Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Check Engine light and Diagnostics code- How to narrow down

Toyotauser

I have a Toyota Camry-97 and had a Check Engine light. Got the diagnostics done and it gave 3 Error codes in the following order.

P0171 System too Lean.

P1135 Air-Fuel Sensor Heater Circuit Response.

P1133 Air-Fuel Sensor Circuit Response.

What can be the problem ? Is this due to Fuel system. do i need a tue up. Is some sensor created a problem. If yes, is the A/F Sensor and the oxygen sensor same or different ? How should i know which sensor in Bank 1 if there is sensor problem,

Need help from experts or someone who had this kind of problem.

The car is in great shape- coolant temp is fine, great mileage...etc had run for approx 62,000 miles.

If this is something i can get it done myself -would prefer this instead of taking the car to the dealer.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I currently have the same problem with yours. PO171 and P1133. Were you able to get these problems resolved? If you have, please let us know how.

Sounds like oxygen ( Hego ) sensor to me.

Before changing sensor, check your connections to make sure they are all secure.

I have a Toyota Camry-97 and had a Check Engine light. Got the diagnostics done and it gave 3 Error codes in the following order.

P0171 System too Lean.

What can be the problem ? Is this due to Fuel system. do i need a tue up. Is some sensor created a problem. If yes, is the A/F Sensor and the oxygen sensor same or different ? How should i know which sensor in Bank 1 if there is sensor problem,

The car is in great shape- coolant temp is fine, great mileage...etc had run for approx 62,000 miles.

If this is something i can get it done myself -would prefer this instead of taking the car to the dealer.

Thanks

I just got the exact same codes on my 98 Camry today. Appreciate if you could tell us how you have it fixed.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

I got the p1133 problem today when do the smog check. It's the air-fuel sensor circuit response problem. I remember I had the same problem 3 years ago but Toyota fixed it becaseu of it's still in warranty.

Do you know the best to fix this issue? If I have toyota dealer fix it, how much it might cost?

Appreciate for your response!

Mine is also 98 Camry. Since there are so many similar problem, do you think this is a common problem that Toyota should take care? I just called dealer, the quote is >$500. sigh.

If you fixed yours, can you share the details? I'd like to try by myself but have little experience about it.

Mine is 99 Camry. The check engine light came out at around 75800 miles. I also got the p1133 problem. If this is a common problem, will Toyota take care of it?

The light suddenly came off after I drove another 500 miles (I was on the way back from Florida when it came out). Do I still need to fix it?

Appreciate for your response!

Thanks a lot!

mine is 98. it has only 55k mileage. it has the same symptom --- engine light went on suddenly, then automatically went off after several hundred miles. then on suddenly again some time in the future.

this time, it suddenly went on 2 days before the smog check. so the check failed becasue of this 'functional error'. the guy told me it will cost $500 to change the sensor and fix it. the Toyota dealer also gave me the similar quote. I'm so frastrated.

It seems to me this is a problem with manufacture. I have the same problem 3 years ago. Toyopa changed it becasue it was still in warranty. But this p1133 (air-fuel sensor circuit) should work 100K according to the manual.

!!! What to do???

I called toyota service this morning and told them my situation. I was told that the computer keeps checking the problem and the car is okey now. I hope it won't come out again. Who knows?

• 1 year later...

I had a code P0171 and finally took it to a mechanic up the street that works on Toyotas. He replaced the Air Flow Sensor and said that 99% of the time that is the problem. I have not had any trouble or the light on but it has only been a few days. I'm confident that he will be right. He has been working on Toyotas for around 20 years.

Hope this can help you.

Linda

P0171 System too Lean.

What can be the problem ? Is this due to Fuel system. do i need a tue up. Is some sensor created a problem. If yes, is the A/F Sensor and the oxygen sensor  same or different ? How should i know which sensor in Bank 1 if there is sensor problem,

Thanks

• 7 months later...

mine had the same prob on a k plate 92 carina e xli had checked out buy toyota and they said that the ecu do give false error codes the emissions was ok 4 mot so that was that cheapist way round this is if you think you have fault codes is to dissconect the Battery 4 30 mins and the ecu will set to its defaults then its up 2 youto drive the car so it wiil learn at different speeds hope this helps :thumbsup: any one found a manual in pdf format let us know