteer?

But yeh i've got that knocking!

there seams to be a lot feed back coming up through the steering wheel the car feels lose at the front end while driving. the shocks, outer tie rod end and ball joint are fine. i was talking to friend today he said that it could be ware in the joint between the inner tie rod and the steering rack going to get it up on the ramps in the morning take of the rubber gaiter and have a proper look. what ever it is its definately effecting the front end handling of the car

might be the steering rack mount bushes

Sent my rack for reconditioning a few months ago. They said there was some free play at the pinion so they'ed dress it up as good as possibe, not sure how. It made a difference but not much, probably need a new rack to solve the problem if its that. You can get from Toyota at £700+, probably not worth it as other companies i looked at on internet done new ones at under £200 but i'd rather make sure its the steering for sure. I sometimes think it might be the bigger alloys. The previous owner put them on so they could be the wrong offset or its suspension parts but nothing was found to be wrong being checked for MOT or at MOT centre although i did'nt specify the problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links