Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lowering A Gti How Far, Any Ideas ?

RedBullAE92

Am shortly buying some lowering springs for my AE92 GTI, choices I've got seem to be 30mm, 35mm or 40mm. Anyone got experience of what's too low etc ? Car is running standard alloys and 185/60 tyres and will be tracked soon. Performance centre in Essex are doing kits for around £100, just wondered if anyone out there has any advice ?

Some say not to go more than 35mm, but I may go for 45mm. The problem you get is the shocks having to do the same work in a much shorter space, which make sit ware really quickly.

I wouldn't go more than 35mm just on springs, just to be careful....

i have only got a 35mm drop and had to roll the rear arches to fit 17" rims. at the end of the day there is such a thing as too low.

35mm alows the lower arms to sit paralell to the chassis which is the correct position. its all to do with roll centre.

i have only got a 35mm drop and had to roll the rear arches to fit 17" rims. at the end of the day there is such a thing as too low.

35mm alows the lower arms to sit paralell to the chassis which is the correct position. its all to do with roll centre.

I'll bear that in mind when fitting my coilies! :yes: ;)

Alrite mate, I have looked into this alot and there arent really any springs that go lower than -40mm mainly because

if u get lower springs when the car is jacked up or lifted the shock will extend further than the spring can and it pops out!

which unfotunatly is an instant MOT fail! :crybaby:

I did find sum shocks with shorter rods and custom springs can be made but the whole set will come in at just under £500 and

a full coilover kit is £600, it makes sense to go for coilovers if u whant to go lower and have sum spare cash otherwise its -30mm or -40mm

only! :angry:

For practicality you shouldnt go too low but as far as looks go the lower the better in my eyes! :thumbsup: