Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Update Iq Bulbs

MD1

Hi

Not interested in going down the xenon road but would like to update the bulbs to something a tad brighter? Anyone done this and what type of bulb did you go for in the end - have changed the ones in our Aygo Black to Philips (best buy from autoexpress) and they've made a hell of a difference.

Cheers and H N Y!

MD

You say you dont want to go down the xenon route but I have recently.

Its such a difference and so easy to fit.

Also if you want to go back to the normal bulbs for any reason its a 2 minute job.

I bought two kits, one from China and one from the UK (its still a Chinese one).

UK one was a bit more expensive but easier shoud there need to be a warranty claim as the one I bought from China had a faulty balast and it takes about 2 weeks for a new one to arrive.

Now I will have a spare should I have any problems.

Dave, thanks for this, I've been watching your antics with both ya running lights and bulbs. I'm total rubbish at DIY with the car and just about manage to change the bulbs - saying that when I did our Aygo ones I had to pop to the dealer as one of them was a right :censor: to fit!! Was gonna ask them to pop new bulbs in for me when the car is in for all next week - long story, front bumper respray due to mark under the lacquer, bonnet respray thanks to a stone hitting it from a friendly lorry - looks like a gun shot hole! Also new trip and sorting out rear wiper thats hitting my toyota rear spoiler!! One month old that's all! I thought they could fit the bulbs as I think they owe me don't you!!!!

Cheers though,

btw, loving your running lights - I WANT - but again lack of tech knowledge means no way!!

Michael

btw are the replacement bulbs H4???

Hi,

the bulbs are 9006 type and fit in as a direct replacement. The only thing u have to do is cut a hole in the cover that gives u access to the bulb and put the new wiring through it. Then mount the balast with cables and or screws.

Then it's just plug and play. No other cabling required As it grabs it's requirements from the original plug. So really the only hard bit is cuting the hole and mounting the balast. Both very simple.

you're making it sound very easy Dave, am I right in thinking we should really have washers etc for xenon (my Cooper S certainly had them with xenons??) it not is it gonna be a case of removing them when the MOT comes in the must further distance!!??

Do you have links to where you purchased from???

Cheers

MD

Hi guys,

Keep in mind that in some countries (in France at least), it is legally required to have:

- Automatic level control for the headlights (and not manual like we have in the iQ)

- Headlights washer

...to have xenon bulbs in the headlights.

This is for obvious reasons: the washer is to prevent diffusion of the xenon light by dust on the lens, and the automatic level control... do I need to explain? :D

I really, really think you should be very, very careful with the way you adjust the level of your headlights if you don't have the aforementionned equipment, for the safety of the other users of the road. Almost daily i'm blinded by some jackys who irresponsibly put 55W xenon bulbs in their old crappy car and who do not watch the level of their lights. Be careful, please - don't be one of these jackys :D

Happy new year everyone

thanks uski!

You can repeat these words several times, but ....

The rules are clear, but some like to break the rules.

If you change the outside lighting in this way, the iq is not allowed to "run" on the continent (maybe on some islands!) :ffs:

So far I have not had any complaints about my lights.

I do some work for the local police headquarters over here and the only comments I get from them when driving in is what a cute car. Some also comment on how neat the driving lights are. They dont ask me to remove them.

I have not been flashed once from on coming traffic when the lights are on yet when I was in my M3 I was getting flashed almost every night.

I rang my local MOT testing station and the authroised testing person|I spoke with said there are no rules for after market xenon kits at the moment, so until I find them creating a problem or Toyota release their own kit I will keep them on.

So as long as I stay over here and dont travel abroad I'm ok, but then its only a 5 minute job to change both bulbs back to normal again.

Oh and MD1 here is the link to the bulbs I'm now running with a 6000k colour.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/9006-35w-ULTRA-XENON...=item563511b73a

I don't have any complaints too.

OK you have 2 years warranty but it's only 35W.

Mine are 55W and only 30€

for 60€ I can get 2 kits (1 on the car and 2 ballasts & 2 bulbs as spare parts :D )

not sure that the quality is different. chinese is chinese :eek:

I run a 50w version form the same person that i gave the link for, just a colleague has the 35w and to be honestcouldnt see much difference.

With regards the UK ones I bought (yes still Chinese) the ballast has better mountings available.

I run a 50w version form the same person that i gave the link for, just a colleague has the 35w and to be honestcouldnt see much difference.

With regards the UK ones I bought (yes still Chinese) the ballast has better mountings available.

right

I bought 35W high quality kits in 2008 (H1, H4 & H7) & there is no real difference w 50W 9006 of my iQ (30€) :)

in 2008, quality of kit was better (wires & maybe ballasts) but price was 150€ !!

thanks uski!

You can repeat these words several times, but ....

The rules are clear, but some like to break the rules.

If you change the outside lighting in this way, the iq is not allowed to "run" on the continent (maybe on some islands!) :ffs:

You are right BUT there is a BIG BUT: they do not check these things so the risk of getting caught is virually non excistent.

If I just want to change the bulbs for more powerful traditional type bulbs ie Phillips or ring for example what am I looking for, H4's?????

When I asked the dealer the type I got a complete blank look!

I know you guys are using hid but just wanna change the bulb as I've already done in kates aygo, nice and simple and legal!

Cheers

MD

If I just want to change the bulbs for more powerful traditional type bulbs ie Phillips or ring for example what am I looking for, H4's?????

I know you guys are using hid but just wanna change the bulb as I've already done in kates aygo, nice and simple and legal!

Cheers

MD

For iQ, original HIR2 are the more powerful traditional bulbs (better than 100W bulbs).

If you want more lumens, you have to choose 9006 HID.

thanks guys for you help - me thinks the easy answer for now is to do nothing and save the pennies!! :D

Just shows how great this forum is when you need a straight forward answer, Mr T was hopeless - "bulb" "no idea"

Should I worry that my month old iQ is with them for a whole week sorting out 'issues'!!!! :o

Cheers

MD

For iQ, original HIR2 are the more powerful traditional bulbs (better than 100W bulbs).

If you want more lumens, you have to choose 9006 HID.

hi there everybody . Could you specify the following . bulbs 9006 are both scales xenon or there is the possibility to have the high beam halogen .

When you say 9006 do you mean the 9006/2 because 9006 i think is a single beam bulb

thanks and keep up the good work

• 1 year later...

I do some work for the local police headquarters over here and the only comments I get from them when driving in is what a cute car. Some also comment on how neat the driving lights are. They dont ask me to remove them.

I have not been flashed once from on coming traffic when the lights are on yet when I was in my M3 I was getting flashed almost every night.

I rang my local MOT testing station and the authroised testing person|I spoke with said there are no rules for after market Xenon kits at the moment, so until I find them creating a problem or Toyota release their own kit I will keep them on.

So as long as I stay over here and dont travel abroad I'm ok, but then its only a 5 minute job to change both bulbs back to normal again.

Hi there, I bought my daughter an IQ about 1.5 years ago. my wife and i drive BMW's with HID and i have to say the we love the little IQ, but the headlights are pity full, irrespective of them being the HIR technology.

My wife is now threatening to sell the IQ because of the dismal lighting! This sounds drastic to me, let alone expensive.

So, I see that you have changed to HID and have provided a link to the items on eBay.

My questions are A) are you still hapy with them? B) do you have any photos of under the bonnet showing what you have done with the ballasts? C) was it a dramatic change in lighting performance ( its not a problem with the £50 odd cost, just don't want to chase my tail doing this mode as sometimes this can happen.

thanking you in advance

Dario

are u a bat?

A bat?, why a bat?

what have i said to elicit this question?

lol it was a joke in terms of needing super bright lights :P (i.e. bats are blind)

naa ive got uprated bulbs, if u dont want to mess on with a HID kit you could try philips diamond vision hb4 (9006) clip a tiny bit off them and they fit perfectly. they are probably your best bet.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links