Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hey All

sealslayer

becareful of any mica white's. they look really good but any touch up in the future will be a mare and expensive.

i might go for a commercial white and clearcoat it for extra shine.

mud flaps were std fit but they have a sheet steel inner core for the mounting points. these rot out and the flaps fall off. most likely whats happened.

they arnt cheap from toyota though. think i was quoted £80 a pair

becareful of any mica white's. they look really good but any touch up in the future will be a mare and expensive.

i might go for a commercial white and clearcoat it for extra shine.

mud flaps were std fit but they have a sheet steel inner core for the mounting points. these rot out and the flaps fall off. most likely whats happened.

they arnt cheap from toyota though. think i was quoted £80 a pair

That's the main reason I wanted a standard white, but now everyone seems to come here with them as mine gets closer to completion! :lol:

I will have a few bits that others don't, so I'll be sticking with the gloss white. :D :naughty:

go for toyota Super White :thumbsup:

That's what I meant by gloss white. :D

040 Super White it will be. The other things that I have ordered should set it apart from the rest, so I'm not too bothered anymore. :)

I started some of the painting, I asked for the whitest white they had in the paint shop and boy is it white !!!

This is my first attempt painting with 2k and it really is superb paint compared to cellulose. I've heard so many horror stories regarding the fumes and smell etc but there was virtually no smell even just a few feet away from the shed so I think it will be ok for me to paint the Shell in the garage rather than getting it taken to a paint shop.

I don't think I've got the air/paint ratio correct yet though as there was a little bit of orange peel on the wing and the paint seemed to come out the gun rather blotchy. Hopefully the panels I've painted will be dry enough to move tomorrow and then I'll have another go on the next set of panels :)

gti11.jpg

gti12.jpg

Good work but it is quite orange-peeley, especially if you can see it on camera. :P No disrespect meant by that comment, however. ;)

I'm sure you could just polish that out? Or do you reckon you will need to totally re-do it? :g:

That looks like Toyotas 040 Super-White to me, beautiful colour, too bad mine is mainly orange now..... :unsure::lol:

The spattering occurs due to too much paint in the mix? Sounds logical to me.... but I am most likely wrong with that statement lol.

what size jet are you using on your spray gun? should be about 1.4mm and you dont need a lot of air pressure (about 40-50 psi is plenty) also did you mix to the correct ratio? usually 2 parts paint:1part hardener:10%thinner but your paint shop should have the correct mix ratio for thier system.

its not the smell that gets you its the cyanide in the mix that gets you. you should really have an air fed hood but at the very least a good quality respirator for organic compounds. i sprayed a whole car once and felt a tad ill for a week

what size jet are you using on your spray gun? should be about 1.4mm and you dont need a lot of air pressure (about 40-50 psi is plenty) also did you mix to the correct ratio? usually 2 parts paint:1part hardener:10%thinner but your paint shop should have the correct mix ratio for thier system.

its not the smell that gets you its the cyanide in the mix that gets you. you should really have an air fed hood but at the very least a good quality respirator for organic compounds. i sprayed a whole car once and felt a tad ill for a week

I've got a respirator and bought two new cartridges before I started so I should be ok, the shed door is wide open and as soon as I'm done I'm out of there.

1.4mm nozzle and everything else as you've said, It seems I'm only getting the orange peel effect on the sides of panels. Where the panel lays flat I get a perfect finish. The peel isnt too sad and I should be able to flatten and polish it out after I've given it a couple of weeks to harden.

I've got the air pressure at 35 psi and tbh it seems to work better when the pressure drops when the compressor kicks in so I'm really a little baffled at the moment as to what could be causing the problem, maybe I just suck at spraying :)

Edit: after doing a little more googling I think I may have been spraying too close, I'll try uping the pressure a little and trying to stay further back from the panels tomorrow.

Could somebody give me some info on how the sunroof mechanism works? I can hear the motor chugging away but theres no movement from either side. The OS looks a little rusty and I'm presuming that the rust maybe stopping it from moving.

the panel is connected to two sliders, one either side. these are on two toothed cables that pass a drive cog on the motor. sounds like either the cable or cog may be damaged.

you can try opening the roof while some one tops down the rear edge, may just have seized.

the panel is connected to two sliders, one either side. these are on two toothed cables that pass a drive cog on the motor. sounds like either the cable or cog may be damaged.

you can try opening the roof while some one tops down the rear edge, may just have seized.

Ahh ok thanks, I think the OS cable may be stuck as thats the one that looks rusty. I'll have to take it all apart and have a proper look, I really didnt want to take the head lining off but I guess I'll have to...another job added to the never ending list :crybaby:

Ahh ok thanks, I think the OS cable may be stuck as thats the one that looks rusty. I'll have to take it all apart and have a proper look, I really didnt want to take the head lining off but I guess I'll have to...another job added to the never ending list :crybaby:

It's not too hard mate so don't despair.

You'll need a small flat-head screwdriver, phillips screwdriver and I think that's it.

You'll have to take trim pieces off from around the rear windows, so make sure that none of the clips are lost when you pull off the trim. It can be very irritating when you notice trim rattling because you have lost some! ;)

Major change of plan.... :o

I've come to the conclusion no matter how good I think I can get this paint job it will never be as good as the car deserves.

I flattened down the wing I painted and the gloss shine has completley gone, so its time to start saving for a proper paint job by the pro's...

What really pee's me off is the amount of money I've wasted on materials, spray gun, hose etc...it must run into nearly £300 :(

Now I've got to try and find a decent paint shop that won't break the bank, I'm hoping as all the panels are off that the labour costs will be cut down by quite a bit.

I've come to the conclusion no matter how good I think I can get this paint job it will never be as good as the car deserves.

I flattened down the wing I painted and the gloss shine has completley gone, so its time to start saving for a proper paint job by the pro's...

What really pee's me off is the amount of money I've wasted on materials, spray gun, hose etc...it must run into nearly £300 :(

Now I've got to try and find a decent paint shop that won't break the bank, I'm hoping as all the panels are off that the labour costs will be cut down by quite a bit.

Alrite mate, you have come a long way so far and done a very good job with prep and all that so I think it would be a shame not to carry on and

finish it youreself! The first time I got hold of a spraycompressor I was banging my head over mixtures and so on but once you start getting it right

its a very rewarding feeling and if patient the results can be amazing! :D

I hope you keep going but I do understand the frustration!

This is perfectly normal....When you flatten down the paint you have to buff it back to a shine. My Advice to you is to buy a electric buffer and concentrate on one panel at a time. it is well worth investing in one for any car just remember to keep sprayin water on the panel to avoid burnin the paint. Took me about half an hour to flatten and buff a front quarter panel! Unbelievable finish.....!! I wouldn't trust a professional with it ,judging by jobs i've seen done. Remember ya get what ya pay for.......Especially when it comes to painting a car

This is perfectly normal....When you flatten down the paint you have to buff it back to a shine. My Advice to you is to buy a electric buffer and concentrate on one panel at a time. it is well worth investing in one for any car just remember to keep sprayin water on the panel to avoid burnin the paint. Took me about half an hour to flatten and buff a front quarter panel! Unbelievable finish.....!! I wouldn't trust a professional with it ,judging by jobs i've seen done. Remember ya get what ya pay for.......Especially when it comes to painting a car

Yeah I did polish by hand with Farecla g10 compound which is the ultra fine grade and mutton cloth and I can still see the small scratch marks from the wet sanding and the paint just looks dull Maybe I should have started with g6 then moved onto G10, I'm just worried I'll never get the gloss back that I had when it was first sprayed. Even with the horrible orange peel it had a really nice gloss shine to it. Only other option I can think of is to flatten the whole car when its sprayed and then give it a couple of coats of lacquer.

Do you think this polisher would do the job ? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

***** this is making my head hurt....time to get drunk :ffs:

ha yeah i know how ya feel. Yeah that buffer looks prefect for the job. That compound is very good when used with a buffer, buffing by hand can produce good results but you won't get it the way you want it. I used 1500grit wet and dry then, 2000 and then 2500. then use the compound you were using before and then use something like auto glym super resin or any really fine polish. Trust me its well worth buyin!! you could flat it down and respray it but likelyhood is you'll get orange peel again and mayd even runs and have to do the same. I had alot worse orange peel then urs and mine is now like a mirror;).

After much debate weighing up the pro's and con's of painting it myself I've booked the old girl into a paint shop for the 15th March to have it properly painted and oven baked. The thought of having to flatten and polish the whole car just filled me with dread, I just know it would have ended up looking crap.

I got a pretty decent quote of £375.00 as I'll be supplying the paint and the car will be ready for them to just wipe down and paint, I'll also take down the bumpers and skirts etc once I've finished priming them all and see if they can paint them aswell for a little extra, hopefully they will be able to do the whole lot for £500 If I'm lucky.

In the mean time I need to flatten the panels that I had already painted along with checking over the rest of the car to make sure I've not missed anything :D

• 3 weeks later...

Wohhooo....Got her back from the paint shop today..... :D

It worked out a little more than I was originally quoted as I asked them to go over anything that I may have missed and they needed another 1.5L of paint as well.

I'm so glad I had it painted professionally, theres no way I could have ended up with the finish that they produced.

Now Comes the joy full part of putting it all back together again.

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

paint3.jpg

paint4.jpg

Beautiful!

I get so bloody jealous of clean GTi's it drives me mad. I wish I had the bloody money! :crybaby:

What paint did you use? Toyota or Lexus white?

urgh I need to make some progress with mine soon or I will go mad with envy...

EDIT: The only thing I would have done differently is that I would have left the water channels above the doors black aswell as the door A-frame. But that's just me. :D

the gutter has a black plastic knock on cover so that will be black i imagine.

as for the frame and b post mask up, key and spray with satin black paint.

looking awesome though.

as soon as im off my crutches and on my feet again i really am going to start on my rolla

Beautiful!

I get so !Removed! jealous of clean GTi's it drives me mad. I wish I had the !Removed! money! :crybaby:

What paint did you use? Toyota or Lexus white?

urgh I need to make some progress with mine soon or I will go mad with envy...

EDIT: The only thing I would have done differently is that I would have left the water channels above the doors black aswell as the door A-frame. But that's just me. :D

TBH I've got no idea what the paint is. When I bought the paint I asked for the whitest white they had. It seems easy to match though as they ran out when it was being painted and had to buy more from a different stockist.

looking awesome though.

as soon as im off my crutches and on my feet again i really am going to start on my rolla

Yeah the plastic trim is black that fits along the roof I didn't have that fitted when I took the photo's.

I know what your both saying about the tops of the doors, I thought that it should be black to match the plastic that covers it, but I'm not sure what I'll do about that.

Its a easy part to paint that even I couldn't mess up but now I've got one side of the car finished it doesn't really look out of place being white.

I think I'll wait until the whole car is completley finished then see how it all sits together, if needed I'll buy a can of 2k ready made so I don't have to mess about with the compressor etc.

looking awesome though.

Why are you on crutches at all!? :huh: :o

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links