Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hey All

sealslayer

Beautiful!

I get so !Removed! jealous of clean GTi's it drives me mad. I wish I had the !Removed! money! :crybaby:

What paint did you use? Toyota or Lexus white?

urgh I need to make some progress with mine soon or I will go mad with envy...

EDIT: The only thing I would have done differently is that I would have left the water channels above the doors black aswell as the door A-frame. But that's just me. :D

your car looks really nice mate i have just got a quote to get my bodywork done the bloke wants £200 to plate the sunroof repair the n/s rear arch and sort out a bit of rust on the n/s front wing and paint it i hope to have it all done in the summer im not sure if you guys think thats a fair price or not i have use him before and his work seems really good i couldnt fault him when i had my mk1 nova he replaced both rear arches and that turned out really well.

no need for 2K paint for door frames a std can of satin black is all thats needed.

on crutches as last monday my knee swelled up!! was somthing called pre patella bursitis, in then became infected and led to my knee having a 1 1/2 inch cut down each side and flushed out and 5 days in hospital. gettin better now but still a bit stiff and sore.

no need for 2K paint for door frames a std can of satin black is all thats needed.

on crutches as last monday my knee swelled up!! was somthing called pre patella bursitis, in then became infected and led to my knee having a 1 1/2 inch cut down each side and flushed out and 5 days in hospital. gettin better now but still a bit stiff and sore.

Ouch sounds pretty nasty. Sorry to hear of your affliction... :(

I hope it gets sorted soon! ;)

I'd like to get my sunroof plated but I don't know how much it will cost me, also shoudl I plate both or one? And if one, which one!?.... so many choices! :lol:

After putting most of the car together I realised the door really did need to be black after all.

sating.jpg

I also finished the last of the painting today, I didn't have time to give the wing mirrors and rear number plate light surround to the paint shop so I've had to do them myself along with the spoiler which has now been painted 3 times in total :censor:

When I picked the car up the spoiler had been resting against some gas bottles at the paint shop and as soon as I picked it up the paint peeled off..!..so I left it there for them to paint again.

When I got it home I was just about to fit the spolier when it decided to jump off the cabinet It was laying on and hit the floor, proceeding to break one of the corners and chip all the paint off. I thought they were made of plastic but it appears they are fibre glass, so I had to repair the corner and try my hand again at painting.

I also had a dabble with the sunroof mechanism in between the coats of paints and it seems the motor is knackered. When the motor sits at its correct angle the cog seems to hardly move but if you turn it at a different angle it starts to spin.

I managed to manually get the mechanism to move by using a large screwdriver in the slot that sits behind the cog but its really hard to move so Its starting to look like I need new everything :(

Is it possible to take the runners apart or is it a complete sealed unit?

So I need to now know if its possible to buy the required sunroof parts from toyota or if anyone has the working runners and motor for sale?

Nice work mate, shame about the spoiler. The doors will look far better when it's all complete!

You can remove everything from the sunroof, I remember reading it in Haynes at some point but I'd be buggered if I could remember exactly what to do. It's a shame that they don't have a winding mechanism.

Nice work mate, shame about the spoiler. The doors will look far better when it's all complete!

You can remove everything from the sunroof, I remember reading it in Haynes at some point but I'd be buggered if I could remember exactly what to do. It's a shame that they don't have a winding mechanism.

I had a look last night but couldn't see how you actually get access to the runners that move the sunroof. I think I'll just try soaking the whole damn thing in WD40 to try and release all the rust inside.

I've got the MOT booked for saturday so It looks like I'll have to put it all back together again until I can find a motor etc...bummer cos I know what I'm like , once the cars all done and finished I won't want to take all the roof lining off again :wacko:

id swap you my complete sunroof mechanism for yours and £40 but you will need the headlining down again.

gald is coming on though. its always the same the more careful your being the more likely it is that something gets damaged. when i was doing mine i dropped a newly painted and assembled mirror and walked past the car and bent the open fuel flap back :censor:

all the best for the MOT

id swap you my complete sunroof mechanism for yours and £40 but you will need the headlining down again.

gald is coming on though. its always the same the more careful your being the more likely it is that something gets damaged. when i was doing mine i dropped a newly painted and assembled mirror and walked past the car and bent the open fuel flap back :censor:

all the best for the MOT

I might just take you up on that offer,does that include the motor? thats what seems to be holding mine back now. I've thrown lots of wd40 along the runners and its now moving but it sounds really rough and it does feel a little tight in some spots.

thats for the whole thing (less the panel as yours has been sprayed and is the right colour :thumbsup: )

if you want to come up (remove headlining first) ill even give you a hand to swap it all over.

Well the day finally arrived and I actually got to drive her..!!

I was a little disappointed with the speed if I'm tbh, I remember my old Ae82 that really flung you back into your seat but this doesn't seem to be anywhere near as quick but the sound of that exhaust popping made up for it by putting a huge smile on my face :P

She past her MOT today with pretty much flying colours, only small problem was the O/S rear hand brake wasn't at 100% which I'll take a look at over the weekend, thank god for nice MOT inspectors :thumbsup:

What I did notice now that I can stand back at a good distance from the car is that it really doesn't look right without the mud flaps, it just seems to look a little bear at the rear so I'll have to try and get hold of some of those along with a few other niggly bits.

It seems lots of people are breaking these on eBay but they never have the bits I need or don't bother replying :censor:

Once I get my tax on Monday from the DVLA office I'll have a nice excuse to drive her around all the local breakers yards looking for bits n bobs

the mud flaps were still available last year when i enquired from toyota, they werent cheap though. think its was £80 the pair.

ACKK !! Help needed... :help:

I just went into the garage and noticed a puddle of water underneath the rear N/S arch, it seems that the little cubby hole that sits behind the bumper has been filling up with water :censor:

How is the water getting in here? I can't see anyway for the water to splash up inside to create the amount of water that was on the floor....

EDIT: I forgot to mention I had been driving the car in the rain so the water hasnt appeared from nowhere :)

Also in my infinite wisdom I removed the rubber grommets that sit at the bottom of the little cubby hole and covered them over, this was a rather bad move as I've had to make a new hole to drain the water from inside the arch.

I still need to know how the hell its getting in there though to prevent it from happening again...

help.jpg

I think it might be from the sunroof but iam not sure

yeah the sunroof drains go into the vents on the c pillar. make sure the tubes are in place. also check that the vent behind the bumper is sealed up around the sides

yeah the sunroof drains go into the vents on the c pillar. make sure the tubes are in place. also check that the vent behind the bumper is sealed up around the sides

Thanks guys, I'll take off the vent tomorrow and running a bead of silicone around it just to make sure its sealed properly and I'll have to drill a hole and refit those grommets but where exactly are these tubes?.

When I took the sunroof out I had a good look inside the little compartment that the sunroof slides back into but couldn't see any tubes, are they supposed to be in the rear corners of that compartment?

Ohh and Now I finally know what those vents are for on the side of the pillars,I thought they where there just to look pretty :) shame they didn't do a good job :ffs: or maybe I should have done a better job fitting the sunroof :help:

yeah the tubes are in the 4 corners of the sunroof housing. if you remove the c pillar trim inside i think you can see the tubes there.

i got rid of my vents and lengthened the tubes.

Mine wasn't sealed:

saturday2010016.jpg

saturday2010017.jpg

You have been warned...

the seal for it is attached to the vent itself, like a rubber tube.

i really think the sunroof on the gti has a lot to answer for. if you look at 1.3 GL's in the breakers they are pretty rot free!!

i really think the sunroof on the gti has a lot to answer for. if you look at 1.3 GL's in the breakers they are pretty rot free!!

Thanks again guys, I'll take all the trim off at some point over the weekend to make sure the tubes are in place....just when you think you've got everything finished something else comes along :)

Thanks again guys, I'll take all the trim off at some point over the weekend to make sure the tubes are in place....just when you think you've got everything finished something else comes along :)

Too right... I uncover something new every time I strip something down. :( But I have time to sort it so I'm not too bothered. :)

Another ball ache item has risen its ugly head... :ffs:

I now have a nice wheel bearing droning noise coming from somewhere but for the life of me I can't work out if its from the front or the back or which side its on..

I've jacked the car up and there is zero play in the front wheels and a tiny amount in the rears. I took it out with a local mechanic for him to have a listen and he couldn't tell which wheel it was coming from either. He did also say that you can't really tell if the front bearings have gone even if you do rock the wheel.

As these bearings are pressed on this could start to work out really expensive as I doubt there's anyway I can get them on or off.

Anyone got any good suggestions as to another way of trying to find which wheel its coming from? I've been quoted £50 labour + bearing cost which is about £30 but idealy I need to know which wheel rather than having them done in pairs which would work out at silly money :help:

they arnt hard to do yourself. i did all of mine with no press.

u sed the old races, which drift out no probs to install the new ones.

the rear ones are easy enough to grease and nip up, id start there.

Shame dude. I have decided to re-route my sunroof tubes to funnel into one pipe which will drain out through under the rear bumper. It will be a faff but totally worth it if it saves me this trouble with rust... :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links